IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

As far as I know, it also doesn't receive any new users. You can get a Razer ID and use that on a Forge TV but I don't think you can create a brand new OUYA account for an OUYA. In other words, if someone buys a used OUYA but never owned an OUYA before then they are buying a brick because you have to first create an OUYA account just to log into the console.

That's gonna suck. Guess I'll let you know. Maybe I can flash a custom rom like an android phone. Edited by adamchevy

I think Razer is supporting the old hardware, but I'm not sure. I got a Forge and it wasn't nearly as good, no external drive support and only a subset of the games, though it did support Google Play. Nvidia Shield would be better.

I thought about buying a shield. I couldn't justify the extra horsepower and cost. I'm only interested in retro games.

As far as I know, it also doesn't receive any new users. You can get a Razer ID and use that on a Forge TV but I don't think you can create a brand new OUYA account for an OUYA. In other words, if someone buys a used OUYA but never owned an OUYA before then they are buying a brick because you have to first create an OUYA account just to log into the console.

there support page doesn't work on their site, and razor don't list the ouya, so yeah it looks exstinct

Edited by D.Daniels

IMHO OUYA has come and gone.

I think that might be why I suddenly care. My retro senses are tingling!

This is good to know. OK, scrap that plan and switch to the retro-pi. At some point. I'm mostly just speculating right now.

• Like 2

So then 2nd hand OUYAs are essentially dead. Can't they be rooted or something? Idk.. Why things like so are even made in the first place.

So then 2nd hand OUYAs are essentially dead. Can't they be rooted or something? Idk.. Why things like so are even made in the first pl

The virtual store is too expensive, and the current gen consoles are expensive, so there is a under £150/$200 market for cheap gaming at the moment, unless you go for a last gen console, and people like new things. The Nes mini has only 30 games, yet you cant get one unless your willing to pay sellers 3 times the price.

Edited by D.Daniels

So then 2nd hand OUYAs are essentially dead.

For new users, yes. But an old user like myself can just log into my account on a used OUYA. That is until they turn off the servers completely and then I won't be able to sign into any including ones I already own.

Can't they be rooted or something? Idk.. Why things like so are even made in the first place.

Yes, but I don't know how it works. However, the OUYA is basically an app store in a locked down always online DRM box that you have to add a credit card and have an account to log in online before getting access to the console for the first time. Ironically, it was advertised as the first completely open console when there isn't much more they could have done to make it more closed. So, without the store it isn't exactly an OUYA which makes it kind of pointless over alternatives because it is more about the store than the hardware.

• Like 3

I thought about buying a shield. I couldn't justify the extra horsepower and cost. I'm only interested in retro games.

What were you looking to spend? The Shield tablet once they removed the stylus dropped down to $200 (price was $300.) It's one of the most powerful android items out there, and if an emulator or app is coded to specifically use the power of Tegra and not just a general ARM processor setup you get quite a bit more of a performance boost to tap into.

A nice perk of the Shield is that while it comes installed with Google Play for your store, it can use any of the other ones out there. I put the Amazon Store on mine so I could tap into my prime account for Prime Video streaming among other things, plus as we know Amazon is known for their weekly (daily? I forget) freebies for paid games/apps that rotate. The tablet is a little less beefy than the console, but the tablet at its roots can do anything the console does anyway (like the Switch!) Just pop a miniHDMI to HDMI cable into the side and lock that into your TV, use a bluetooth controller you have and you're set. I've done it, very easy, far easier than the sketchy setup my Nexus7 with just google on it (since its their tablet) I had before hand until it melted down and shorted out.

• Like 2

What were you looking to spend? The Shield tablet once they removed the stylus dropped down to $200 (price was $300.) It's one of the most powerful android items out there, and if an emulator or app is coded to specifically use the power of Tegra and not just a general ARM processor setup you get quite a bit more of a performance boost to tap into.

A nice perk of the Shield is that while it comes installed with Google Play for your store, it can use any of the other ones out there. I put the Amazon Store on mine so I could tap into my prime account for Prime Video streaming among other things, plus as we know Amazon is known for their weekly (daily? I forget) freebies for paid games/apps that rotate. The tablet is a little less beefy than the console, but the tablet at its roots can do anything the console does anyway (like the Switch!) Just pop a miniHDMI to HDMI cable into the side and lock that into your TV, use a bluetooth controller you have and you're set. I've done it, very easy, far easier than the sketchy setup my Nexus7 with just google on it (since its their tablet) I had before hand until it melted down and shorted out.

It was either a raspberry Pi 3 or something near that price range as the Pi makes a formidable emulator.

• Like 1

Nice. It's not coming to me for a couple of weeks.

Tell us about he screen's brightness and sharpness to your eye. Is it laminated or does it look like it's under a thick layer of glass?

How sturdy does the whole package feel? Do the railed controllers move easily?

Did you use the joycon straps? I didn't realize they had button extenders.

That dock doesn't seem to have much going on. I expected pogo pins like the 3DS docks, not a full-on USB C jack. Maybe that's for the first big revision. Does it guide the tablet portion in so you hit the USB C connection easily?

I'm thinking a pro controller for the dock would be the way to go, so I'm not always assembling and disassembling it.

Whoops, sorry I forgot about this thread.

@Flojo

The screen is bright and sharp, looks very impressive for a handheld. Even viewing angles are impressive with not much darkout from what I remember. The whole package feels sturdier than expected for what is a three piece portable unit. I was really amazed by that. Also the controllers don't fall out or anything after you press the release button, you kinda have to push them out which I see as a good thing. I didn't see any on the show floor with joycon straps, smart on them so people don't steal them. I didn't have any problem docking the unit on the first try, I didn't notice any guide but I won't be surprised if they're using some engineering trick to make it easier, then again the sides are parallel so I think the user will know what went wrong if they don't get it in. I didn't get a chance to try the Pro controller, it was only for Splatoon 2.

@toptenmaterial

The graphics were okay, you can tell this is no PS4/XBONE. For a portable system it's impressive, but on a TV it's not so. I played BotW on the TV and the jagginess of the characters were very noticeable, also textures and buildings seem blurry at times. You can tell this is a console that was designed to be played on the portable screen. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lower priced Switch in the future sold without the dock.

@D.Daniels

Link's control is different, it reminds me a lot of ICO/Shadow of the Collosus. Especially in the beginning where you have some fixed camera angles indoors. The controls also change depending on what you're doing. If you use the stick as a weapon the controls are similar to when you're unarmed but when you have the heavy axe the camera turns into a more rigid almost tank-like control scheme. The axe was my favorite weapon because if you hold the attack button Link swings around multiple times and eventually delivers a powerful blow. It takes a little practice to time it just right but perfecting your form is fun.

• Like 4

Yes, but I don't know how it works. However, the OUYA is basically an app store in a locked down always online DRM box that you have to add a credit card and have an account to log in online before getting access to the console for the first time. Ironically, it was advertised as the first completely open console when there isn't much more they could have done to make it more closed. So, without the store it isn't exactly an OUYA which makes it kind of pointless over alternatives because it is more about the store than the hardware.

I always wondered about it. But suspicions kept me away. Completely open? Open to whom? I see my bashings of such things are spot on.

These days a console will need to impress me with the ability work stand-alone and independent of any kind of server whatsoever. Including the switch should we take an interest in it.

OUYA seems easy enough to root.
https://www.s-config.com/root-the-ouya-google-play/
But unless you stumble upon it for free, I think a Pi would be a better solution, it's well supported and there's more going on in that ecosystem.

The Chinese Android microconsoles do look sketchy indeed. I'm sure they're fine (especially if you don't give up google credentials to them) but like OUYA, you'll be on your own if something doesn't work right. That wouldn't bother me, but if you're this late to the game, it's probably best to keep it simple.

I think if you're gonna get involved with a semi-DIY setup, that you get something that will be around for a while. It does get tiresome having to learn, learn, and relearn things that are similar, yet different, and different just because. Doesn't make sense to go off on a tangent either. Get something that others have and have praised. Safety in numbers, you know..

At this point in the evolution of emulation it's safe to go with the establishment. Ask me that 10 years in the past and I'd tell you to get as many emulators as are available. And that each one covers a different area of the emulatee. Today you can easily determine and settle in with the one best emu for each of the machines you're emulating.

• Like 1

I always wondered about it. But suspicions kept me away. Completely open? Open to whom? I see my bashings of such things are spot on.

These days a console will need to impress me with the ability work stand-alone and independent of any kind of server whatsoever. Including the switch should we take an interest in it.

They used "open" in a way that it seemed marketed to the open source movement with it being a revolution but then had a bait and switch to it to be more like the XBOX ONE before it did the 180. I've been a mod of OUYAForum since 2013 and was on board with what they made it out to be but they flipped flopped all over the place about what they meant by "open" that it is hard to explain but I'll try.

During the Kickstarter they were taken advantage of the word "open" to make people think of an open source console something kind of like how Mike Kennedy used "Retro" to make you think of old games when he was really meaning new games. That may not be a perfect analogy but something like that.

One of the ways it was "open" was that it was based on the open source Android and was marketed as hackable with hacking encouraged. However, they were using hacking more like doing console mods instead of hacking and/or modifying the software because even though it is based on Android they made their modifications to it proprietary. Months after it was already launched they had a terms of service pop up on the console that included terms about not hacking it among other things that you had to accept to access a console you already own. To add some extra clarity to how screwed up this was on the console they had a section called Play that are the games you own and a section called Discover that was considered the app store. So, these terms of service would make sense for the store itself(Discover) because that was obviously a service and no one would have reasonably assumed that by "hackable" they meant you could hack their servers instead of your own machine. However, since you had to agree to the terms to access the console at all it made it clear that they considered both Play and Discover and even the console itself the store/service even though they claimed it was just Discover that was the store. This was already evident based on the fact that you had to create an account and enter a credit card for getting access to the console at all instead of just Discover but the terms of service made it even more clear.

In places where they would market it like on Game Stop it would say things like,"No DRM or all-seeing eyes." which was an obvious reference to people's original concerns about the XBOX ONE being always online and being spied on with the Kinect and/or Microsoft just watching your behavior on the machine. But just having to log in to the machine online with no offline account that is separate from the store is a form of DRM and they allowed games with DRM. At the very least they should have had the games with DRM marked as such in the games' descriptions which was requested to them but they wouldn't grant even that. So, you would only find out that a game has DRM either after buying the game or after someone else did and included it in a community made list. But you would only figure it out if you disconnected it from the internet and/or lost internet service because some of your games wouldn't launch. Also, if you logged out without internet service you can't log back in. The same if and when they close their servers. In other words, when they eventually close their servers many of your games won't launch and for the ones that will launch you would have to make sure to never log out of your console again or you will get locked out of your console completely. They also had the all-seeing eyes because they would have to observe what you are doing to enforce their terms of service. Also, I'm not at liberty to fully disclose the details about what I'm about to say because I gave my word not to from my source but they once did an unethical and possibly illegal experiment that required observing the behavior of their users.

Anyway, I could go on and on but the point is that the OUYA wasn't what they made it out to be, OUYA, Inc. was entirely incompetent, and Razer was even more incompetent after buying them. I recommend that people stay clear of the now dead OUYA and now dead Razer Forge TV. There are better alternatives from more professional companies. Maybe someday Razer will do something proper with the OUYA name but that isn't today.

• Like 2

Pre orders are sold out, so I bought an ouya. Emulators!! Mount up.

You wouldn't happen to have a link on how to go about such, would you? I've toyed with the idea of getting an Ouya as a ROMbox, but I have no idea how to go about setting the thing up for it.

The servers are still active but the store is a ghost town anymore. Forge is moving ahead with their Cortex platform, so if you really insist on getting an Ouya as a ROM box, I would recommend getting the Razor Forge instead. Pretty soon they will stop accepting credit card payments over Cortex, reverting to a voucher system. I am unsure what will happen to the old Ouya store (now Cortex on the Forge) when this transition takes place.

Also you cannot use the Ouya at all without creating an account on it first, and many purchased games phone home to the server and default to a demo mode if the Ouya or the server is offline. While you could still sideload most of the emulators in the future if the store shuts down, you absolutely will need a preexisting account that is permanently logged in in order to sideload apps. And while there is still much free apps in the Ouya store, many of them are shovelware or nag you to buy the full version.

This. I was not aware that new accounts had been cut off.

If anyone is on the fence about buying a cheap Ouya just for the free emulators, don't. I recommend a Raspberry Pi 3 instead? It's on par with an Ouya in terms of CPU, has good support, and cheap enclosures start around $10.

• Like 3

OUYA "open" = you don't need to pay a license fee to develop on this. Nothing more.

Forge is just as much of a wasteland. While cute, with a good controller, it is seriously flawed and worse than OUYA in that it does not support external storage. Google Play compatibility is not great. A rooted Fire box from Amazon would be better.

Nvidia Shield if you want performance and PC game streaming. Or just use your computer.

Pi if you just want retro. Pi is great.

• Like 4

For new users, yes. But an old user like myself can just log into my account on a used OUYA. That is until they turn off the servers completely and then I won't be able to sign into any including ones I already own.

Well to Ouya's benefit, there is the fact that every unit can be used as a developer's console and can sideload apps. The issue however, is account creation and login in the event of server sunset. An Ouya with preexisting user account can be used indefinitely by sideloading apps. Most non-paid apps in the Ouya Store can be downloaded directly to a PC from an online source such as TotalOuya, then sideloaded onto the Ouya from said PC. To sideload, the Ouya needs to be connected to the same network (wireless or wired, doesn't matter) as the PC. You go into the developer mode, then select the sideload option. The Ouya creates an FTP server using a local IP address. You then enter the url into a web browser, and click-drag the Ouya APK file from the PC into the browser window. Next you close out the sideload window on the Ouya, and can find the APK under the "Developer's" menu. From there, you can install and run the app. If the app is a signed app originally available from the Ouya store, it will show up on the "Play" menu. Otherwise you can access it anytime from the "Developer" menu. It is also possible to sideload most Android APK apps, although many of them will not run without access to a touch screen, including those which can use external controllers, because you first have to set it up to use external controllers using the default touch menu. The workaround is some apps let you use a mouse in lieu of a touch screen.

In short, the Ouya possibly could have been a nice homebrew console through the sideloading process, but like has been mentioned above, if you did not register an account (or logged off and cannot log back in because server = gone), the device is essentially bricked. Many users were hoping for a "final update" to remove account/server codependance on Ouyaforums.com, but the update never came, and it seems most users have moved on rather than continue the little system as a homebrew console.

Therein lies the dangers of microconsoles in a downloads only marketplace. Many failed consoles of bygone eras which were often footnotes in the history of videogames still function with their incredibly rare and obscure libraries, if you are one of the few who collects defunct systems, but the Ouya sunset proves, most mobile / microconsole type devices not connected to a big name like Android will simply cease to function after the twilight.

@AdamChevy, when you get your Ouya, check to see if an preexisting account is present and currently logged in. If not, and you are unable to create one, then the device is bricked sadly. Otherwise, create an account immediately. The requirement for a valid credit card I believe was removed in subsequent firmware updates unless yours is untouched from around launch. If a prexisting user account does exist and is logged in, I would advise you to delete the credit card info and only download free apps (to protect the idiot who left their account active and logged in), or just sideload stuff from TotalOuya or somewhere. Never log off once signed in, or like others have said, the Ouya will brick if it can't reconnect to a server.

EDIT I think we have derailed this thread enough with Ouya talk. Maybe a mod could split them to a new topic? :P

• Like 3

Whoops, sorry I forgot about this thread.

@Flojo

The screen is bright and sharp, looks very impressive for a handheld. Even viewing angles are impressive with not much darkout from what I remember. The whole package feels sturdier than expected for what is a three piece portable unit. I was really amazed by that. Also the controllers don't fall out or anything after you press the release button, you kinda have to push them out which I see as a good thing. I didn't see any on the show floor with joycon straps, smart on them so people don't steal them. I didn't have any problem docking the unit on the first try, I didn't notice any guide but I won't be surprised if they're using some engineering trick to make it easier, then again the sides are parallel so I think the user will know what went wrong if they don't get it in. I didn't get a chance to try the Pro controller, it was only for Splatoon 2.

@toptenmaterial

The graphics were okay, you can tell this is no PS4/XBONE. For a portable system it's impressive, but on a TV it's not so. I played BotW on the TV and the jagginess of the characters were very noticeable, also textures and buildings seem blurry at times. You can tell this is a console that was designed to be played on the portable screen. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lower priced Switch in the future sold without the dock.

@D.Daniels

Link's control is different, it reminds me a lot of ICO/Shadow of the Collosus. Especially in the beginning where you have some fixed camera angles indoors. The controls also change depending on what you're doing. If you use the stick as a weapon the controls are similar to when you're unarmed but when you have the heavy axe the camera turns into a more rigid almost tank-like control scheme. The axe was my favorite weapon because if you hold the attack button Link swings around multiple times and eventually delivers a powerful blow. It takes a little practice to time it just right but perfecting your form is fun.

Hi ShopDrop&Retro. I noticed from photos recently surfaced online, there appears to be vent holes on the top and bottom of the Switch tablet for what I assume is active cooling, likely required for high performance when docking. Could you feel any airflow or hear a fan running inside the unit? It was probably an incredibly noisy environment where you tested it out so there's a pretty good chance you didn't notice it running.

Well to Ouya's benefit, there is the fact that every unit can be used as a developer's console and can sideload apps. The issue however, is account creation and login in the event of server sunset. An Ouya with preexisting user account can be used indefinitely by sideloading apps. Most non-paid apps in the Ouya Store can be downloaded directly to a PC from an online source such as TotalOuya, then sideloaded onto the Ouya from said PC. To sideload, the Ouya needs to be connected to the same network (wireless or wired, doesn't matter) as the PC. You go into the developer mode, then select the sideload option. The Ouya creates an FTP server using a local IP address. You then enter the url into a web browser, and click-drag the Ouya APK file from the PC into the browser window. Next you close out the sideload window on the Ouya, and can find the APK under the "Developer's" menu. From there, you can install and run the app. If the app is a signed app originally available from the Ouya store, it will show up on the "Play" menu. Otherwise you can access it anytime from the "Developer" menu. It is also possible to sideload most Android APK apps, although many of them will not run without access to a touch screen, including those which can use external controllers, because you first have to set it up to use external controllers using the default touch menu. The workaround is some apps let you use a mouse in lieu of a touch screen.

In short, the Ouya possibly could have been a nice homebrew console through the sideloading process, but like has been mentioned above, if you did not register an account (or logged off and cannot log back in because server = gone), the device is essentially bricked. Many users were hoping for a "final update" to remove account/server codependance on Ouyaforums.com, but the update never came, and it seems most users have moved on rather than continue the little system as a homebrew console.

Therein lies the dangers of microconsoles in a downloads only marketplace. Many failed consoles of bygone eras which were often footnotes in the history of videogames still function with their incredibly rare and obscure libraries, if you are one of the few who collects defunct systems, but the Ouya sunset proves, most mobile / microconsole type devices not connected to a big name like Android will simply cease to function after the twilight.

@AdamChevy, when you get your Ouya, check to see if an preexisting account is present and currently logged in. If not, and you are unable to create one, then the device is bricked sadly. Otherwise, create an account immediately. The requirement for a valid credit card I believe was removed in subsequent firmware updates unless yours is untouched from around launch. If a prexisting user account does exist and is logged in, I would advise you to delete the credit card info and only download free apps (to protect the idiot who left their account active and logged in), or just sideload stuff from TotalOuya or somewhere. Never log off once signed in, or like others have said, the Ouya will brick if it can't reconnect to a server.

EDIT I think we have derailed this thread enough with Ouya talk. Maybe a mod could split them to a new topic? :P

Thanks for the help. I really want to buy a switch. I hope they have enough available on launch day at a store near me. If the Ouya doesn't work out, I'll just move on to another emulator solution. The computer I had hooked up to my downstairs tv that I was given for free kicked the bucket. It was my go to for emulation. I thought it would be fun to try something else. Anyways the Switch is going to be great I hope, because I just bought some ntdoy stock. Edited by adamchevy
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help. I really want to buy a switch. I hope they have enough available on launch day at a store near me. If the Ouya doesn't work out, I'll just move on to another emulator solution.

Pre-orders seem healthy, so I'm not considering it very likely that they'll be easily available the launch week. It might be at least a month or two before stock stabilizes and you can just easily walk into a store and get one. You never know, though. In any case, it's not like there's a big incentive to be there at launch anyway. The launch line-up is relatively weak and it seems like there will be few, if any, onboard features available on the unit itself.

I personally pre-ordered from Target, but I don't think I'll get mine until the following week after launch since I wasn't going to pay beyond the free shipping. I took advantage of the 5% off using my Target card. I then pre-ordered Zelda, Bomberman, and Binding of Isaac on Amazon to take advantage of their significant pre-order discounts via Prime. I'm taking a wait and see approach on other titles like Arms and Mario Kart, as well as some of the titles further out. In any case, while I'd vastly prefer to have digital-only versions of games, I'm going to have to see how the whole account system shakes out. If I'm limited to retail releases, I'll suspect I'll be limiting my purchases just like I did on the Wii U (and to a lesser degree on the 3DS).

• Like 1

Pre-orders seem healthy, so I'm not considering it very likely that they'll be easily available the launch week. It might be at least a month or two before stock stabilizes and you can just easily walk into a store and get one. You never know, though. In any case, it's not like there's a big incentive to be there at launch anyway. The launch line-up is relatively weak and it seems like there will be few, if any, onboard features available on the unit itself.

I personally pre-ordered from Target, but I don't think I'll get mine until the following week after launch since I wasn't going to pay beyond the free shipping. I took advantage of the 5% off using my Target card. I then pre-ordered Zelda, Bomberman, and Binding of Isaac on Amazon to take advantage of their significant pre-order discounts via Prime. I'm taking a wait and see approach on other titles like Arms and Mario Kart, as well as some of the titles further out. In any case, while I'd vastly prefer to have digital-only versions of games, I'm going to have to see how the whole account system shakes out. If I'm limited to retail releases, I'll suspect I'll be limiting my purchases just like I did on the Wii U (and to a lesser degree on the 3DS).

I feel the same way about buying Switch games. I agree with the accounts. Nintendo really needs to take measure their. Good tip on Amazon, it's always nice to find another use for my prime account. Edited by adamchevy