IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

The attachment controllers are horrible, you better have fingers the size of a 10 year old.

I don't think they'll be that bad when connected to the tablet, as they're almost identical to 3DSXL: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-the-size-comparison-1791177092

On their own, yeah pretty tiny. I suspect I'll rarely if ever use them that way.

Good to see you back in action. :-)

• Like 1

Does anyone know how Walmart in-store preorders work? A couple of hours ago my wife said she ordered a Switch, BOTW Master Edition, Super Bomberman R, a pair of Joy-Cons in both colors, and the Joy-Con Charging Grip. I'm not entirely sure if that is the exact list but that is what she claimed based on the pictures I showed after she told me. Anyway, to her understanding, our Walmart is getting 100 consoles and if you pay full price upfront you definitely get one but if you just pay $75 like she did you just get put on the list but can get bumped off of it with the $75 lost if others pay the full price upfront. Does that sound right and if not how does it really work?

Pretty sure Walmart isn't getting the BOTW Master Edition, just the Special Edition.

I can't speak for walmart, but I remember in the past many of the game stores around the old EB and Software Etc (earlier Gamestop days too.) You'd go to the counter and you'd get the choice, but it was more of, you pay like a percentage up front which usually was like $50 or so, and you're now locked into a list, but it would slide. The stores did to to make people more hungry to pay up front, so they'd encourage you on the list, but then tell you to pay more or you can forget getting one if others do and you're too cheap to do so.

I'd call the store. I know people that Gamestop and EB burned in the past doing this garbage because they would go into the store day one with the receipt after waiting in line for pick up to be told, well we got 100 of them, but you didn't give us enough so we gave it to someone else. I'm surprised more people didn't try and choke someone over it because it's just a sleazy tactic really. Don't tell someone it's only a preorder if not enough people pre-PAY in advance, because otherwise you're just on a waiting list for the second, third, or fourth delivery run as they come in, as long as more people don't prepay up front first before you.

Yeah Gamestop has a clear first come, first served policy. Minimum deposite $50 systems, $5 games. You can cancel your preorder anytime and get a refund. They don't even force you to get store credit vouchers. If they oversell preorders, then last in, first cancelled. And if you miss picking up your preorder after the 48 hour deadline, and none available, you can cancel for refund or wait for restock. And it is worth it to show up early in the morning two days later to see if anyone forgot about it, or would-be scalper who preordered ten units from ten stores and didn't pick up all of his/her loot. Honestly I have never been screwed by Gamestop preorders, and fortunately they don't require a PRO membership to reserve merchandise in store. Any company who requires a subscription or membership to preorder goods, I wouldn't waste my time with.

Also I wouldn't trust any kind of preorder system with Walmart. They find ways to fuck up day one product launches, much less preorder anything they don't have on hand.

Yeah Gamestop has a clear first come, first served policy. Minimum deposite $50 systems, $5 games. You can cancel your preorder anytime and get a refund. They don't even force you to get store credit vouchers. If they oversell preorders, then last in, first cancelled. And if you miss picking up your preorder after the 48 hour deadline, and none available, you can cancel for refund or wait for restock. And it is worth it to show up early in the morning two days later to see if anyone forgot about it, or would-be scalper who preordered ten units from ten stores and didn't pick up all of his/her loot. Honestly I have never been screwed by Gamestop preorders, and fortunately they don't require a PRO membership to reserve merchandise in store. Any company who requires a subscription or membership to preorder goods, I wouldn't waste my time with.

Also I wouldn't trust any kind of preorder system with Walmart. They find ways to fuck up day one product launches, much less preorder anything they don't have on hand.

GS must do things differently with online pre orders. I still haven't been charged anything yet.

That's something I always figured from the pre-Gamestop days, the company would take the money as kind of as an advance loan they could write off if someone cancelled, but in the meantime they could pop the dough into some kind of investment account or some other similar practices to make money off the pre-paying lemmings. I've never prepaid them anything because of that, they don't need my money, they want it. And I'd rather put it elsewhere with a binding promise without bribe to get it.

I went with best buy as I figured I could always terminate. They just check with a soft charge on whatever card you use, then they back it off as a pend, and then will really charge once it is shipped/picked up at store. Seems like the best way to me about it.

• Like 2

I wonder if I should pre-order the Wii-U version of Zelda? With all the hype being on the Switch version, I wonder if they're going to get in only a few copies of the Wii-U version.

Already did. My thoughts exactly. Either way, a good game to have for that system.

Edited by LiqMat

I wonder if I should pre-order the Wii-U version of Zelda? With all the hype being on the Switch version, I wonder if they're going to get in only a few copies of the Wii-U version.

That's how it was with Twilight Princess, which was one of the last GameCube games while being a launch title for Wii. It was hard to find. Or you could do the sane thing and buy it from the eShop, which never runs out of stock.

You wouldn't happen to have a link on how to go about such, would you? I've toyed with the idea of getting an Ouya as a ROMbox, but I have no idea how to go about setting the thing up for it.

OUYA has a whole bunch of free emulators in the store, it's quite simple to get going ...though you might want to use Dropbox or an external drive to get ROMs on there. OUYA is pretty old and won't receive any more updates.

Alternatively, a Raspberry Pi with RetroPie is a little more versatile, and more future-proof. It's super easy and it's about as powerful for the stuff that runs well on it.

Sega 32X and Nintendo 64 run better on the OUYA ...but if you care about those, you're better served with something more powerful, like an Nvidia Shield, which is a better all-around device with nicer controls, that can use apps from Google Play.

My biggest issue with emulation on the OUYA was lag. Even with my TV set to game mode I was having issues. Oddly enough, my lag decreased once I started using a PS3 controller instead of the original OUYA controller.

Use Wii remotes reduced lag as well. I was hoping to get the Nintendo Classic controllers to see if they would work on my Ouya but I have a better and cheaper chance finding/buying a unicorn.

You wouldn't happen to have a link on how to go about such, would you? I've toyed with the idea of getting an Ouya as a ROMbox, but I have no idea how to go about setting the thing up for it.

I would suggest going with something a little more current and mainstream. You'll get good support with R-Pi and even better with X86 rig. Shield, too, is worth a check. IMHO OUYA has come and gone.

Furthermore, as emulators evolve and get updated, you will want a hardware platform that can grow with them. OUYA isn't the right choice in that respect. Why not open a thread in the Emulation section?

• Like 2

It was only made available at three retailers, Gamestop, Best Buy and Amazon. Walmart is only getting the Special Edition.

I'm not doubting it but the person at the store must have shown her the wrong image because me showing her the three versions was her second time seeing them, she recognized the sword, and said that is why she chose that one.

OUYA has a whole bunch of free emulators in the store, it's quite simple to get going ...though you might want to use Dropbox or an external drive to get ROMs on there. OUYA is pretty old and won't receive any more updates.

As far as I know, it also doesn't receive any new users. You can get a Razer ID and use that on a Forge TV but I don't think you can create a brand new OUYA account for an OUYA. In other words, if someone buys a used OUYA but never owned an OUYA before then they are buying a brick because you have to first create an OUYA account just to log into the console.

• Like 3