IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

EDIT I think we have derailed this thread enough with Ouya talk. Maybe a mod could split them to a new topic? icon_razz.gif

I agree we should stop talking about the OUYA to quit derailing the thread but as a final side note it isn't entirely off topic because I remember myself and others on OUYAForum over the years making claims something like,"It is revolutionary that they are using these powerful Nvidia Tegra chips for a console and it won't be too long before they are powerful enough that these may become the future of console gaming." People laughed then but today there is a home console that can be taken on the go as a handheld with a very power Nvidia Tegra chip in it. The OUYA was Tegra 3 but the Switch is Tegra X1(at least) icon_smile.gif :

x1-graph-100566544-large.jpg

• Like 2

The OUYA was Tegra 3 but the Switch is Tegra X1(at least) icon_smile.gif

And even the old Tegra 3 was strong enough to play some fun games, like Final Fantasy III (3D version), Towerfall, and just about every retro emulator out there. Playstation games ran great on it. If I lived in a cave and didn't know any better, the OUYA could be plenty of fun for a long time.

Switch will be all that, plus Nintendo's best. Just 29 days to go! Are you ready? I'm never ready for a new system, it always pushes out something old that I still like.

• Like 2

Switch will be all that, plus Nintendo's best. Just 29 days to go! Are you ready? I'm never ready for a new system, it always pushes out something old that I still like.

For me, I think that may be an easy one, but first, some unnecessary backstory... Since I have practically every videogame and computer system ever, I've had difficulty figuring out what goes in our main entertainment center in our family room and what gets placed elsewhere. I used to have current (like PS4/Xbox One/Wii U) and previous generation systems (like PS3/Xbox 360), as well as some streaming stuff, but that got way too cumbersome, particularly since the previous gen systems were heavier on the retail software (versus digital), and usually got played less versus the newer stuff. So, when an opportunity to re-do our entertainment center presented itself (basically to avoid our youngest daughter who had just started walking at the time monkeying with everything), I went down to the "basics."

So, right now, we have an Xbox One, cable box, and sound bar on the top of the unit (the TV is on the wall), using the main HDMI input, and a Retro Freak, PS4, and Wii U on the inside of the unit using HDMI 2 via a simple (yet effective) auto-switch. There's also a Chromecast on HDMI 3. Now, I do have another input on the auto-switch and I was debating about just attaching the Switch's dock to that, and having the dock on the top of unit, but I'm seriously considering just removing the Wii U from the equation entirely. I can't really think of a good reason to leave it in a primary position.

For me, I think that may be an easy one, but first, some unnecessary backstory... Since I have practically every videogame and computer system ever, I've had difficulty figuring out what goes in our main entertainment center in our family room and what gets placed elsewhere. I used to have current (like PS4/Xbox One/Wii U) and previous generation systems (like PS3/Xbox 360), as well as some streaming stuff, but that got way too cumbersome, particularly since the previous gen systems were heavier on the retail software (versus digital), and usually got played less versus the newer stuff. So, when an opportunity to re-do our entertainment center presented itself (basically to avoid our youngest daughter who had just started walking at the time monkeying with everything), I went down to the "basics."

So, right now, we have an Xbox One, cable box, and sound bar on the top of the unit (the TV is on the wall), using the main HDMI input, and a Retro Freak, PS4, and Wii U on the inside of the unit using HDMI 2 via a simple (yet effective) auto-switch. There's also a Chromecast on HDMI 3. Now, I do have another input on the auto-switch and I was debating about just attaching the Switch's dock to that, and having the dock on the top of unit, but I'm seriously considering just removing the Wii U from the equation entirely. I can't really think of a good reason to leave it in a primary position.

Have you brought every major Nintendo system up to the Switch? if so wow that's pretty cool

It be interesting to know your thoughts on the Switch vs the previous ones

Edited by D.Daniels

I hear that. Overflow and sacrifice is the name of the game.

I think my Switch will be mainly for me, in tablet mode. I have a spare HDMI on my office monitor so I'll stash the dock there, mainly for charging, but maybe for big screen play if I get a Pro Controller.

Our big TV is set up with the main inputs on the receiver, and a few extra HDMIs running other stuff that didn't play well without being directly on the TV. I don't have space for anything else without giving something up.

Tivo

AppleTV (honestly the best big-screen, retro-style party game player today FOR ME, with Asphalt 8, Crossy Road, Steppy Pants, Handbrake Valet, Alto's Adventure, Pac-Man 256, Minion Rush, many more)

PS3 (optical disc player of choice because of the nice bluetooth remote, full of oldies)

PS4 (I was soooo excited for No Man's Sky, which I never play)

Xbox 360 (pretty much a dedicated Kinect Party and Just Dance machine)

Xbone (mainly for Forza games nowadays)

Ouya (should stick the Pi in there, but haven't done enough retro to justify it lately)

Wii U (still the kid machine of choice, distant second to iPad)

Gamecube with GB player

analog switch box with Sega, Atari, Coleco, Intellivision Flashbacks all jumbled into the cabinet

everything else, including real retro consoles, is in storage. :-(

Of all that crap, the Xbone and PS4 are probably the least used. Sigh.

• Like 1

And even the old Tegra 3 was strong enough to play some fun games, like Final Fantasy III (3D version), Towerfall, and just about every retro emulator out there. Playstation games ran great on it. If I lived in a cave and didn't know any better, the OUYA could be plenty of fun for a long time.

I hope a lot of those games find their way on the Switch. Many of them are on Android but are different versions.

Yes, I have a few GX4000s. I tend to prefer to use a CPC6128plus, though. Here's my mostly complete listing of systems I presently own (mostly missing some prototype hardware I can't list publicly): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r8VempJSeZY6tnvZJo8HNMj7MVALv-pxi_w1j9i2mNI/edit?usp=sharing

As for the Wii U, it actually proved extremely disappointing to me, although my two oldest daughters did enjoy it for quite some time. The reason I have two is that I was contracted to write a book on it, but, soon after launch, it was already looking like a failure, and there seemed little reason to continue writing one. That proved a good move, especially after falling into that same situation with another failed system, the Vita. The time/effort put into that book wasn't worth it, because there was no market for it. Our second Wii U is currently in our master bedroom, where I have an Xbox One, and a mostly unused (at this point) Xbox 360 and PS3 (I also have another Xbox 360 in the basement, and one in my middle daughter's room, along with another PS3).

Anyway, although I regularly use and maintain many portable systems, I'm not a big portable gamer. I'm hoping that the Switch is the system that changes that, with the TV connectivity via the dock being a nice bonus. It will still ultimately come down to the software, though, and I'm hoping Nintendo can finally rectify the software situation (I wasn't a huge Wii fan for that reason, either).

After thinking about giving up the space and time of one of my other consoles I might hold off for a few months. I say might, because damn breath of the wild is one impressive looking game. But I'm in the middle of Lunar 2 on my Sega CD and Kingdoms of Amalur on the 360. It's hard to want to start something new, even as impressive as breath of the wild is.

Yes, I have a few GX4000s. I tend to prefer to use a CPC6128plus, though. Here's my mostly complete listing of systems I presently own (mostly missing some prototype hardware I can't list publicly): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r8VempJSeZY6tnvZJo8HNMj7MVALv-pxi_w1j9i2mNI/edit?usp=sharing

As for the Wii U, it actually proved extremely disappointing to me, although my two oldest daughters did enjoy it for quite some time. The reason I have two is that I was contracted to write a book on it, but, soon after launch, it was already looking like a failure, and there seemed little reason to continue writing one. That proved a good move, especially after falling into that same situation with another failed system, the Vita. The time/effort put into that book wasn't worth it, because there was no market for it. Our second Wii U is currently in our master bedroom, where I have an Xbox One, and a mostly unused (at this point) Xbox 360 and PS3 (I also have another Xbox 360 in the basement, and one in my middle daughter's room, along with another PS3).

Anyway, although I regularly use and maintain many portable systems, I'm not a big portable gamer. I'm hoping that the Switch is the system that changes that, with the TV connectivity via the dock being a nice bonus. It will still ultimately come down to the software, though, and I'm hoping Nintendo can finally rectify the software situation (I wasn't a huge Wii fan for that reason, either).

Thanks for the link

Your a bit older than me but I assume for us the Snes (maybe) was the last really great Nintendo system, hopefully the Switch does deliver. Your collection is cool, had a look at the link. You really could compare/review the Switch to any other Nintendo system.

Edited by D.Daniels

Yeah Prime is a real saver with that 20% off and free shipping combo for pre up to 2weeks post release stuff they offer it on. Also currently Binding of Isaac Switch is marked down around $4-$5 last I looked a day or two ago so even more of a cut. Going from $40 to $35 isn't bad, then you get another 20% off that $35 so another $7 off ($28~ for a $40 game.)

Flojo: Given how far FF has jumped the shark into a mess with the latest having dress shopping moments, damage free telegraphed boss fights, pushing a stalled car, and other boring dragged out garbage Dragon Quest is like that last line in the sand of quality long term RPG steadiness from a franchise. Even when they refine it enough, it still stays good to the roots and isn't a scattered hot mess.

Edited by Tanooki

Also currently Binding of Isaac Switch is marked down around $4-$5 last I looked a day or two ago so even more of a cut. Going from $40 to $35 isn't bad, then you get another 20% off that $35 so another $7 off ($28~ for a $40 game.)

Yeah, that was why I pulled the trigger on Isaac, the price. I originally only wanted Zelda and Bomberman for now (because I wanted something more fun and mindless to play outside of something relatively heavy like Zelda). I'm a huge Isaac fan, but already have versions for PS4, Xbox One, PC, Vita, and New 3DS, so, even with the added content, there really wasn't a huge incentive to get it. Price DOES make a difference, though, and, if something gets low enough, there suddenly may become a reason to get it (I'm looking at you, Switch 1-2-3).

• Like 1

Yeah, that was why I pulled the trigger on Isaac, the price. I originally only wanted Zelda and Bomberman for now (because I wanted something more fun and mindless to play outside of something relatively heavy like Zelda). I'm a huge Isaac fan, but already have versions for PS4, Xbox One, PC, Vita, and New 3DS, so, even with the added content, there really wasn't a huge incentive to get it. Price DOES make a difference, though, and, if something gets low enough, there suddenly may become a reason to get it (I'm looking at you, Switch 1-2-3).

Huh you too eh? That's the exact same three games I'm looking at. I think it's more than enough variety until something shows up a month or a few months later. You have the racing game, the Mario kart game, and various others trickling out on physical media so there's a decent pace known now. Surely there's more being held back for the big Switch 1st E3 blow out. And I do agree 1-2-3 Switch is way too expensive for what it is, especially if you don't have someone to regularly or often play with. It should have been a $30 game and/or a pack-in just as a teaser (like Wii Sports, and NintendoLand were.)

Edited by Tanooki

Just a clarification, the 20% for Prime is off of MSRP. You won't get a further discount if the price on Amazon drops before release unless that drop goes below $32 which is the discounted price.

Thanks for the help. I really want to buy a switch. I hope they have enough available on launch day at a store near me. If the Ouya doesn't work out, I'll just move on to another emulator solution. The computer I had hooked up to my downstairs tv that I was given for free kicked the bucket. It was my go to for emulation. I thought it would be fun to try something else. Anyways the Switch is going to be great I hope, because I just bought some ntdoy stock.

Get a Raspberry Pi 3 and a cheap enclosure from Adafruit. It will run almost everything from Atari to early 3D. I think N64 emulation especially has much improved with the new hardware revision.

Then install the latest version of RetroPie on it and throw in your favorite USB controller (or some console adapters from RetroUSB) and game on. Simply load the ROMs on a USB flash drive and it will auto load them into the Pi for you.

MAME is the only system that's a real PITA to set up, and requires some keyboard trickery. PM me if you need additional help.

I agree we should stop talking about the OUYA to quit derailing the thread but as a final side note it isn't entirely off topic because I remember myself and others on OUYAForum over the years making claims something like,"It is revolutionary that they are using these powerful Nvidia Tegra chips for a console and it won't be too long before they are powerful enough that these may become the future of console gaming." People laughed then but today there is a home console that can be taken on the go as a handheld with a very power Nvidia Tegra chip in it. The OUYA was Tegra 3 but the Switch is Tegra X1(at least) icon_smile.gif :

x1-graph-100566544-large.jpg

Yeah Switch is three generations removed from the Ouya's Tegra 3. I wished them to use an X2 chip, but this would have increased the price point by a lot, possibly pushing into the $400-$500 range comparable with the latest name brand tablets. Based on my calculations, the Switch tablet alone is only worth about $100 USD, comparable to some discount tablets (but thicker, more robust, and more powerful than all but the latest bleeding edge gear).

Nintendo Switch: +$300

2x Joycon: - $80

1x Joycon dock: -$30

1x Switch dock: -$90

Total remaining: $100 for the Switch tablet, not counting cables and packaging.

Get a Raspberry Pi 3 and a cheap enclosure from Adafruit. It will run almost everything from Atari to early 3D. I think N64 emulation especially has much improved with the new hardware revision.

Then install the latest version of RetroPie on it and throw in your favorite USB controller (or some console adapters from RetroUSB) and game on. Simply load the ROMs on a USB flash drive and it will auto load them into the Pi for you.

MAME is the only system that's a real PITA to set up, and requires some keyboard trickery. PM me if you need additional help.

Yeah Switch is three generations removed from the Ouya's Tegra 3. I wished them to use an X2 chip, but this would have increased the price point by a lot, possibly pushing into the $400-$500 range comparable with the latest name brand tablets. Based on my calculations, the Switch tablet alone is only worth about $100 USD, comparable to some discount tablets (but thicker, more robust, and more powerful than all but the latest bleeding edge gear).

Nintendo Switch: +$300

2x Joycon: - $80

1x Joycon dock: -$30

1x Switch dock: -$90

Total remaining: $100 for the Switch tablet, not counting cables and packaging.

It may not be as straight forward as that. The technology in the tablet may be worth more but their making a loss on it. Nintendo may bank on making money back from Zelda. The same way Microsoft did for the Xbox. I think Nintendo may have much more power up their sleeve.

Edited by D.Daniels
  • Like 1

Yeah, I suspect their cost for the accessories is far less than the replacement prices. They're in a business to make money. Since we're guessing anyway, I would break it out this way:

$250 Switch tablet

$30 Joycons

$10 dock (NO WAY that thing costs them anywhere near $90, it's an Apple-like markup)

$10 joycon holder, cables, packaging, shipping (maybe eating some costs here)

They seem to be sparing no expense with advertising this time around. I believe that will be money well spent.

Hi ShopDrop&Retro. I noticed from photos recently surfaced online, there appears to be vent holes on the top and bottom of the Switch tablet for what I assume is active cooling, likely required for high performance when docking. Could you feel any airflow or hear a fan running inside the unit? It was probably an incredibly noisy environment where you tested it out so there's a pretty good chance you didn't notice it running.

Nope, no noise from the unit either docked or in my hands. No abnormal heat/warmth either. After I was done with the demo I asked the guy if I could re assemble the joycon and re dock the unit, he let me and I didn't notice anything was disproportionately warm.

• Like 1

Yeah, I suspect their cost for the accessories is far less than the replacement prices. They're in a business to make money. Since we're guessing anyway, I would break it out this way:

$250 Switch tablet

$30 Joycons

$10 dock (NO WAY that thing costs them anywhere near $90, it's an Apple-like markup)

$10 joycon holder, cables, packaging, shipping (maybe eating some costs here)

They seem to be sparing no expense with advertising this time around. I believe that will be money well spent.

Nintendo on their site say custom Tegra, makes me think its more than we think

Edited by D.Daniels
  • Like 1