IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

exactly, you can get a honda vtech, but its not going to be the same as the one in the atom

old ones do the same job, there's a economic vs performance argument in why a 2600 uses a 6507 vs a full featured 6502, its an industry old game

I wasn't sure if your were taking the piss out of me there mate lol, as you spelt vtech like those kids computers and I kept thinking of the Intel atom, not the Ariel Atom (car). So googled Honda and it is actually called vtec minus the h and is used in the atom sports car :) lol

My knowledge of cars is limited.

Edited by D.Daniels

few situations...

1 they keep on track with the switch and the 3ds for a few more years competing with themselves, pulling a sega, in a already low seller vs high shelf space situation market

2 they gracefully end the 3ds as soon as they can, like with in the next 6 months to 2 years and position the switch as the replacement, effectively downplaying it the day switch comes out as a last er next gen mobile hybrid

3 they fk everything up, short supply resellers which are not burning shelf space, but employee time to stand out front in the cold to hand out tickets for some special crap instead of doing their job's cause once again, nintendo's market research is a magic 8 ball. Retailers get pissed off and nintendo is back to situation 1 where they are pulling a sega, for the third time in a row

gentlemen place your bets its 2:1 with an above average chance of beating the odd's just cause of the rabid faboyisim

I mean shit you got some yahoo's completely identifying themselves as obscure mario side attributes in both name and avatar, anything is possible

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

yeah that makes sense dude, so custom is more like fine tuning, for an F1 car

you can adjust certain things to get more or less of something

Sure, but "custom" doesn't necessarily mean something is better than stock. As others have pointed out, console manufacturers have a long history of using custom versions of mass produced processors and GPUs and sometimes those custom versions are seriously lacking when compared to the stock version.

Sure, but "custom" doesn't necessarily mean something is better than stock. As others have pointed out, console manufacturers have a long history of using custom versions of mass produced processors and GPUs and sometimes those custom versions are seriously lacking when compared to the stock version.

cheers for info dude, I didn't know that, I thought of custom as like create your own pizza from a pizza place which is the more expensive option than the set menu, but thinking about anytime I've ordered pizza and created my own, I can only afford 2 or 3 toppings, so I can see your point as to what manufactures do, they have a create your own cheese and tomato pizza with 1 topping, the box looks big

Edited by D.Daniels
  • Like 1

I think under the right circumstances a 3DS successor may make sense. The Wii U being discontinued and them doing their best to hide it under the rug makes perfect sense but since the 3DS has done well and still has life in it then it seems more wait and see. If the Switch does well but at the same time there is still a demand for a new 3DS from Nintendo fans that wants what the 3DS line can offer that the Switch can't like dual screen gameplay, a 3D screen, a slightly more portable clam shell design, controllers built on and with a D-pad because no Joy-Cons are involved, etc. then it may make sense. Especially if it was something like taking specs and features from the Switch and putting them in a 3DS form factor. Like both screens with a higher resolution especially the top for better 3D, the lower screen multi-touch, HD rumble, the same internal specs like the Tegra X1, etc, and still backwards compatible with the 3DS and DS lines. With the home and portable divisions now one it makes a lot of sense to just support the Switch to get as much first party games as possible but if they made a 3DS that was like a Switch then it may be much easier to make ports to the newer 3DS from the Switch or even the other way around than from the Wii U to the 3DS. However, nothing like that would make sense to me soon other than making a New 2DS with the New 3DS's specs as the new budget model.

• Like 1

It seems something was lost in translation regarding the 3DS successor.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/official_financial_results_qanda_clarifies_kimishimas_3ds_successor_comment

Nintendo might be wise in the future to create a cost reduced phone-sized Switch with smaller screen and permanently attached joycons (possibly with sliders instead of sticks), as an on-the-go portable solution for 3DS successor, while still maintaining the dockable unit as a home gaming console for big screen and around the house. They could sell it between $170-$200 as a budget ultra-portable version.

It seems something was lost in translation regarding the 3DS successor.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/official_financial_results_qanda_clarifies_kimishimas_3ds_successor_comment

Nintendo might be wise in the future to create a cost reduced phone-sized Switch with smaller screen and permanently attached joycons (possibly with sliders instead of sticks), as an on-the-go portable solution for 3DS successor, while still maintaining the dockable unit as a home gaming console for big screen and around the house. They could sell it between $170-$200 as a budget ultra-portable version.

Yeah, that makes more sense. I haven't seen and still don't see any scenario where a 3DS successor makes sense in light of the perfectly logical Switch, which I'll maintain until the end days was intended to be the replacement for both the Wii U and the 3DS, even if Nintendo doesn't want to say it.

I agree fully that the Switch's design can easily accommodate different models that run the same software, including something more suited to being a true portable. By the time they're ready to sunset the 3DS, say some time in 2018, the technology should be there to get the same 720/30 performance out of a portable Switch with twice the battery life (6 - 12 hours instead of 3 - 6), as well as an upgrade of the current model that can achieve the same type of performance we get out of the docked mode now. Anyway, whatever direction they choose, there are plenty of ways they can experiment. Of course, a lot of that does depend on how they handle the account system on the Switch. It HAS to be portable and not tied to a particular unit, otherwise there would be no real incentive for people to buy multiple Switch units.

• Like 2

While I agree with your analyses and predictions, those corporate statements don't contain very much information.

Oh sure, it's always just (hopefully) reasoned speculation. The only good thing with speculating on Nintendo stuff these days is that they're no longer quite as stubbornly rigid as they've been in the past. Market conditions have fortunately dictated that they act otherwise. That means that it becomes more practical to speculate about what they might do rather than what they should do (and in the past wouldn't), which I find much more interesting.

Yup if anything they're starting to become a bit more predictable instead of just predictably nuts because the market is forcing them to adapt (even if slowly) or die. They can't live on their own little island in the console industry anymore and survive which the Wii made fairly clear support wise, and WiiU fairly well brick to the skull obvious how that thing flopped unfortunately for them. I still believe they're probably a generation behind on the networking aspects of things, as with them now having a robust(?) paid service it's what Sony and MS had going firmly in the PS3 era. Things at least from that gen to this didn't really evolve much so the gap won't look so glaringly obvious, especially if they man up and make accounts for games, not games tagged to specific hardware.

Yup if anything they're starting to become a bit more predictable instead of just predictably nuts because the market is forcing them to adapt (even if slowly) or die. They can't live on their own little island in the console industry anymore and survive which the Wii made fairly clear support wise, and WiiU fairly well brick to the skull obvious how that thing flopped unfortunately for them. I still believe they're probably a generation behind on the networking aspects of things, as with them now having a robust(?) paid service it's what Sony and MS had going firmly in the PS3 era. Things at least from that gen to this didn't really evolve much so the gap won't look so glaringly obvious, especially if they man up and make accounts for games, not games tagged to specific hardware.

Speaking of the Switch's online service, which we have little info on still, I found it humorous that there were articles (and fans) praising, or at least pointing out, how much cheaper the annual cost of the service was going to be versus what Sony and Microsoft were doing. Outside of those who incorrectly dismiss the many games you get a month on each service, I'd say the values are there for the Sony and Microsoft offerings. Based on what little info we've been given, I'm not sure I see the value, even at a reduced competitive price, that we're getting with the Switch service. They'd really have to prove something to me after the trial period for me to pay an annual fee.

• Like 1

Yup I've noticed that as well. The only argument that made some sense to me was with the free ROM of the month club going on, is that they could be supposedly played online with/against others in 2P titles. That would be fairly huge to people who want to do any VC game online in general as well if that wasn't just someone pipe smoking making up stuff as I never dug to verify it. If it is true considering all the various 2(and some4) player NES and SNES titles I could see people really digging into using that service for that alone. Global balloon fight, tmnt4 (snes), gauntlet 2 on NES(4P game), Super Dodgeball, etc.

Yup I've noticed that as well. The only argument that made some sense to me was with the free ROM of the month club going on, is that they could be supposedly played online with/against others in 2P titles. That would be fairly huge to people who want to do any VC game online in general as well if that wasn't just someone pipe smoking making up stuff as I never dug to verify it. If it is true considering all the various 2(and some4) player NES and SNES titles I could see people really digging into using that service for that alone. Global balloon fight, tmnt4 (snes), gauntlet 2 on NES(4P game), Super Dodgeball, etc.

That would be fine if it wasn't a 30 day rental, but you don't actually get to keep anything like you do on the competing systems, and the ones on the competing systems are often fairly significant games. I mean, the bar has been raised, and Nintendo is really only half-heartedly sort of, kind of getting close to seeing it, but not really.

I'd be fine with free non-online versions of those games, even if it were one a month. Another alternative would be to let us keep the game (as long as the subscription was maintained), but disable online play until we paid an upgrade fee. I mean, there are a lot of scenarios there that don't involve taking the game away. It's really nothing more than an extended demo.

For $25 - $30 a year, I think I'm fine with what has been shown already, with the assumption that more is coming soon. I'm okay with supporting Nintendo, because I like them, and this isn't a whole lot of money.

Just for my own clarity, what are you "fine with what has been shown already?" I agree $25 or so is not much these days, but, as a person who doesn't play a significant amount online, I'm still struggling to see the value of the monthly rental. Perhaps that combined with strong discounts will make me change my tune, but I'd like to see more, particularly since the smartphone app-based online service seems clumsy at best.

All I know about is:

Online multiplayer

A free-to-play vintage game of the month with online multiplayer

Money goes to Nintendo

Your mileage will vary, but that's enough for me. I believe that having the free retro game available for just a month is a GOOD thing, because it guarantees there will be a decent community around it, and you will be able to find an opponent. If you love it, I'm sure it will be available to purchase, but the built-in community won't be there.

I'm certain they will add more value to it, plus they won't even charge any money for the first six months. The cost of three trips to Chipotle is not too much to ask, from where I sit.

• Like 1

I had a PS3 1 and 1/2 years ago and got Daytona, no one bothers to play it multi player. You may get the odd game with lots of people playing online like SF2 or something more common. Plus the younger people probably see something like GTA 3 as the Super Mario bros of their childhood and wont take an interest in the games you've listed, which I love too. I would love to see multi player Super Tennis or Neo Turf Masters.

Edited by D.Daniels
  • Like 1