IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

Poor bastards are gonna be in for one hell of a disappointment when they get their new Nintendo "Bait & Switch". $300 and then whatever one games right down the pooper.

Give it a year, but it depends upon games, the Wii U just didn't have enough and Nintendo are slow with their own.

Edited by D.Daniels

Is it just me or does it seem like the cool thing to just dump on this thing without having many facts to go on probably since they botched the WiiU so badly.

sorry, if I caused any offense, I'm not in the it will flop camp anymore, but I'm in the willing to give it time camp, its not because I'm an old time Sega fan boy, I laughed much at the 32x and Sega CD, they were the best doorstop and footstool Shigeru Miyamoto had in the 90's while he enjoyed a marathon session of DKC

Edited by D.Daniels

Is it just me or does it seem like the cool thing to just dump on this thing without having many facts to go on probably since they botched the WiiU so badly.

There is fear that Nintendo will continue anti-consumer policies, mess up their online, have supply problems and too few games and fail to attract third parties. I'm speaking for myself, but I think that those are all reasonable fears. As for me personally, I'm Nintendo for life and I hope the thing is a smash hit. :)

Edited by toptenmaterial
  • Like 1

DDaniels I wasn't thinking of your post I got what you meant. It's more of the 'I know better and they're going to fail again' type posts. It gets tiring. I'd rather just take a good wait and see attitude about it instead of condemning them to industry death before the thing even is in the publics hands. So much of it is still unknown but you have plenty of armchair industry experts who can throw the word (or variants of) assume around like assume = fact drawing some pretty weak conclusions to stir the pot. I also thing you're right, at least about 32X. SCD could have been fine but Sega was so negligent in their business handlings they even screwed up the fairly decent thing that was. But in the end yup doorstop and footstool cover it pretty well.

topten: I know, and all we can go by is what we see publicly or get told otherwise. I can't say I know crap about the online aspect of it other than anyone else in here, but the little I do know I get outside of what's seen online usually they are making some kind of better effort this time. What it would amount to for results in the end only time will tell. I get the fears, WiiU sickened me having it even in my presence eventually to the point it was the first modern era console I sold off in disgust. I just don't see so many parallels with this handheld/console combo, a few maybe sure, if they go a certain stupid direction with it, but they appear also to have grabbed up better support more in tune with their handheld efforts so I'm cautiously hopeful they haven't blown it. The last Nintendo console I've held onto was the Gamecube as I pitched the Wii too around the time of the WiiU because all the B-team poor man franchise spinoffs bugged me as did the lack of much unique to enjoy they at Nintendo didn't cook up (and which I found inferior to their Gamecube cousins.)

The anti-consumer policy if you mean how their stupidly bind their downloaded game leases to the hardware and not an account, that would not surprise me one bit, which is why I don't buy games from them like that without a gift card or a severely low price involved. The online who knows, seems like they're going for maybe a last gen PSN style setup of some sort, yet tethered in some unknown ways to ios/android apps which they're not discussing so trolls are creating the story for it. I think the big two would be supply problems, and if they try and smother some third party games with their own releases as they did like real pricks in the past. I do see them getting franchise titles for a 'console' (they insist it is at least one) that a Nintendo home system hasn't had in some cases as far back as the late NES/SNES era which I find just a little encouraging. Truth is we really can't say until the 2nd gen run of titles pop up after a good year on the shelf. Crap ports, solid ports, solid new games, unique experiences, or just fluff and bluster.

• Like 2

It seems something was lost in translation regarding the 3DS successor.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/official_financial_results_qanda_clarifies_kimishimas_3ds_successor_comment

Nintendo might be wise in the future to create a cost reduced phone-sized Switch with smaller screen and permanently attached joycons (possibly with sliders instead of sticks), as an on-the-go portable solution for 3DS successor, while still maintaining the dockable unit as a home gaming console for big screen and around the house. They could sell it between $170-$200 as a budget ultra-portable version.

If they did make a budget ultra-portable version then I don't think it would make sense unless it could be upgraded to be the big screen version because it could cause a PlayStation TV/PS Vita TV problem with game compatibility for ones that use the Joy-Cons for two player, ones best played with motion controls, etc. For an example, imagine someone buying this budget ultra-portable version with a smaller screen and permanently attached Joy-Cons and then they buy 1-2 Switch. They would discover that the game is unplayable and there would be nothing they could do to fix it.

So, how about this solution? Take the Switch as is but instead of Joy-Cons sliding on the sides there is a lower panel like on a 3DS that slides on that has all the Joy-Con buttons and maybe even a D-pad on it but no second screen and it can be flipped closed. So, the extra length from the Joy-Cons would be subtracted because all of the buttons would be below the screen when you flip it open. Also, the bottom panel couldn't be too thin because then the heavier Switch above it may snap off. So, the bottom panel would be around the thickness of the Switch itself but to justify that thickness more than just preventing the Switch from snapping off could be to add in an extra battery in the extra volume provided and then there is a USB-C jack that plugs into the bottom of the Switch. In other words, the Switch could be docked on top off a bottom controller/extra battery pack panel that folds up like a clam shell to form a carrying case that could fit in your pocket like a thick bulky wallet. Therefore, if someone bought a Switch with this bottom panel as a budget ultra-portable version then it could still be upgraded to use all the other Switch accessories because the bottom panel would be able to slide off of the same Switch to add Joy-Cons and fit on a dock. Also, someone that bought the big screen version could buy the same bottom panel as a separate accessory to switch their big screen version into an ultra-portable version.

To put that another way, there would be the big screen version that we know, an ultra-portable version that doesn't have Joy-Cons, a Dock, or Joy-Con Grip but does have this bottom controller/extra battery pack/clam shell carrying case panel, and then just the panel itself could be bought as a separate accessory for those who started with the big screen version because it just slides on where Joy-Cons do.

If they did make a budget ultra-portable version then I don't think it would make sense unless it could be upgraded to be the big screen version because it could cause a PlayStation TV/PS Vita TV problem with game compatibility for ones that use the Joy-Cons for two player, ones best played with motion controls, etc. For an example, imagine someone buying this budget ultra-portable version with a smaller screen and permanently attached Joy-Cons and then they buy 1-2 Switch. They would discover that the game is unplayable and there would be nothing they could do to fix it.

So, how about this solution? Take the Switch as is but instead of Joy-Cons sliding on the sides there is a lower panel like on a 3DS that slides on that has all the Joy-Con buttons and maybe even a D-pad on it but no second screen and it can be flipped closed. So, the extra length from the Joy-Cons would be subtracted because all of the buttons would be below the screen when you flip it open. Also, the bottom panel couldn't be too thin because then the heavier Switch above it may snap off. So, the bottom panel would be around the thickness of the Switch itself but to justify that thickness more than just preventing the Switch from snapping off could be to add in an extra battery in the extra volume provided and then there is a USB-C jack that plugs into the bottom of the Switch. In other words, the Switch could be docked on top off a bottom controller/extra battery pack panel that folds up like a clam shell to form a carrying case that could fit in your pocket like a thick bulky wallet. Therefore, if someone bought a Switch with this bottom panel as a budget ultra-portable version then it could still be upgraded to use all the other Switch accessories because the bottom panel would be able to slide off of the same Switch to add Joy-Cons and fit on a dock. Also, someone that bought the big screen version could buy the same bottom panel as a separate accessory to switch their big screen version into an ultra-portable version.

To put that another way, there would be the big screen version that we know, an ultra-portable version that doesn't have Joy-Cons, a Dock, or Joy-Con Grip but does have this bottom controller/extra battery pack/clam shell carrying case panel, and then just the panel itself could be bought as a separate accessory for those who started with the big screen version because it just slides on where Joy-Cons do.

Okay you kinda lost me there for a second. A few games like 1,2 Switch might not work well on an ultra-portable version, and others like ARMs might not be optimal in dual stick mode, though I imagine the option for a mini dock or hooking external joycons would be there. An ultraportable would just allow like you said sliding into a pocket or something, which the fullsize Switch needs a carry bag to do. A 3DSxL sized clamshell design (with only one screen on top) or PSP-GO style slide out screen might work too.

Okay you kinda lost me there for a second. A few games like 1,2 Switch might not work well on an ultra-portable version, and others like ARMs might not be optimal in dual stick mode, though I imagine the option for a mini dock or hooking external joycons would be there. An ultraportable would just allow like you said sliding into a pocket or something, which the fullsize Switch needs a carry bag to do. A 3DSxL sized clamshell design (with only one screen on top) or PSP-GO style slide out screen might work too.

Since I lost you the highlighted part is like what I was trying to explain. The Switch(just the handheld part without Joy-Cons attached) would be the top of the clamshell, the controls would be in the bottom of the clamshell, and the bottom of the clamshell would attach to the Switch using the same sliding and locking mechanism of the Joy-Cons. So, in the box you would get an ultra-portable Switch in a clamshell form factor but it could be taken apart to use other Switch accessories because the bottom of the clamshell can slide off to reveal just the Switch.

Industry believes so as well. I don't see too many people developing for it.

Word. I have no doubt in my mind the Switch will go on to sell 45-50 million units. Not quite as high as the Sony/MS consoles but a respectable amount surpassing even Game Cube and N64. If big N play their cards right; they have an Ace in the hand.

• Like 1

DDaniels I wasn't thinking of your post I got what you meant. It's more of the 'I know better and they're going to fail again' type posts. It gets tiring. I'd rather just take a good wait and see attitude about it instead of condemning them to industry death before the thing even is in the publics hands. So much of it is still unknown but you have plenty of armchair industry experts who can throw the word (or variants of) assume around like assume = fact drawing some pretty weak conclusions to stir the pot. I also thing you're right, at least about 32X. SCD could have been fine but Sega was so negligent in their business handlings they even screwed up the fairly decent thing that was. But in the end yup doorstop and footstool cover it pretty well.

sorry dude I was mistaken, thanks for the nice reply :)

Edited by D.Daniels

I'd imagine the Wii started the same way.

But the Wii was awesome and looked awesome right from the get go. The Wii U looked good enough to buy so I bought one on launch day as well. Learned a hard lesson on that one. Nintendo is gonna have to earn my business back after that shit show and the Switch really isn't looking like the one to do it. Plus those who I know that have had hands on time with the Nintendo Switch already are saying it's not that great.

I'm sorry, that's just not accurate. The launch lineup for the Wii contained games from all of the major software developers of the era, including Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Midway, Bandai Namco, Tecmo and Sega, including some of their AAA properties and all of them had other titles in development at the time of Wii launch. While Midway no longer exists, the others certainly do and continue to be leading developers and other than EA saying they will release a PS3/Xbox 360 port of Fifa and Sega announcing a release of Puyo and Sonic Mania alongside the other platform releases and Bandai Namco porting some older games previously released on other platforms, there has been little or no support from the other majors. I personally am interested in the Switch because I enjoy Nintendo first party games, but I have no illusions that this thing is going to be a runaway success or that there will be much in the way of platform unique third party games. Frankly, developers and publishers have very little incentive given that it will take years to build a hardware base anywhere close to the PS4 and Xbox One. The fact that the Switch hardware may be easy to program for doesn't do much to make up for the fact that it's at least half a generation behind the performance of the current leading consoles and many assets in existing games will need to be downgraded to function. I mean I have an NVIDIA Shield and the games on that platform haven't exactly been amazing, nor has there been much third party support beyond what NVIDIA was willing to subsidize

Edited by bojay1997
  • Like 2

But the Wii was awesome and looked awesome right from the get go. The Wii U looked good enough to buy so I bought one on launch day as well. Learned a hard lesson on that one. Nintendo is gonna have to earn my business back after that shit show and the Switch really isn't looking like the one to do it. Plus those who I know that have had hands on time with the Nintendo Switch already are saying it's not that great.

it can't be any worse than what Nintendo have released since the Snes, and that's the problem, everyone thinks Nintendo can release another Nes/Snes, just buy the Switch for whatever gaming reason

Edited by D.Daniels

I'm sorry, that's just not accurate. The launch lineup for the Wii contained games from all of the major software developers of the era, including Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Midway, Bandai Namco, Tecmo and Sega, including some of their AAA properties and all of them had other titles in development at the time of Wii launch. While Midway no longer exists, the others certainly do and continue to be leading developers and other than EA saying they will release a PS3/Xbox 360 port of Fifa and Sega announcing a release of Puyo and Sonic Mania alongside the other platform releases and Bandai Namco porting some older games previously released on other platforms, there has been little or no support from the other majors. I personally am interested in the Switch because I enjoy Nintendo first party games, but I have no illusions that this thing is going to be a runaway success or that there will be much in the way of platform unique third party games. Frankly, developers and publishers have very little incentive given that it will take years to build a hardware base anywhere close to the PS4 and Xbox One. The fact that the Switch hardware may be easy to program for doesn't do much to make up for the fact that it's at least half a generation behind the performance of the current leading consoles and many assets in existing games will need to be downgraded to function. I mean I have an NVIDIA Shield and the games on that platform haven't exactly been amazing, nor has there been much third party support beyond what NVIDIA was willing to subsidize

I think the PS3/X360 FIFA is a rumour if not that's a really big blow here in Europe, the new frostbite engine is impressive even know the game has got worse each year from 12, If Konami releases PES it would soften the blow

Edited by D.Daniels

Since I lost you the highlighted part is like what I was trying to explain. The Switch(just the handheld part without Joy-Cons attached) would be the top of the clamshell, the controls would be in the bottom of the clamshell, and the bottom of the clamshell would attach to the Switch using the same sliding and locking mechanism of the Joy-Cons. So, in the box you would get an ultra-portable Switch in a clamshell form factor but it could be taken apart to use other Switch accessories because the bottom of the clamshell can slide off to reveal just the Switch.

You are making it overtly complicated. The cost reduced "Switch Mini/Micro" would be 3DS xL sized, come without a dock, have the standard USB-C charger, and have the controls permanently attached. External Joycons or additional peripherals could be supported by internal BT connection in tabletop mode. A 3DS like form factor could copy the GBA-SP layout with the screen occupying the full width of the handheld, and the dual sliders and dual triggers on the bottom like with 3DS. Speaker and NFC Amiibo reader could be placed in the middle of the bottom half similar to a GBA-SP, with the gesture cam on the right hand side. Mini docks for connecting to HDTV may be available separately, but games would be locked in 720p mode due to the reduced horsepower. Nintendo could even create a syncing system where save data is synced between the fullsize model and the handheld version so the gamer is never without their device.

The Switch Mini would likely replace the 3DS lineup sometime in late 2018 or thereabouts as the 3DS enters it's twilight years, thus allowing a smaller pocket sized form factor for gaming on the go.

• Like 1

The moment the Wii was announced online and the waggle controllers shown off, it was heavily panned and criticized on the internet. There were even "Humping Wii" animations, like this one I rendered in 3D circa December 2006:

humping_wii_animation_by_stardust4ever.g

So the internet made fun of the console, jokes abounded, then it sold like hotcakes and was unobtainable until early 2008 when you could just walk into the store and buy one anywhere without getting lucky. Wii-U launched to relatively little fanfare and performed poorly.

So while I don't believe Switch to be the perfect storm or sell in the numbers of units that Wii did, I see it getting at least 45 million sales before it's EOL, and strong 3rd party support. We may or may not get a GTA port or the usual gory FPS games, but lots of other goodies to enjoy from third parties.

• Like 2

The moment the Wii was announced online and the waggle controllers shown off, it was heavily panned and criticized on the internet. There were even "Humping Wii" animations, like this one I rendered in 3D circa December 2006:

So the internet made fun of the console, jokes abounded, then it sold like hotcakes and was unobtainable until early 2008 when you could just walk into the store and buy one anywhere without getting lucky. Wii-U launched to relatively little fanfare and performed poorly.

So while I don't believe Switch to be the perfect storm or sell in the numbers of units that Wii did, I see it getting at least 45 million sales before it's EOL, and strong 3rd party support. We may or may not get a GTA port or the usual gory FPS games, but lots of other goodies to enjoy from third parties.

I agree, there be enough good non GTA software, look at all the Mario maker videos on YT

Edited by D.Daniels

The Switch Mini would likely replace the 3DS lineup sometime in late 2018 or thereabouts as the 3DS enters it's twilight years, thus allowing a smaller pocket sized form factor for gaming on the go.

I'd love something like that -- thought it sounds like the Switch is smaller than most people think. In the Super Bowl ad, it doesn't look a whole lot bigger than the 3DSXL.

• Like 1

45 million units based on what? The traditional Nintendo audience of kids and families has moved to tablets and smartphones. Switch will sell, but it will sell to 20 and 30 somethings and families with adults that still have nostalgia for Nintendo who have exposed their kids to Mario. Even if third parties decided to get on board Switch following a good launch, their games would be 2-3 years out. I mean, I hope Nintendo is successful because I selfishly want more first party Nintendo games, but third parties have already abandoned the 3DS and that's a system that sold and continues to sell extremely well. I can't see third parties jumping on Switch when the PC/PS4/Xbox One market is so massive and are similar enough in design to allow relatively quick porting.

I'd love something like that -- thought it sounds like the Switch is smaller than most people think. In the Super Bowl ad, it doesn't look a whole lot bigger than the 3DSXL.

You have already seen the Super Bowl Ad?

Based on official specs, the Switch tablet with attached joycons is roughly Lynx sized. I even suspect the old Lynx I carry bag would make a nice Switch case even if it's the geekiest thing an adult could possibly be caught with.

45 million units based on what? The traditional Nintendo audience of kids and families has moved to tablets and smartphones. Switch will sell, but it will sell to 20 and 30 somethings and families with adults that still have nostalgia for Nintendo who have exposed their kids to Mario. Even if third parties decided to get on board Switch following a good launch, their games would be 2-3 years out. I mean, I hope Nintendo is successful because I selfishly want more first party Nintendo games, but third parties have already abandoned the 3DS and that's a system that sold and continues to sell extremely well. I can't see third parties jumping on Switch when the PC/PS4/Xbox One market is so massive and are similar enough in design to allow relatively quick porting.

It's a prediction based on a lot of factors. The Smartphone revolution did not completely undermine the success of the Nintendo 3DS. I think the need for a dedicated gaming device in a tablet form factor is a lot bigger than you guys think. Touch screens are terrible for traditional platformers and the like. It's got a form factor similar to an iPad or Android slabby, except it's got traditional controls locked onto the sides. I personally think it's a brilliant concept (which should have been the Wii-U at launch but technology wasn't up to par in 2012) and should sell well, even if Nintendo still plays third fiddle to Sony/MS, 45 million is nothing to sneeze at. It would be a third place slightly trailing behind rather than dead last. And I think a fair number of current PS4/XB1 owners might even get one.

So it won't be a Wii gangbusters type scenario (which ironically had the lowest software attach rate of any console), nor will it be a commercial "flop" like the Wii-U. And when you factor in Wii-U sales, that doesn't paint the entire picture, since the Wii-U had some of the highest software attach rates of any system. 13 million Wii-Us sold to date and 8 million copies of Mario Kart 8 and counting. When has a single software title sold to more than 50% of a console's userbase? That statistic is huge...

• Like 1