IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

Raw power is overrated anyway, it's all about the game design. The open world Zelda looks super stylish but I doubt it's a specs hog.

Partially true. While raw power by itself hardly makes a system greater than others it is a powerful tool to use in game design and how big and impressive a world can be, amount and quality of effects and sheer numbers of players, objects and enemies around. Among other things.

The versions of GTA V on PS3/360 and the upgraded version för PS4/Xbone perfectly illustrates this.

I hope Bethesda and Nintendo have something special going for Skyrim on Switch, because it will be absolutely pointless to get it if it is the old version, and it will shame itself if it is a nerfed version of the new improved versions heading for PS4,Xbone and PC.

Power opens many doors for game designers. Too little power makes them shut the door to you if it basically means they have to work their butts off to produce a port for a weaker system. System power drives game design, and game design challenges the system power.

Zelda looks amazing though.

• Like 1

Laptops yes, pretty much any modern laptop can run Skyrim. The Switch looks less cumbersome though and gives you the handheld option. The Shield can only stream it from your PC if I remember right and you gotta mess with settings. The Razer Edge Pro that's basically a tablet with two grip controllers at the sides would be great if they weren't so expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if some Nintendo Easter eggs were in their version of Skyrim, kind of like The Twin Snakes on GameCube. I'm mostly interested in the actual launch titles, and not "window".

Edited by xenomorpher

Meh

If the cartridge port is backwards compatible with 3DS games I might be interested.

Switch is a dumb name, NX sounded more tech.

Trailer was chock full of urban hipster types (but what marketing isn't these days?)

All in all I think this will be the first Nintendo Launch day I skip since the N64 (should have skipped the Wii U TBH, havne't played half the games I have for it.)

Could be cool, but time will tell.

Nintendo has already confirmed that 3DS cartridges aren't compatible. There aren't two screens anyways, so I really doubt that we'll even see 3DS games hit the Virtual Console someday.

Heck, it remains to be confirmed it the screen is even a touch screen, let alone have 3D capabilities (which while not a prerequisite, still would be something people would expect if this was backwards compatible).

Would you really enjoy 3DS games displayed like this on the Nintendo Switch, anyways?

DS-Wii-U.jpg

Edited by Atariboy

Since I was locked out of AtariAge for a while, I'll throw in my two cents now. Obviously it's exactly what most of us thought it would be, and there's no way it's not meant as a replacement for both the Wii U and 3DS, although Nintendo will never come right out and say that.

Although the video tried way too hard to be hip, and was in fact quite painful in that regard, it nevertheless did a great job of showing off the system, which is what really matters. I've said it on my own site, Armchair Arcade, and I'll say it again here: I think it’s safe to say that we’ll have a legitimate – and healthy – three way console race again. I think Nintendo will once again become exciting to gamers beyond their core fan base. It's definitely a nice differentiator from the competition (although man, those removable portable controllers do look a bit tiny).

NX was a cool name, but Switch is definitely more appropriate, if a bit clumsy.

In terms of pricing, my guesses are a basic model with just the main unit for $250, and a Deluxe with dock and one controller for $300. I've seen lower and higher figures. I'd believe $50 higher on both before $50 lower on both, though.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1

I'm kind of iffy on the name, but I'm sure they know what they're doing.

This certainly isn't going to be a replacement for the 3DS, but they're smart for making it portable. It's basically what the WiiU should've been. Nintendo may have been losing the console wars, but they've always been king of handhelds, so this is a smart move.

I'll be sad to see the loss of dual/touch-screens, pointers, motion controls, etc., but maybe this simplification is what Nintendo needs? And obviously, it makes it a lot easier to bring to a friends' house...Wii and WiiU is always a hassle, especially the sensor bar. GameCube had it right.

I'm a big fan of Nintendo games, so I'm sure I'll pick one up eventually. In the mean time, I'm still waiting for the new WiiU Zelda B)

Just glad that Nintendo has learn the major WiiU mistake that no one want a big @#$8'@# controller that blocks their view on their Widescreen TV

It must really make your arms sore to hold the controller up so high like that.

I wonder if it will use memory cards like the Vita.

Well the Wii, DSi, WiiU, and 3DS all use SD cards, so it's a safe bet that the Switch will too.

If I remember my history well both the Saturn 3D controller and the DC were really hard on the hands due to their unwieldy shape .... this thing beats them all.

Blasphemy! The DC controller is one of the best ever made! (although that d-pad really wants you to buy an arcade stick for all those fighting games)

Nevermind the power, the system needs a legit, functional, adult oriented online system too.

I think the Miiverse is one of the coolest things ever...however, if the Switch doesn't have a touch screen, 90% of the fun would be gone =(

So far the Switch is the only portable console Nintendo has ever produced that is too large to fit in a pocket...

I would argue that the 2DS doesn't fit in a pocket very well.

Also, did you know that generally, pants for females don't even HAVE front pockets??? It makes absolutely no sense, but it's true. Those girl jeans may look like they have pockets, but they're cut off and stitched about halfway down.

That said, with the charging dock that comes with the 32 gig version and with it resting in the dock when it's not in use, it shouldn't be an issue very often unless you routinely play games for hours at a time.

That is one thing I really dislike about the WiiU...I work all week, and maybe on a weekend I'll have some time for games, and my controller is dead. If you don't keep it docked, it will drain all by itself. I might have to try to see if I can disable some more suspend functions and see if that helps.

But I really like using it as a remote control, it works so much better than the one that came with our TV.

• Like 2

Nintendo has already confirmed that 3DS cartridges aren't compatible. There aren't two screens anyways, so I really doubt that we'll even see 3DS games hit the Virtual Console someday.

Heck, it remains to be confirmed it the screen is even a touch screen, let alone have 3D capabilities (which while not a prerequisite, still would be something people would expect if this was backwards compatible).

Would you really enjoy 3DS games displayed like this on the Nintendo Switch, anyways?

DS-Wii-U.jpg

Why couldn't it work just like the DS screen configuration to the left? 3DS top screen on TV, Bottom on switch gamepad.

Anyways, it doesn't matter to Nintendo, they have new fish to fry and money to make. I think most in the industry don't care about backwards compatibility at this point, unless it's to make money by making older games available as downloads. Buy the same game again! Nintendo has certainly been king of that for a long time; but now also rampant on PS4 and XBONE as well.

Edited by travistouchdown

I was very lukewarm about the trailer. It is exactly what I thought it would be, but I really can't envision myself using the device in the ways they depicted. The bridge that my hipster pick-up basketball league plays under just doesn't have great WiFi...

Anyway, I think the Switch could be in danger of becoming a jack of all trades, master of none kind of deal. If it is running a Tegra K1 or something similar, then it won't have the graphical horsepower to be a place for AAA games, which means its "impressive" third party support will probably fade away, as it did on the Wii U. If it doesn't differentiate between hand-held, 3DS style releases and console exclusives, then the content could suffer. Will the games be hand-held games on a TV or console games ported to a hand-held? It will be interesting to see how Nintendo deals with that. I am also not convinced that an adult audience will really make use of the local network, mini-controller multi-player concept. It could be cool for kids, but I think a lot of us older folks just want to sit down on the couch, relax, and play a game.

I totally agree with their attempt to blend console and mobile gaming, but I am not sure this is the most well-executed idea. That having been said, I'll buy it because, after all these years, I still love Nintendo-developed games.

• Like 1

Not only has their console business been in decline other than the Wii anomaly, but then the smartphone showed up near the end of the DS and murdered their cash cow that was carrying the console side for many years. Gone almost overnight were millions of customers and most of the 3rd parties, with the casual fair lost forever to the general purpose smartphone.

I've thought that to compete, Nintendo should both offer Skype for the handhelds, and also creating a Nintendo cellphone. The handheld DS devices pretty much have most of the tech needed. Heck, maybe partner with a dedicated cell phone manufacturer for a device that is a full cell, that accepts DS /3DS game cards.

It makes lots of sense for Nintendo to try to do something different. In a marketplace where the main TV consoles are pretty much locked-down, proprietary PCs that can only play games, it's impossible to compete against them in terms of "power."

They kinda-sorta pretty much have to do something different.

We already have a good infrastructure for electronic entertainment. PS, XBOX, WII, PC, IOS/ANDROID.. Do we still need another option?

As mentioned, going to be tricky trademarking a name like 'Switch'. Unless Nintendo always accompanies it. i.e.: The 'Nintendo Switch'.

Surprised they haven't named one of their systems Gimmick already. Easier to trademark and everybody would know it's a Nintendo machine right off. Can hear it now... "Johnny, you play the Nintendo Gimmick yet"? "Depends... which one"? :rolling:

Why couldn't they just build a docking station for the 3DS and call it a day? The more I think about this system, the more I'm going to skip it and wait for it to show up in thrift stores like the Wii/Wii U are now.

What does that solve for Nintendo? The 3DS platform is dated and aging (and in continuous sales decline), even with the incremental improvements along the way, plus that's a lot of legacy baggage to bring over. Nintendo feels - and I'd argue rightly so - that they need a console play. You can't do a console play with upscaled, dated technology.

The Switch solves several problems for Nintendo. The first is a replacement for the dead Wii U. The second is a replacement for the dying off (of natural causes) 3DS. The third is being able to focus their resources on supporting a single platform, rather than multiple platforms, something that should greatly increase their rate of first party software releases, while at the same time being more enticing to third parties (who will be able to more easily support a single Nintendo platform that works off similar dev standards as everyone else).

Nintendo was always dominant in gaming handhelds, but the gaming handheld marketing is declining to that of a niche. We need no more evidence than to look at the 3DS line, which, while still a success, was nevertheless the worst selling of Nintendo's portable lines. That's not going to improve, which is why we're not going to see another dedicated handheld from Nintendo. Frankly, I'd argue what we're getting is far better and far more conducive to iteration.

• Like 2

I've thought that to compete, Nintendo should both offer Skype for the handhelds, and also creating a Nintendo cellphone. The handheld DS devices pretty much have most of the tech needed. Heck, maybe partner with a dedicated cell phone manufacturer for a device that is a full cell, that accepts DS /3DS game cards.

Because the world is clamoring for a third mobile operating system after Android and iOS? That worked out well for BlackBerry and Microsoft.

Why is Skype important on their handheld? Would it somehow be better on there than on existing smartphones, tablets, or computers that people already have?

• Like 2

I'm going to apport my opinion here: I'm going to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt,i'm cautiously optimistic about it, they didn't shoehorned the detachable controllers as a necessity since you CAN replace those with a pro-controller,honesty it's a simple but easy to grasp gimmick. Hope Nintendo keeps their promise of constant 1st and 3rd party support especially since epic games confirmed yesterday Unreal Engine 4 support for the system. Regarding the marketing for the system,i'm glad it's not called Wii because that would mean a early grave and they explained without text what the system will bring to the table.

Edited by KidGameR186496

Because the world is clamoring for a third mobile operating system after Android and iOS? That worked out well for BlackBerry and Microsoft.

Why is Skype important on their handheld? Would it somehow be better on there than on existing smartphones, tablets, or computers that people already have?

I never said anything about a new operating system. Yes, if Nintendo were to produce it, it would be, but if they partnered with a cell phone maker, I don't see why they couldn't create an emulation layer or something to play the DS / 3DS games.

As for Skype, the tech is already there in the devices. They might as well take advantage of it.

Power is an important part of gaming. It is an enabler of versatility. It is what allows the PC "Master Race" to reign supreme.

When I'm done gaming and emulating sometimes I like to play complex simulations or make excursions into the world of fractal rendering or orbital mechanics. Leisure time even includes experimenting with Photoshop and doing useful projects with it!

But, hey, whatever fits the need!

I don't think any two people will agree on what the perfect way to implement this would be, there are a lot of cooks in the kitchen judging by this thread alone. However, I think that this is definitely a good way for Nintendo to build a box that plays to their strengths, corrects mistakes they've made along the way, and dumps as much baggage as possible right out of the gate. If it takes off, I could even see developers focusing their efforts on the Switch version of a game, and then "Porting up" to grab that XB1 and PS4 money, kind of like what happened with Atari and Coleco back in the day. But I admit, that's speculation.

If I had to make anything a sticking point right now, I'd tell Nintendo to make sure the Pro controller is a pack-in on at least one bundle. Failing that, make it REALLY REALLY cheap and well-marketed. Don't make people beg for a real controller.

• Like 3

I never said anything about a new operating system. Yes, if Nintendo were to produce it, it would be, but if they partnered with a cell phone maker, I don't see why they couldn't create an emulation layer or something to play the DS / 3DS games.

As for Skype, the tech is already there in the devices. They might as well take advantage of it.

I just don't see enough of a market for a phone with dedicated gaming controls. Nintendo would be better off doing what they're doing in mobile now, and, if they saw a significant enough market to play old DS and 3DS games (although the dual screen nature of both presents significant problems on small single screens), then release a digital GB/GBC/GBA/DS/3DS store as an app for iOS and Android. That would make some sense, but again, if they're having blockbuster success with their current mobile strategy, I don't see them releasing something that would not have the same massive appeal.

As for Skype, I suppose the Switch could have it as an app, but it doesn't seem like it would be workable given how the handheld docks. Best to leave that to the devices that people already universally use.

I don't think any two people will agree on what the perfect way to implement this would be, there are a lot of cooks in the kitchen judging by this thread alone. However, I think that this is definitely a good way for Nintendo to build a box that plays to their strengths, corrects mistakes they've made along the way, and dumps as much baggage as possible right out of the gate. If it takes off, I could even see developers focusing their efforts on the Switch version of a game, and then "Porting up" to grab that XB1 and PS4 money, kind of like what happened with Atari and Coleco back in the day. But I admit, that's speculation.

If I had to make anything a sticking point right now, I'd tell Nintendo to make sure the Pro controller is a pack-in on at least one bundle. Failing that, make it REALLY REALLY cheap and well-marketed. Don't make people beg for a real controller.

I don't see the balance of power shifting from the present model, even with a big success on the Switch side, especially with the massive headstart the competition has in install base. From my perspective, I see it more like Switch being technologically equivalent to the core models of PS4 and Xbox One, so it will be treated in that same manner. Any enhancements will go towards the upgraded versions of PS4 and Xbox One, and of course PC.

I think what's in the favor of Switch at this point is exactly what I described above, i.e., no special considerations need to be made. The "gimmick" is inherent in the hardware's versatility, not that it needs anything special accommodated for it (like the Wii U's second screen).

In terms of a pro controller pack-in, I stand by my earlier statement. I bet there's going to be a core model sold that's just the handheld portion, and a deluxe bundle that includes the dock and one controller. That seems a logical way of doing it, particularly since, from the promo video, they seem to be encouraging the idea of people having their own handhelds (in other words, it needs to be sold by itself, regardless).

• Like 1

Apparently the Skyrim clip and NBA clip are not actual games running on the Switch. I wonder if the Zelda clip is actually running on the Wii U?

Sounds too underpowered to me using a mobile processor.

Waiting to be proven wrong but nothing surprises me with Nintendo anymore

I disagree. This is clearly an evolution of Nvidia's existing Shield line of consoles, portables, and tablets, so it's perfectly reasonable to assume it will have sufficient power to pull off near PS4 and Xbox One (original versions) levels of performance. From the partner list, most of the necessary game engine providers are on board, and most stuff is made using those tools, so there's no reason to think that it can't run the same stuff as PC, PS4, and Xbox One, even with slight and probably barely noticeable (outside of side-by-side comparisons) reductions in performance. That's all that's needed for a hybrid system. It doesn't have to be the best performance-wise, it only has to provide suitable performance and accessibility to the same games. It's versatility can take care of the rest.

• Like 5

This thread is ON FIRE! Nintendo Switch is the new Coleco Chameleon!!

I really can't envision myself using the device in the ways they depicted. The bridge that my hipster pick-up basketball league plays under just doesn't have great WiFi...

I'm sure they're using local multiplayer, just like the 3DS can do. I won't use it that way because I am an antisocial solo gamer.

I think the low-end cheapskate market is pretty well covered by Android phones. They can't compete in that red ocean, they want to be out in Nintendoland on their own.

We already have a good infrastructure for electronic entertainment. PS, XBOX, WII, PC, IOS/ANDROID.. Do we still need another option?

If anything is going to fill the 3DS/Vita space, it's going to be this. I love my 3DS, but I have trouble getting into it because my iOS stuff is much more compelling ... casual, semi-social, a step away from all my videos and books ... a dedicated games machine has a hard time competing. John Gruber said it well: the smartphone is the camera everyone is carrying around. This would be the DSLR of portable gaming. Personally, I don't want to bother with a DSLR, my iPhone fills my need for a camera and it fits in my pocket.

I bought a 3G Vita because it came with some extras, including a bunch of free AT&T data. I could join it to my smartphone plan, but they never did anything with the mobile capabilities (least of all gaming), so I never use it, even though it can do Google Maps, Skype, email, and web browsing ... all badly compared to what my phone can do. A Nintendo phone isn't going to happen, at least not unless Nintendo is purchased by one of the big dogs of tech.

I am confident that the Pro Controller will cost sixty American dollars. Is that REALLY REALLY cheap?