IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

No I'm pointing out you're following me from one site to another to pick on my posts and it's really childish. Should anyone be surprised Nintendo would do that, they didn't launch their last console they made and its predecessor with such features either adding them after the fact. They love to cry how they're a gaming company and be all minimalist, then stuff seems to trickle out later.

adamchevy: How would you figure Nintendo could control that? I think the real idea is that you'd need to find ways for major second hand sales sites to ban the behavior entirely. They won't do it as it's easy money for them and they don't care if someone gets screwed. If ebay and amazon 1 minute into this Monday going forward limited 1 a customer per address, account, and payment method, plus banned all private sellers without a business license from second hand selling new product and only allowed major distributors it would cause a serious crimp in the will of resellers to play those games. Sure they'd run to craigslist and other smaller avenues, and maybe it would dissuade some of the abusers but it wouldn't make it go away unfortunately. Until people stop feeding the scumbags on a level where the risk isn't worth the reward things sadly won't change.

• Like 1

No I'm pointing out you're following me from one site to another to pick on my posts and it's really childish. Should anyone be surprised Nintendo would do that, they didn't launch their last console they made and its predecessor with such features either adding them after the fact. They love to cry how they're a gaming company and be all minimalist, then stuff seems to trickle out later.

adamchevy: How would you figure Nintendo could control that? I think the real idea is that you'd need to find ways for major second hand sales sites to ban the behavior entirely. They won't do it as it's easy money for them and they don't care if someone gets screwed. If ebay and amazon 1 minute into this Monday going forward limited 1 a customer per address, account, and payment method, plus banned all private sellers without a business license from second hand selling new product and only allowed major distributors it would cause a serious crimp in the will of resellers to play those games. Sure they'd run to craigslist and other smaller avenues, and maybe it would dissuade some of the abusers but it wouldn't make it go away unfortunately. Until people stop feeding the scumbags on a level where the risk isn't worth the reward things sadly won't change.

Which site? Guess I'm missing something. Edited by adamchevy

Which site? Guess I'm missing something.

He posted some false information on Digital Press a couple of months ago along the lines of the Switch having specs equal to the current PS4 and Xbox One that he claimed a family member working as a developer had provided him. When several of us questioned the information, he started engaging in personal attacks and some really offensive language before deleting all of his posts and denying he had ever made the claims or alternatively that Nintendo had somehow modified their specs at the last minute. He basically got laughed out of Digital Press and so apparently has continued his intolerant views here. He thinks that anyone who questions anything he says or who holds a different opinion is a "troll".

Edited by bojay1997
  • Like 3

He posted some false information on Digital Press a couple of months ago along the lines of the Switch having specs equal to the current PS4 and Xbox One that he claimed a family member working as a developer had provided him.

I just got done writing a profiling testbed for the Switch, I can guarantee you it isn't even close. :lol:

I did not lie. Bojay is a straight up fucking stalker. I got tired of his harassing me over at the other site so I stopped engaging him so he brought it here.

I'd like this harassment to be shut down a it's getting really old that I can't even go to another forum without being followed.

He'll love this, but the short of it is my brother works for 505 Games as a producer which is a licensee and has kits for the system. Last October (not 2 months ago as he said) he told me what he had at the time found out about the Switch and he was (not having kit access then not being on that team) was led to believe it had power upwards of the potential of the One/PS4. When Nintendo finally had some of that info out and it didn't line up, he got into personally attacking me calling me a liar and all sorts of shit and demanding that I apologize which I refused to do because I did not lie. I was misinformed based on info at the time which didn't pan out. I did not ever lie or intend to mislead at the time and he's too dense to get that, so he keeps berating me about it like a child instead of dropping it. I engaged in personal attacks because I was called a liar, insulted my intelligence, and harassed about it repeatedly as he would not fucking drop it, that's a fact. You're damn right I got nasty about it as it wouldn't quit.

The posts that I erased I did it out of sheer spite as bojay was pissing me off and I admitted as much while laughing about the fact almost all of it was retained in quote boxes anyway. Go to hell bojay. I'm sick of your stalker garbage.

I do not have intolerant views other than not being tolerant of those who can't think for themselves. I also was not laughed out of DP either. I just don't post much but I still read there. The fact the site is mostly a graveyard with few posts a day so I don't post much as like when it was more active a couple years ago.

Edit: This is a format request to CPUWIZ, Albert, whoever. Stop this before it gets started. Hateful baggage from one site shouldn't spill over into a public fight on another. I don't with to engage in a fight but I also will not get walked all over either.

Edited by Tanooki

I just got done writing a profiling testbed for the Switch, I can guarantee you it isn't even close. :lol:

What's crazy is that when he made the posts in late October of last year, most of the information from sources like Digital Foundry and others had started to leak and it was pretty clear that there was no way that the Switch was going to be equivalent in performance to the current generation.

Edited by bojay1997

One thing that's really ticking me off is all of the punks scalping these on eBay . Nintendo needs to lock their preorders down to 1 per customer, and eBay needs to disallow this kind of activity . If this kind of thing wasn't so prevalent then I would probably be able to get a preorder. My love for capitalism restrains my anger a little bit, but It's really starting to get old with Nintendo and their supply problems.

According to Ebay TOS, you can sell your preorders up to one month before product launch. So nothing we can do at this point to get these shut down.

• Like 1

If I remember right I started posting in early october and I think that was before DF came out with it's big early article where they kept using the word 'assume' around almost every point they made. I'd really rather not have this crater into some argument so can we just put a stop on this before it gets started? As it stands now it is clearly some form of souped up custom current Tegra Nvidia Shield console (not tablet version chipset) level of hardware and until DF or someone gets one, tears it down, checks all the stuff, or some developer can rat out the differences once the NDAs drop no one is really going to know much of anything for certain.

According to Ebay TOS, you can sell your preorders up to one month before product launch. So nothing we can do at this point to get these shut down.

Oh well, I'll just have to hope wherever I choose to camp at has some available on launch day. I really wasn't to excited about the Switch until last week. It feels like the old days of Nintendo Fan boyism and nostalgia are meshing into some interesting excitement. It really is a good time to be a gamer. Of course in hind sight the 90s were spectacular.

Any previews of the Lego City Undercover port yet?

Been waiting to hear some details before deciding to grab the Nintendo Selects rerelease on the Wii U or not. Hoping to see some significant upgrades, especially with the horrible load times that plagued the Wii U original.

But if it's largely unchanged, $20 is hard to beat on the Wii U.

So when does the Wii forum get removed and replaced with a Switch forum?

We never had a Wii U subforum, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Edited by Atariboy

Any previews of the Lego City Undercover port yet?

Been waiting to hear some details before deciding to grab the Nintendo Selects rerelease on the Wii U or not. Hoping to see some significant upgrades, especially with the horrible load times that plagued the Wii U original.

But if it's largely unchanged, $20 is hard to beat on the Wii U.

We never had a Wii U subforum, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

The load times were bad but Imagine loading from UHS-1 flash is a lot faster. Doesn't the Switch also have a lot more RAM?

BTW, the hub world was freaking huge with no loading screens until actually entered a sub area.

The load times were bad but Imagine loading from UHS-1 flash is a lot faster. Doesn't the Switch also have a lot more RAM?

BTW, the hub world was freaking huge with no loading screens until actually entered a sub area.

I'd also assume it's significantly improved, but assumptions don't always end up proven correct.

Another consideration that might lead me to just wait even if it's largely a 1:1 conversion without enhancements is disc drive longevity. Won't be an issue with the Switch version where as the Wii U counterpart seems to give the disc drive a work out. Might be best to keep it reserved for exclusives and smaller titles like Shovel Knight to hopefully preserve it for the long-term.

Edited by Atariboy

I'd also assume it's significantly improved, but assumptions don't always end up proven correct.

Another consideration that might lead me to just wait even if it's largely a 1:1 conversion without enhancements is disc drive longevity. Won't be an issue with the Switch version where as the Wii U counterpart seems to give the disc drive a work out. Might be best to keep it reserved for exclusives and smaller titles like Shovel Knight to hopefully preserve it for the long-term.

Good point about the disc drives. I always boot some random eShop or VC title first before I use the web browser to prevent drive wear, otherwise the drive (when disc inserted) will spin for hours without doing anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5tsruy/leaked_indevelopment_ui_mockups/

"I will now edit this post with important bits of info gathered from the dev docs

• HD Rumble's technical name is a Linear resonant actuator
  • When in handheld mode, the Switch will have an unlock screen like a smartphone to prevent accidental waking.
  • The Switch features a Quick Menu. Press and hold the HOME Button for at least one second to display the Quick Settings screen on top of all other screens, including the HOME Menu and any applications. Unlike the 3DS, the active software will not be suspended when this menu is invoked
  • The Switch's keyboard will feature predictive text such as those on iOS and Android
  • System Settings will allow the user to edit the following settings:
    • Flight Mode Toggle
    • Enable/Disable Bluetooth
    • Manage Wi-fi
    • Manage NFC
    • Manage screen brightness
    • Screen lock
    • User Settings
    • Create/Edit Mii
    • Theme management
    • Controller management
    • System Update
  • Miis will have more options for hair, eyebrows, eyes, facial hair, glasses, mouths, and skin.
  • Miis will not store the creator's name, their favorites, and their birthday anymore. Anyone can edit Mii characters
  • Developers can create and sell Season Passes for their games
  • This document confirms an X1 like SoC using Maxwell on the final retail version
  • There are NO plans to provide an Internet Browser at this stage but developers are able to access a web applet to display specific websites within their game/app
  • A maximum of 8 users can be registered on a system
  • Friend requests and game invites CAN be sent from the console.
    • "Friend Presence is a feature that uses the Internet to convey information in real time about the online status of friends and the applications they are playing. Among possibilities, we see this being used in the application to check whether friends are in the joinable state, and to use the Friend List system feature screen to show what applications friends are playing."
  • A Nintendo Account can be linked to multiple Switches BUT save data is not automatically synchronised
  • There are TWO dev kit devices: SDEV and EDEV
    • SDEV - Has built-in ports; no built-in battery
    • EDEV - Resembles the retail product exactly but is black color
  • Game cards come in 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, or 32 GB variations.

These have been the most interesting details that I noticed. If you want any specific details, please ask me or anyone else with access to these docs. I'd also like to remind you guys to be civil and mindful of reddiquette. Do not downvote comments because you disagree with them

One final edit before I go to sleep: Nintendo is expanding its online network and offers a library called Network Extension (NEX).

Matchmaking:

• This feature matches players for multiplayer games. It can be used to bring players together based on matching criteria from among unspecified numbers of users, or to create groups among friends only. Groups can be created temporarily for a multiplayer game, or they can be created as lasting entities usable as communities.

Ranking:

• This feature uploads scores so users can get the relative rankings. Rankings can be calculated for only a certain period of time, or for only the scores of players registered in a certain group, and the score information can be periodically reset.

Data Store:

• This is a network storage feature. Any data can be optionally saved to the game server. This saved data can be tagged, searched, and appended with ratings and the like.

Subscriber:

• This is a messaging feature based on the publish-subscribe pattern. It can be used to post messages on certain topics, poll for posts on certain topic, and otherwise share information within the application.

This is likely the primary reason we're being asked to pay for online services now"

• Like 4

If true, FINALLY: "A Nintendo Account can be linked to multiple Switches BUT save data is not automatically synchronised", although of course not having save data synced limits some of its usefulness. Still, as long as purchases are tied to the account (I mean, they'd pretty much have to be with that type of setup), that's at least a big step in the right direction.

Also, 32GB game cards don't seem all that big (but perhaps that's just the limit for now), so I wonder if it will work like it does on the PS4 and Xbox One, where x number of GB's need to be installed onto the onboard storage regardless of whether you have it on physical media or not. I would assume so, otherwise that might limit some game ports. Of course, even the bigger games, like Skyrim (which we know the Switch is getting some type of port of), do often fit within that limit (in Skyrim Special Edition's case, it's about 23GB).

• Like 1

I was afraid and figured cards that wouldn't be big enough. While 32 gigs is a lot it's still not enough for a lot of modern games. I pretty much buy Nintendo systems for only Nintendo games so it doesn't effect me too much. On the other hand though people want to play the big AAA games on their systems too. That's not good in the big picture.

I was afraid and figured cards that wouldn't be big enough. While 32 gigs is a lot it's still not enough for a lot of modern games. I pretty much buy Nintendo systems for only Nintendo games so it doesn't effect me too much. On the other hand though people want to play the big AAA games on their systems too. That's not good in the big picture.

Well again, we have to consider that at least some games will require space on the internal storage (which of course can be expanded), so it's not as much of an issue as we might initially think. Blu-Rays only hold about 18 more GB, right? Install sizes on PS4 for the very biggest games are roughly between 32 - 75 GB, so that's probably within striking distance (Xbox One equivalents range 32 - 65). Of course, we don't expect the biggest third party games to receive Switch ports anyway, or, if they do, perhaps with reduced textures and other content. Certainly Nintendo will tune all their first party content to the necessary limitations.

Edited by BillLoguidice

I did the Math and decided to buy one on eBay. Also, given Nintendo's track record with consoles and shortages, I wanted to play my pre-ordered version of Zelda before August.

I don't think I would panic just yet. There are a lot of people that have multiple pre-orders right now, not so they can sell them, but in case a particular retailer cancels. There may be a short period just after launch where stock is scarce, but Nintendo needs to build a user base quick and I can't imagine that they are going to play their usual shortage game on this particular product.

I don't think I would panic just yet. There are a lot of people that have multiple pre-orders right now, not so they can sell them, but in case a particular retailer cancels. There may be a short period just after launch where stock is scarce, but Nintendo needs to build a user base quick and I can't imagine that they are going to play their usual shortage game on this particular product.

I live out in rural Utah. I'm about 1.5 hours from anywhere that sells a switch. For me it makes a lot of sense. If I lived closer to a retail outlet, or if I felt pre-orders were going to come back online at a major retailer anytime soon then I would have waited. Really the peace of mind was worth it to me.

• Like 1

/Blu ray discs are like what 25 or 50GB if they're double sized. Is a soft(?) cap of 32GB on a current listing of Switch cards that big of a deal? The system we know can be upgraded to read larger media. It can do SD and SDHC with a system update SDXC cards and those go up to 2TB in size for the storage choices people can buy. Perhaps the up to 32 is just what exists now so something like Skyrim can fit into being released this year later on. I imagine as part and manufacturing costs drop they could easily pump out a 64GB card or perhaps more. I'd think more than anything it's cost dictating the card size over a hard system limit. People are going to have to use these to brand games on them to sell at retail so the higher than go in size the less room for profit unless they can/are allowed to price over a $60 MSRP limit. And even if they could go higher, would a buyer tolerate it? I doubt it.

• Like 1