IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

It's atypical for mainstream consoles to offer a second controller or pack-in game at launch these days. With that said, the Joycons can be used by two players, albeit not in every circumstance. I'm more "angered" (or should I say displeased) about the pricing on the first party accessories outside of the main purchase. I think the unit itself is already priced as high as the present market will bare.

As for DLC, I see nothing wrong with it. I rarely, if ever, purchase DLC, because the main content is usually more than enough for my busy adult life. As long as a game is not released with content purposely cut to save for later, I'm all for the concept, though. I at least like the idea of more of a good thing.

I don't know, their market looks like it's young single people with really good jobs. I would have paid $400 for sure. Imagine a Zelda pack in, Nintendo missed it on that one. They could have charged $400-$500 without a problem I think. Especially with the inflation we have seen over the past 15 years. With the divorce rate of today, and people waiting to get married until much later. I think they could have capitalized on that for sure. Edited by adamchevy

I don't know, their market looks like it's young single people with really good jobs. I would have paid $400 for sure. Imagine a Zelda pack in, Nintendo missed it on that one. They could have charged $400-$500 without a problem I think. Especially with the inflation we have seen over the past 15 years. With the divorce rate of today, and people waiting to get married until much later. I think they could have capitalized on that for sure.

Assuming your response is serious, there's nothing about the Switch in its present configuration that would justify a $100 - $200 premium over PS4 or Xbox One consoles. Nintendo needs to sell as many of these things as possible in as short of a time as possible, and a higher price would only limit that.

As for your target demographic, if that's their primary audience, then they'd be in trouble. While their advertising does indeed seem to be targeting the young, hip, and affluent single person, there's no proof that that's a viable market, and unlikely that that's their actual goal. I believe that type of advertising is more aspirational than reflective of reality, much like, say, soda commercials.

• Like 1

I think it sets a dangerous precedent to keep an eye on.

There's SO many games out there today on many formats if some company wants to be a greedy prick you can take your money elsewhere and not be the worse for it.

Dramatic much?

That gets into the argument of the damaged development model the industry clings to like fools

Nintendo going down this road is likely going to piss off a lot of their not as rabid fanboy base and those who just bought the thing to have some fun and feel like they're getting taken for a ride depending how they handle DLC on this system.

This is a very one-sided analysis. I feel that if you try to see it from their point of view, it's not all about stingy fanboys who want to wring the most "content" of a game for the least amount of money. The "not as rabid fanboy base" is obviously not the target audience.

Developers can and should charge what the market will bear. A $20 add-on pack doesn't seem like a big deal, if it enhances a popular game. Presumably it's deep and complex, not horse armor.

Sometimes they "hold content back" for DLC, sure ... but it doesn't have to be that way. Nintendo has gone the other way, selling games a la carte. They have the potential to only ask people to pay for the content they'll use. Free to play or episodic gaming isn't a bad thing, if giving away a taste for free can bring more people to the table.

• Like 1

Assuming your response is serious, there's nothing about the Switch in its present configuration that would justify a $100 - $200 premium over PS4 or Xbox One consoles. Nintendo needs to sell as many of these things as possible in as short of a time as possible, and a higher price would only limit that.

As for your target demographic, if that's their primary audience, then they'd be in trouble. While their advertising does indeed seem to be targeting the young, hip, and affluent single person, there's no proof that that's a viable market, and unlikely that that's their actual goal. I believe that type of advertising is more aspirational than reflective of reality, much like, say, soda commercials.

Especially with the recent price drops of the Xbox one and PS4.

I don't know, their market looks like it's young single people with really good jobs.

The Switch launch demographic in its natural habitat does not look much like Karen.

The Switch launch demographic in its natural habitat does not look much like Karen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAe4vkcP1po

I think I lost brain cells watching that. Yep, I was wrong. It's target is little kids with rich parents. And already successful married guys in their mid 30s and up.

• Like 1

The thing about DLC that doesn't make sense to me is if you choose to go physical then they are still tempting you to go partially with download distribution anyway. That is like if you bought an album on CD and then the artists ask you to go download more songs for it. I would be thinking,"You should have waited and included these songs on the album in the first place or if you want to add more songs then just use them for your next album." They don't go about it the other way around by those who choose to do download distribution only by offering them the content of DLC in the form of buying physical copies to expand the games but instead allow them to stay consistently with download distribution only. I think those who choose to go with physical should get the same treatment.

Modern DLC doesn't. Not yet. And it won't till someone starts seeing a need to simulate the servers and their contents.

EDIT:

But that's ok, most of the shit made today isn't worth preserving. It's just pretty flashing lights designed to move money from your pocket to their pocket.

During the post crash era, people probably said the same about preservation of Atari games. That stuff was yesterday's trash for quite a while as people moved on to greener pastures (Nintendo), and Atari never really gained back the respect it deserved for kick-starting an entire industry.

That said, I believe the current industry model of big budget releases costing just as much to produce as hollywood movies is unsustainable. There will be a shakedown, and team size will have to shrink to stay profitable even if it means reduced sales. Look at the Indie revolution taking off.

Why? They make fun and unique gameplay experiences often neglected by the big studios. The Indie games place emphasis on "fun" first, with scale and graphics second. So make a game that's one tenth the size and one tenth the cost to develop and sells for one quarter the cost? You hit half a million sales and are raking in profits which you give back as free DLC packs or updates.

Back to preservationism, the generation of big budget games could be remembered for their overpriced trash, or some of the largest and most expansive games ever built. But most for their trashy, broken gameplay, because without access to those "day one" updates, it might as well be ET the Extraterrestrial... :lolblue:

• Like 3

So do you guys think we're gonna see some Wii U games on VC?

No Wii/Wii-U games as the hardware isn't natively compatible. Game Cube rumored to finally be a thing however.

I'm holding out for an HD remake of Mario Galaxy I/II, similar to those "new play control" remakes of Game Cube games for the Wii, or the remastered Zelda Wii-U ports. Or possibly Sunshine HD! :lust:

During the post crash era, people probably said the same about preservation of Atari games. That stuff was yesterday's trash for quite a while as people moved on to greener pastures (Nintendo), and Atari never really gained back the respect it deserved for kick-starting an entire industry.

That said, I believe the current industry model of big budget releases costing just as much to produce as hollywood movies is unsustainable. There will be a shakedown, and team size will have to shrink to stay profitable even if it means reduced sales. Look at the Indie revolution taking off.

Why? They make fun and unique gameplay experiences often neglected by the big studios. The Indie games place emphasis on "fun" first, with scale and graphics second. So make a game that's one tenth the size and one tenth the cost to develop and sells for one quarter the cost? You hit half a million sales and are raking in profits which you give back as free DLC packs or updates.

Back to preservationism, the generation of big budget games could be remembered for their overpriced trash, or some of the largest and most expansive games ever built. But most for their trashy, broken gameplay, because without access to those "day one" updates, it might as well be ET the Extraterrestrial... :lolblue:

It'll come full-circle sooner or later. I have only 2 expansive sprawling games on my rig right now. And eventually maybe a 3rd in good time. They aren't the mainstream shit they sell at gamestop either.

I don't care how big a game gets it isn't impressive in any way except the speed at which it consumes storage. I also look upon today's games as continuing ongoing experiments, nothing worth chasing after. At least not to me. YMMV. Whether games with billion dollar budgets will continue, I don't know. But the race to be the biggest isn't impressive at all.

And that's right, in time people did treat the first generation of pe-nes consoles as trash, they disposed of them in bulk. The arrow of time will move forward and even today's behemoths will get the preservation treatment. To make it easier I hope they already started - for their sake. I don't really care otherwise.

But one thing to make note of. People had good times with Atari and the pre-nes consoles. Today's games come with a healthy dose of frustration. A conundrum.. Is that something we want to preserve? Or will preservation efforts make them convenient by rolling up all updates?

I don't envy the task of the future curators of these things.

• Like 1

But one thing to make note of. People had good times with Atari and the pre-nes consoles. Today's games come with a healthy dose of frustration. A conundrum.. Is that something we want to preserve? Or will preservation efforts make them convenient by rolling up all updates?

So "blowing the cart" and dealing with flakey NES cart loaders wasn't a frustration? Or janky Atari controllers? Every console had it's achilles heel.

But nothing compares to the modern experience of going to the store, plunking down $60 for a disc, then driving home (or riding a bike if you don't have a car), inserting disc into system, and waiting 13+ hours for a mandatory update, during which your console sits and isn't capable of doing anything else except download crap.

Screw this, I've got school/work in the morning... :mad:

That said, I believe the current industry model of big budget releases costing just as much to produce as hollywood movies is unsustainable.

I agree, a good deal of games provide pretty repetitive and dull gameplay between cut scenes, its almost like FMV games all over again

That being said, given the performance of the last 2 nintendo systems, I honestly do not expect them to capture the causal market, nor the AAA market with this thing ... so whats left, the Nintendo market, which has drastically shrank every generation since the 64. Psyconauts didnt sell the xbox... N needs to keep up

So "blowing the cart" and dealing with flakey NES cart loaders wasn't a frustration? Or janky Atari controllers? Every console had it's achilles heel.

But nothing compares to the modern experience of going to the store, plunking down $60 for a disc, then driving home (or riding a bike if you don't have a car), inserting disc into system, and waiting 13+ hours for a mandatory update, during which your console sits and isn't capable of doing anything else except download crap.

Screw this, I've got school/work in the morning... :mad:

even better, I bought a AD&D pc game a couple years ago(its shit btw, but worth the 8.99 at walmart) the disc only contained steam and a download key, the game is 20 something gig's

Edited by Osgeld

I was thinking of the early days when the VCS and Intellivision consoles were new. They didn't have time to develop problems before we trashed them. They just worked. Now they're all fussy ratbags.

No Wii/Wii-U games as the hardware isn't natively compatible. Game Cube rumored to finally be a thing however.

I'm holding out for an HD remake of Mario Galaxy I/II, similar to those "new play control" remakes of Game Cube games for the Wii, or the remastered Zelda Wii-U ports. Or possibly Sunshine HD! :lust:

It will probably boil down to a controller issue as the set up is very different. A Wii isn't that far removed from the GC hardware wise, but the different control schemes makes porting emulation unlikely.

I do hope they offer a significant savings on VC purchases though. Not a big deal to me as a Switch isn't coming into this house for quite awhile yet. That is due to finances, too much unplayed stuff, and I want to wait and see how things pan out with the Switch. It takes me about a 1-1.5 years of wait and see for any new console actually.

And as much as I stuck my tongue out on the DLC for a Zelda game... heck... I can wait until the Game of the Year edition comes out anyway. I have no need to have it in my hands 3/3.

It will probably boil down to a controller issue as the set up is very different. A Wii isn't that far removed from the GC hardware wise, but the different control schemes makes porting emulation unlikely.

Actually the Wii requires a lot more resources to emulate. It isn't just a faster PowerPC CPU, but the Wii has a lot more powerful GPU and more memory and Bluetooth, etc. Hackers figured out how to load Game Cube ISOs through the SD card, using the native ports on older Wiis, or the Mayflash Game Cube adapter through Wii-U. So Nintendo could have supported it, but chose not to. The fact they had Wii VC on Wii-U but not Game Cube is an insult.

The lack of analog triggers is a hurdle albeit a minor one. For instance, Super Mario Sunshine spray nozzle could easily be controlled with two triggers, one for soft press and one for hard press. Move Z-trigger to the Minus or Select button.

As for price, given that n64 is $10 and Wii is $20, Game Cube VC would probably sell for $15.

• Like 1

Actually the Wii requires a lot more resources to emulate. It isn't just a faster PowerPC CPU, but the Wii has a lot more powerful GPU and more memory and Bluetooth, etc. Hackers figured out how to load Game Cube ISOs through the SD card, using the native ports on older Wiis, or the Mayflash Game Cube adapter through Wii-U. So Nintendo could have supported it, but chose not to. The fact they had Wii VC on Wii-U but not Game Cube is an insult.

The lack of analog triggers is a hurdle albeit a minor one. For instance, Super Mario Sunshine spray nozzle could easily be controlled with two triggers, one for soft press and one for hard press. Move Z-trigger to the Minus or Select button.

As for price, given that n64 is $10 and Wii is $20, Game Cube VC would probably sell for $15.

I always just presumed that the Wii U contained an additional Wii, the Wii contained a GameCube, same with portables. Edited by toptenmaterial
  • Like 1