IGNORED

32k sideport expansion

jedimatt42

The 32k sideport memory expansion card is available now on http://arcadeshopper.com

This satisfies requirements of many of the multicarts that lead into expansion ram or otherwise require it for execution, such as many of the games on the 6 Games carts from Gazoo, the 2Meg multi-cart from Gazoo, many of the games on the XB2.7 suite, and many of the .bin images for the FlashRom99.

For details about the board see http://ti994a.cwfk.net/32k.html And or watch this video that covers it pretty well:

This memory expansion is a standard 32k. It connects to the sideport of the 4A console or extension port from other sideport devices.

It provides the standard 32k expansion equivalent to the TI expansion card made by TI.

It has 1 jumper to configure the power source, either:

• (TI) the edgecard pin 1 power provided by the TI console
  • (Ext) the external barrel jack.

If you are connecting directly to the sideport, then the (TI) setting should be right for you. If you have a speech synthesizer or other device connected to the sideport first, then you have some options. There are instructions on the website for modifying a speech synthesizer to pass power through on pin 1. This is also illustrated in Omega's video. Thanks Omega! The (Ext) setting can be used if you want to follow Shift838's instructions for providing nano-peb power from the speech synthesizer. The (Ext) setting just requires a tip positive +5v supply, such as you get with a USB to Type M cable adapter such as the following: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MQO96U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-M@

• Like 8

I've been wondering about peb usage. I could get by with just a console, fr99 and this side cart. But do I have to?

What are the pin outs on a peb slot and how does the ti know which card to hit? Like, how hard would it be to create a peb adaptor for this to replace the standard 32k cards? It would mean 32k without giving up the peb and running from peb power.

Mind you I'm on an atx psu so my power availability is slightly different than someone with a standard peb psu and the need for regulators.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I've been wondering about peb usage. I could get by with just a console, fr99 and this side cart. But do I have to?

Like, how hard would it be to create a peb adaptor for this to replace the standard 32k cards? It would mean 32k without giving up the peb and running from peb power.

I'm not sure I know exactly where you are heading with this (I haven't had my coffee yet), but if your are going where I THINK you are, Matt's already thought of that! :) He showed me a cool little adapter that converts from his side-port adapter to the edge card format compatible with the PEB's flex card interface. With any luck he's reading this message and will post a photo of it here, and maybe his source for the parts?

With this arrangement, you could have the P-Box's power off while runing stuff that requires 32K while not needing disk or RS-232 access, but only use the P-Box when necessary. Is that where you were heading?

• Like 1

Actually, that's a great idea!

I was just thinking that if you rely on a peb and your 32k card dies, it gets harder and harder to find a replacement. So having this adaptor would at least mean not giving up the peb.

As soon as e have a modern day readily available mass storage solution for the side cart, less reliance on a peb.

I image a minipeb some day. Basically a side cart expansion box just like the PEB only miniature and the cards are like pcmcia cards to add and remove for needed functions. Modern day, readily available parts.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Actually, that's a great idea!

I was just thinking that if you rely on a peb and your 32k card dies, it gets harder and harder to find a replacement. So having this adapter would at least mean not giving up the peb.

I think if you wanted a 32K card you could find one easy enough, they are not as rare as an RS-232 for example. Over the past few months a few of us have replaced our 32K cards with the SAMS card, so we have an extra one or two 32K cards lying around.

• Like 1

What are the pin outs on a peb slot and how does the ti know which card to hit? Like, how hard would it be to create a peb adaptor for this to replace the standard 32k cards? It would mean 32k without giving up the peb and running from peb power.

Mind you I'm on an atx psu so my power availability is slightly different than someone with a standard peb psu and the need for regulators.

My 32k memory is activated and responsive whenever the address lines for the expansion ram are active, and the memory access signals are correct. This is the same behavior as the TI card in the peb. You cannot have both connected at the same time, it might seem to work, but both will drive the data lines, and that is undesirable.

-M@

• Like 1

Matt,

Maybe I misunderstood, I didn't think he talking about using both 32K devices at the same time. I thought he was talking about using your 32K unit while hooked up to a P-Box WITHOUT a 32K card. The assumption is everything else, FDC, RS-232 or whatever should still function in a P-Box with the power on.

• Like 1

Matt,

Maybe I misunderstood, I didn't think he talking about using both 32K devices at the same time. I thought he was talking about using your 32K unit while hooked up to a P-Box WITHOUT a 32K card. The assumption is everything else, FDC, RS-232 or whatever should still function in a P-Box with the power on.

Correct. Hell if I could do that I'd fill all the slots with 32k cards lol! :)

In the short term, I am getting this 32k side cart. (Can I get a kit to save a little by assembling it myself?) But I don't want to give up my peb. So I might end up setting up a second console. One for everyday and one for modding and special purposes.

• Like 1

Correct. Hell if I could do that I'd fill all the slots with 32k cards lol! :)

In the short term, I am getting this 32k side cart. (Can I get a kit to save a little by assembling it myself?) But I don't want to give up my peb. So I might end up setting up a second console. One for everyday and one for modding and special purposes.

"So I might end up setting up a second console. One for everyday and one for modding and special purposes."

and this is how it begins! :)

I've been considering a side-port variant of the SAMS, but it hasn't been at the top of my list. One note for anyone looking to put a memory card in the PEB--the SAMS card is a drop-in replacement there, so as long as I'm around making parts for the TI, there will be a PEB option for memory available. The cost is about the same, and it does a lot more. There isn't a huge amount of software that uses it--but like all good things, the more of them in user hands, the more opportunity for random development that can target them.

I really like the side-port 32K too--as there are a lot of use cases for it, especially when looking for a demonstration system to lug around for shows and such. I'll have to put in my order for some of these from the second batch too. . .

• Like 2

As consumers of most products have proven repeatedly in the past, they do not want to, or cannot expend a lot of time and or effort having to learn and remember numerous calls, peeks, pokes and numbers to perform various tasks. Having a program that can simply load up and execute with a minimum of effort, like the Monopoly game would be optimal.

Hardware and software has been in an endless cycle of one driving the other to ever greater heights, sadly the size of the user base has a limiting impact on the development side of things. One needs a "KILLER APPLICATION" that the majority want, need or just find too cool to pass up to get them to adopt a software or hardware item. It's a catch 22 that is aggravating as heck, but a truth in life. Recently we've seen two major items that fill that description and we have seen the awesome results. When it comes to the SAMS, I see so much potential, as of yet unrealized. The USB board was a prime example IMHO... totally awesome concept, fantastic design, many many potential uses, no drivers. It's an item that could have taken us to uncounted places, all but forgotten. Such a shame.

I have a 32 KRAM expansion inside the console, which doesn't interfere with the expansion box. Actually, I can turn off the internal 32 KRAM expansion, using a CRU bit, and then the console will run in the 32 KRAM in the PEB, if there is one.

My internal 32 KRAM is really a 64 KRAM memory, and with different CRU bits, I can turn on one 8 KRAM bank at a time, eventually enabling 64 K contiguous RAM over the whole address range of the TMS 9900. But that hides access to all memory mapped devices too, ot course.

• Like 1