IGNORED

Finally got BallBlazer!

King Atari

Just picked this up at a video game shop in trade, easily the most impressive 7800 game. Great music, and the graphics are so good they'd fit right in on a 16-bit system. Seriously, how they pulled these off on an 8-bit system is beyond me, and this version EASILY crushes the dreadful NES port.

I also picked up Karateka, more or less just to have it, plus I like the Apple IIe version, so why not get it for the 7800 (yes, I knew about the controls).

Space Football: One On One for the SNES does Ballblazer better.

I've never played this game, I'll give you my verdict soon :)

Ballblazer is my all-time favorite. I enjoy the 5200 port the best, it just feels faster and smoother to me. The droid AI also seems to ramp up faster once you select their starting levels. Glad you were able to pick it up, one of these days when there's solid online multiplayer emulation we'll have some kickass Ballblazer tourneys around here :D

Ballblazer is one VERY intense game. Me and a friend of mine would go at it, and the language that followed during a game made Eddie Murphy sound clean! :) (You can tell how long ago that was, since he used to be dirty a while back.) One thing he could never figure out was that, in order to get the ball first, all you had to do was press up on the joystick and hold it there before the bell sounded...but I never told him since he figured out a way to steal the ball from me a good 90% of the time. (Yeah, I know, the forcefields mess with the ball, but I never figured out how he did it.)

Definately a classic and one of my all-time favorite games. I impressed a LOT of people with this game on my 8-bit Atari computer back in '85, even Amiga owners were WOWED. The 7800 version is higher res than the 8-bit and 5200 versions, which I think is very cool, but you do have to have some modified genesis controllers, 2600 sticks or and arcade stick (like me) to really appreciate it, 7800 controllers just make my hands cramp with it too fast. I do really love the analog controls of the 5200 version for this game, it makes it a real joy to play and otherwise is the same game as the Atari computer version. But, I usually play the computer version the most because it has the cool intros that the 5200&7800 versions are missing. All are great though and you can't go wron with any of them and best of all, all three use the POKEY chip for the cool music!

Ballblazer is one of my favorite games for the system. I've played some other versions and none seem to be as fun (the 5200 version's lower resolution annoys me and the NES version is a joke).

I can beat Droid 9 without too much trouble now. w00t :D I haven't really played against a human opponent though, so I can't say how good I really am.

Too bad MESS doesn't have netplay. :P And on that note, too bad there are no decent standalone 7800 emulators.

Can't deny the C64 version is a tasty piece of porting either ;)

I agree, the gameplay is great. Although after growing up with Atari computers I still can't get used to the SID music, people tell me it's much better but it always sounds off to me compared to Atari's. I guess there will always be something to keep the camps debating :D

Has anyone played the Playstation re-release? I think it was called Championship Ballblazer or something. I heard they didn't really do much of an updating, except for crowds in the stands and cheering and all, and maybe a couple of other little things.

Really? I've only heard of the PS1 version. I can see this game making it to the Playstation without too much updating, though.

As for controllers, I generally don't base a game on it's controls until I use a better controller, ie, either with a modified controller or through emulation.

I can beat Droid 9 without too much trouble now. w00t :D I haven't really played against a human opponent though, so I can't say how good I really am.

Single-player Ballblazer was pretty much ruined for me once I realized that if you can get the droid behind you and hold still, it will just keep bumping into your back and never try to get around you.

Has anyone played the Playstation re-release?  I think it was called Championship Ballblazer or something.

Funny you should ask

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25917

Ah ha ha, thanks for that link, I had seen it up, but I didn't read it since I thought y'all would only be talking about the Nintendo version, which I haven't played and didn't know anything about. Too bad both versions were screwed up (the Nintendo and PS1), it sounds like. No wonder it was rated fairly low when it was released, as I read it's review in a video game mag. Oh well.

Space Football: One On One for the SNES does Ballblazer better.

Oh boy, got to try out this game and it gives me a headache. Too many playfield obstacles and gadgets. Give this old guy my simple classic Ballblazer field and goals. I also appreciate how the rotofoils in Ballblazer are always self-centered onto the ball, found that lacking in this game.

The gameplay was very fluid though, got to give them credit after the botched BB ports on the NES and Playstation. I played it on an emulator maybe if I had a SNES console I might appreciate this game more. Game attached, btw :)

space_football__u_.zip

Archived