IGNORED

Need help getting smoke smell out of a game cabinet!

rapoza609

So I bought a vectrex store display kiosk but the damn thing smells so badly of smoke it's nauseating. I tried cleaning it gently with baking soda and water and I just kept getting piece after piece of dark brown stained paper towel coming back as I wiped it. It was disgusting and it still smells. I'm concerned about it making the rest of the things in my game room stink. Anyone have any suggestions?

Air out in the garage and sunlight. UV rays are not only good disinfectants but also break down organic odors. Bad comes to worse, repainting/refinishing.

A more unorthodox thing to try is seal it up in a big-ass bag, and put one of those ionic breeze units in there. Let it sit for month. The negative ions and O3 are like bubbles that pop and blast away odor. Similar to supercharged UV. Not unlike the scrubby bubbles stuff. Crazy, but it worked with some magazines and manuals.

As mentioned, Simple Green. Keep at it until there is no longer any nicotine on the paper towels.

Then look up bare bones ozone generator. You can buy one for under $50 bucks on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GS5L08//ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=efdf6f561dcae5941dde004c2a7b5871

It's the type of device that trauma scene clean up companies use to get the rotting smell of a corpse out of a house.

Two 30 minute shock treatments and that cabinet will smell April fresh forever. They are also great for sterilizing any room in your house and getting rid of odors in a car. Not only will it kill mold and bacteria, it'll kill things like spiders and any houseplants or pets you happen to leave in the room.

It's something you want to be very careful with...always use a fan and never leave it on too long as it can destroy things like foam in furniture.

Mine came with detailed instructions on how to use it safely. It's one of the most useful things I've ever bought.

• Like 2

+1 on the ozone generator. When I bought the house I live in now, we purchased 3 units for shock treating rooms.

Ozone is highly reactive, sort of like an airborne bleach. Insurance companies use ozone generators to remove house-fire smoke smell from items, pot growers use them to remove the smell and mold potential from indoor grow ops.

You just need to be sure nobody can breathe in the stuff while it's being used and a bit after, and not to use it often on anything with rubber or similar.

Owning the units has proven useful now and again, so I'm glad I bought them.