IGNORED

Good price for rare and semi rare games?

Denicio

The internet has given me MORE knowledge about the games i never knew existed or ones i'd heard about but never saw. Now that i am building my collection again i was wondering about a few games and what someone should expect to spend on them?

Specifically, these:

Solar Sailer

Shark Shark

Sewer Sam

Blockade Runner

Safecracker

Dragonfire

Mr Basic meets Bits n Bytes

Zaxxon

Donkey Kong

Whats a fair price for each specific game?

No one wants to spend 100.00 for a Black Jack Poker game, right? Just trying to know what the going rate is for these guys.

A good way to get a feel for this is to search for already completed auctions on Ebay. You have to use the advanced search option and select the box for "sold listings." Just search for a variety of terms like Intellivision, Intellivision cartridge, Intellivision tron, etc. Another option is books which while they turn out to be a bit dated are very helpful. I have this book and think it is swell: https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Video-Games-Identification-Value/dp/1574325736/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QCEB14WS211NZVHJQFKV&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=7df5668f96c2791ceb657d6d8274dbdf

Are you looking for complete copies? I will just take a wild stab at this and tell you that I see two outliers on your list. Mr Basic is a bit more rare than the others and will cost a little more (maybe). On the other end, someone will probably send you Donkey Kong for free (did you mean DK Jr?). You can likely find the rest loose for between $10 - $20 each if you are a little patient and make some friends on this site.

• Like 1

The internet has given me MORE knowledge about the games i never knew existed or ones i'd heard about but never saw. Now that i am building my collection again i was wondering about a few games and what someone should expect to spend on them?

Specifically, these:

Solar Sailer

Shark Shark

Sewer Sam

Blockade Runner

Safecracker

Dragonfire

Zaxxon

Donkey Kong

No one wants to spend 100.00 for a Black Jack Poker game, right? Just trying to know what the going rate is for these guys.

These games are common enough and should not cost much to own. Now that you are collecting, making the decision on how to collect is needed. Some need only the cart, but if you are going to collect CIB (Complete in Box), do not buy cart only as you will buy it again to get the box and rest of the materials.

BTW eBay is not the only place to make purchases. I sell Intellivision stuff at my website, www.naberhood.com.

• Like 1

Specifically, these:

Solar Sailer

Shark Shark

Sewer Sam

Blockade Runner

Safecracker

Dragonfire

Zaxxon

Donkey Kong

Off the top of my head I'd say you could probably get these as a package for maybe in the $140-150 range CIB in decent condition. Zaxxon is probably the rarest/most expensive but they're all kind of grouped close enough together save maybe DK

Please don't buy Coleco Donkey Kong. Play "DK Arcade" instead, a more recent remake of this game.

http://www.carlmuellerjr.com/2016/12/d1k-arcade-rom-download-page-dk-arcade.html?m=1

https://www.naberhood.com/dk-arcade-new-discontinued

Not sure if your buying cartridges for collecting or playing; either or both is great. Just be aware of flash memory cartridges (eg. LTO Flash) that let you load up any number of games (rom files) on one cartridge.

http://ltoflash.leftturnonly.info/

These old games are only available used and haven't been in production for over fifteen years (Intellivision Lives/Rocks for play on a real Intellivision). So you can save a bit of money investing in a flash cartridge. [And they're very convenient]

Edited by mr_me

Please don't buy Coleco Donkey Kong. Play "DK Arcade" instead, a more recent remake of this game.

http://www.carlmuellerjr.com/2016/12/d1k-arcade-rom-download-page-dk-arcade.html?m=1

https://www.naberhood.com/dk-arcade-new-discontinued

Not sure if your buying cartridges for collecting or playing; either or both is great. Just be aware of flash memory cartridges (eg. LTO Flash) that let you load up any number of games (rom files) on one cartridge.

http://ltoflash.leftturnonly.info/

These old games are only available used and haven't been in production for over fifteen years (Intellivision Lives/Rocks for play on a real Intellivision). So you can save a bit of money investing in a flash cartridge. [And they're very convenient]

DK Arcade is very good, but please stop knocking Coleco Donkey Kong. It is a pretty good game for what it was. It was a terrible conversion of Donkey Kong, but putting that aside, it didn't play that bad, and it had two different screens.

As disappointed as I was when I was a kid of getting gipped by the Coleco Donkey Kong when I was expecting the arcade version, I actually did play it quite a bit back in the day and enjoyed it. I hear similar stories from others in this forum.

Personally, I think the Intellivision conversion of Zaxxon was a pretty bad rip-off that had horrible game-play (no isometric view??? are you kidding me?!), but I don't see you nor the rest of the peanut gallery recommending everybody ditch it for Space Raid, even though that home-brew is much better. It's just a different game.

Besides, owning a home-brew does not necessarily replace an original 1980s title -- at least to most people.

-dZ.

I was a big fan of arcade Donkey Kong in 1982. A friend of mine got Coleco's Intellivision Donkey Kong when it came out. It was so disappointing not only did I decide to never borrow it, I decided to not buy any third party game. I was never a fan of arcade Zaxxon but if the Intellivision version is as bad as Donkey Kong than you shouldn't buy it either.

Edited by mr_me

I enjoyed playing the Coleco version of DK in the day as well- We played it last season in the HSC and I had a blast...

(Besides, owning a home-brew does not necessarily replace an original 1980s title -- at least to most people.)

I agree !!! Brings you back to your youth that's for sure!!!

Thanks for the heads up on all this. I have a refurb'd arcade console with the ArcadeSD motherboard which allows darned near identical roms (if not the original code) to be played. So when i want to get my DK fix on i have DK, DKjr, DK pauline versoin and foundry to keep me busy. (i have zaxxon too)

With the new addiction to Intellivision i simple want to collect certain games. I will enjoy the TERRIBLE version of Intelli DK for what it is. Probably the same way as a kid i looked past the fact that Space Armada was a decent but clear rip off of......well, you know.

Posted pics in another thread, but here is the arcade consoles i saved from a dive bar, refurb'd and plays like a zillion dollars!!!

Aint she a beauty??

For those that dont know, here is info on the ArcadeSD card. This thing is magical!! http://www.phoenixarcade.com/ArcadeSD.htm

post-49460-0-91182200-1483108547_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-90728500-1483108582_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up on all this. I have a refurb'd arcade console with the ArcadeSD motherboard which allows darned near identical roms (if not the original code) to be played. So when i want to get my DK fix on i have DK, DKjr, DK pauline versoin and foundry to keep me busy. (i have zaxxon too)

With the new addiction to Intellivision i simple want to collect certain games. I will enjoy the TERRIBLE version of Intelli DK for what it is. Probably the same way as a kid i looked past the fact that Space Armada was a decent but clear rip off of......well, you know.

Posted pics in another thread, but here is the arcade consoles i saved from a dive bar, refurb'd and plays like a zillion dollars!!!

Aint she a beauty??

For those that dont know, here is info on the ArcadeSD card. This thing is magical!! http://www.phoenixarcade.com/ArcadeSD.htm

Those are gorgeous! :thumbsup:

Yes emulating the original DK is the way to go. You can also emulate Intellivision if interested.

My friend that had Coleco Donkey Kong also had Space Armada. By 1982 Space Invaders was already dated in the Arcades so I didn't have much interest. He showed it to me, I thought it looked way too crowded. He did have Space Hawk and Baseball that I played.

Its an interesting selection of games you listed here. You'll need an ECS for Mr Basic.