IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2017 (Season 10)

It was more adventure gaming for me this week.

DOS

King's Quest I 10

Windows 95/98

Blade Runner 24

The Curse of Monkey Island 67

King's Quest VI 46

The X-Files 360

After finishing Monkey 3, I ended up playing The XFiles FMV game the most. I got this game at some point in the last few years, and I have all 7 CDs. I guess it was time to put them to use. It feels like watching an XFiles episode without Mulder and Scully. It sounds bad to state it like that, but I don't get much XFiles these days, so I'm enjoying it.

I'll probably go back to all the other games from this week again. I just found out about Blade Runner recently and found the discs on Internet Archive. It was great in the short time I played it, and I've been meaning to play KQ6 for around 20 years now. As for KQ1, there's something about the original. I think I've finished only once, but I've been playing its many releases for almost 30 years. I doubt I'm done yet.

• Like 5

My times for the week:

NES:
Door Door - 4 min.
PC Engine:
Atomic Robo-Kid Special - 127 min.
Final Match Tennis - 30 min.
Genesis:
Davis Cup World Tour Tennis 2 - 1 min.
Super Mario 4: Space Odyssey - 172 min.
SNES:
Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball - 5 min.
Bronkie the Bronchiasaurus - 144 min.
No Escape - 276 min.
Spindizzy Worlds - 5 min.
Super Tennis - 1 min.
Utopia - 1 min.
Beat Atomic Robo-Kid Special, No Escape, and Bronkie.
I also beat the trashy Genesis bootleg Super Mario 4, but it turns out I only beat it on Easy -- though I think higher difficulties just reduce your lives and continues. Plus I also played without benefit of the game's item shop, which softlocks the game half the time unless you have a patched version (and now I do).
  • Like 5

No huge times for me this week...

TG-16/PC Engine

Kyuukyoku Tiger (emulated) - 12 min (So did some more research and this is called Twin Tiger in the US version. Can already tell that it's one of those games that is going to be difficult to continue after a death because you lose all your powerups. So I've gotten to where I just reset after each death and start over. lol)

Playstation

Wipeout XL (emulated) - 35 min (Working on some of those harder tracks. Taking several tries to get gold... these can be really challenging. Wish I still had the actual disc.)

Saturn

Sega Rally Championship (emulated) - 25 min (Haven't gotten past the third track yet... this game will definitely take some time to get used to the controls and memorize the tracks. It is so much better than Sega GT on the Dreamcast, though.)

Was going to play some Tiger Heli because Kyuukyoku Tiger reminds me of it so much, but never got around to it. I remember it as one of the earliest NES games I ever played. I actually rented it once when I rented an NES before having my own.

• Like 5

This week was another week of late summer handheld gaming for my household, though with a bit more variety and slightly less tracker eligible time than the previous few weeks.

DKKkOwN.jpg

Ineligible

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (Nintendo DS) - 206 minutes

The Pinball Arcade (Android) - 53 minutes

Touch the Dead (Nintendo DS) - 191 minutes

Game Boy
DragonHeart - 66 minutes
Kirby's Dream Land - 4 minutes

Paperboy - 31 minutes

RoboCop (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 24 minutes

RoboCop vs. The Terminator (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 14 minutes

Space Invaders - 47 minutes

Tetris - 16 minutes

T2: The Arcade Game - 62 minutes

Game Boy Color
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - 38 minutes
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - 31 minutes

Pac-Man: Special Color Edition - 8 minutes

Sega Genesis (Emulated on Nintendo Wii)

RoboCop Versus The Terminator - 26 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
817 minutes (13 hours 37 minutes) [367 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo DS: 397 minutes
Game Boy: 264 minutes
Game Boy Color: 77

Android: 53 minutes

Sega Genesis: 26 minutes

Starting off with my times for the week, I got a bit distracted from my quest to complete the Game Boy Color title The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and ended up veering off into a number of shorter games for the original Game Boy. They were all played for the "How Many Game Boy Games Can NintendoAge Beat In 2017?" tracker, and this week I polished off Paperboy, Space Invaders, and T2: The Arcade Game. I also got sidetracked by trying out a few RoboCop games for the Game Boy just to see what I'd think of them. The original RoboCop was well made though obscenely difficult (to the point that I probably wouldn't have much fun tackling it without the aid of a Game Genie) and RoboCop vs. The Terminator for the Game Boy was fairly disappointing due to enormous amounts of slowdown. After spending some time with those two I really needed to play a good RoboCop game, so I busted out my Wii Classic Controller and played a few levels of the very cool RoboCop Versus The Terminator for the Sega Genesis. The designers really nailed it with that one!

When I did eventually decide to get back to Oracle of Ages I decided it was time to finally upgrade the slowly dying speaker in my Game Boy Color, so I opened it up and desoldered the original speaker from the motherboard, cut a little bit of plastic away from the inside of the housing to make room for the new bigger speaker, then soldered in the speaker from a DS Lite in the old one's place. It only took half an hour or so and was definitely a worthwhile upgrade, since the sound from my Game Boy Color is now much louder and substantially clearer. At that point I was ready to resume my quest in Oracle of Ages, but a good chunk of my gaming time was spent playing Oracle of Seasons again instead since the two games are linked and where I'm at in Oracle of Ages right now requires me to go back to Oracle of Seasons again and complete a few tasks there. After completing some missions in the other game I was rewarded with passwords that I could take back to Oracle of Ages and give to certain NPCs to upgrade the quantity of bombs I could carry, the size of my seed pouch, and so on. I've always found it really neat how you're never quite done with whichever of the two games you decide to play first, since the second game will have you going back to the first time and again to complete little quests along the way.

Lastly, before I get on to my wife's gaming time for the week, I was really excited to have found a pristine condition copy of DragonHeart for the Game Boy this past week! It's a darn tough game past the second level (I think there are eight levels altogether) but I'm still really enjoying it and will definitely be dedicating a lot of time to playing it once I finish the Zelda games I've been working on. As far as the misses gaming time for the week went she actually ended up playing a few Game Boy games as well! Her birthday was last week and one of the gaming related presents she got this year was an adapter that would let her use her favorite PlayStation arcade stick with the GameCube and all the emulators on the Wii via it's GameCube controller port. She spent a little time testing it out with the GameCube's Game Boy Player coupled with Kirby's Dream Land, Tetris, and Pac-Man: Special Color Edition and thought it worked great' so I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Game Boy / Color time logged from her in the not-too-distant future. The bulk of her gaming time for the past week was spent tapping and swiping on her Nintendo DSi XL though, as she continued to try and figure out the right sequence of choices to get the one good ending in 999 and revisit one of her old favorites: Touch the Dead. She played through and beat Touch the Dead with relative ease but she's not quite done with 999 yet, having now figured out the right sequence of choices to make in it but not having had the time to play/read through the game one more time and make them.

Well, I think that about covers everything for this week! Until next week I hope you're all having a great summer and enjoying the weather!

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 31, running from July 31 - August 6. We logged 5653 minutes of eligible play, playing 86 games on a total of 21 systems.

Top 10:

1. Phantasy Star II (Genesis) - 434

2. Killing Time (3DO) - 375

3. X-Files, The (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 360

4. Space Dungeon (Atari 5200) - 300

5. No Escape (SNES) - 276

6. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 266

7. Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf (Genesis) - 240

8. Jungle Hunt (Atari 5200) - 215

9. Hydlide [aka Hydlide Special (JPN)] (NES/Famicom) - 200

10. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Genesis) - 185

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Space Dungeon (Atari 5200) - 300

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 266

3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 5200) - 215

4. Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest (Atari 7800) - 120

5. Turtles (Arcade) - 112

6. Super Cobra (Atari 2600) - 83

7. Exocet [aka Cruise Missile] (Atari 2600) - 68

7. Seafox (C64) - 68

9. Anchovy Coast (Sinclair ZX Spectrum) - 60

9. Pac-Man (Atari 5200) - 60

Top 10 systems:

1. Genesis (1149)

2. Atari 5200 (700)

3. Atari 2600 (630)

4. SNES (612)

5. PC (Windows 95/98) (497)

6. NES/Famicom (494)

7. 3DO (375)

8. Game Boy (264)

9. TG-16/PC Engine (169)

10. Atari 7800 (120)

The meseta roll in, as Phantasy Star II is this week's top game in another robust week! The Genesis takes the system crown as well, while the dual-stick action of Space Dungeon earns the laurels on the pre-NES chart.

In addition, the 1000-minute club welcomes aboard Phantasy Star II and (on the Atari 5200) Qix, whose 1214 and 1008 minutes (respectively) book them passage on tickets #294 and #295.

• Like 6

Lately I've been playing a recently acquired Battletoads for NES. So far I've made it to the second checkpoint in the turbo tunnel.

I also have been playing Donkey Kong Country. I beat it yesterday so I'm probably going for the second game soon.

Cool -- if you want to compile and post your times on these games, I'd be more than happy to add them to next week's stats. :)

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (August 7th through 13th)...

Arcade:

Ms. Pac-Man (Turbo Hack) - 47 min.

Atari 2600:

Pac Man - 22 min.

Atari 7800:

Ms. Pac-Man - 62 min.

Not too much gaming this week since it was my first week at work after a 3 weeks leave. Still I did play some Pac-Man variants which were left out in the weeks before:

The Atari 7800 version of Ms. Pac-Man is an important one in my eyes since it's possibly the best one that Atari put out back in the day. It was mentioned in a magazine article about the impending 7800 launch (which was subsequently cancelled), and according to it it was done by the original programmer of the arcade version (Bally). As we know now, it was actually GCC who was responsible for both the 7800 and turning the original Pac-Man arcade game into Ms. Pac-Man, so even though they didn't completely write it from scratch, they certainly knew their stuff, and it might indeed have been the same programmer. This version is indeed very close to the arcade version, including the proper cornering and number of pellets (well, almost). There's only a bit of trickery with the pallettes, which is why the red ghost is actually purple, but during the intermissions it is red. This version is rather on the fast side and even gets faster as the game progresses.

Then I played the Turbo hack of the Ms. Pac-Man arcade game where Ms. Pac-Man gets much faster, but this actually makes the game easier if you can manoeuver quickly enough. Thus I managed to see the 3rd intermission three times over the course of a game and got over 120,000 points.

Finally, I also played the original 2600 version of Pac-Man. Apart from the totally different maze, this one has got the difficulty being ramped up differently to the original version in that the ghosts start out very slow and get faster which each round until they are as fast as Pac-Man. And they don't slow down while they're blue, thus it gets harder and harder to catch them although the blue time doesn't decrease, at least not as dramatically as in the original version.

• Like 5

Commodore Amiga CD32 :

1. Alien Breed - 193 min

2. Alien Breed - Tower Assault - 145 min

3. Banshee - 202 min

4. Brutal Football - 50 min

5. Disposable Hero - 165 min

6. Super Stardust - 75 min

Neo Geo AES :

1. Ghost Pilots - 118 min

2. Alpha Mission II - 245 min

3. Baseball Stars 2 - 154 min

• Like 6

My times for the week:

NES:

Tokoro San no Mamoru mo Semeru mo (JPN) - 3 min.

Genesis:

No Escape - 5 min.

SNES:

ABC Monday Night Football - 4 min.

Chester Cheetah: Wild Wild Quest - 121 min.

Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour - 6 min.

Super Bases Loaded 2 - 7 min.

Super Tennis - 376 min.

Turn and Burn: No-Fly Zone - 2 min.

Wayne's World - 4 min.

Nothing too exciting from me -- I mainly just replayed a couple games I've previously beaten for the NintendoAge effort, but did so on lower difficulty levels or to less exacting standards than my usual. (In other words I didn't face Don J in Super Tennis, and I beat Chester Cheetah on Normal instead of Hard.)

• Like 6