IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2017 (Season 10)

Baldur's Gate 548

I am now in chapter 5 (of 7).

You are proceeding fast in this game. Sure, there's some considerable playtime accumulated already, but I would have been no further than chapter 3 or so at that point. However, I tended to lose myself exploring EVERY map, even on overland travel, and doing every stupid sidequest. I think I sank way over 300 hours into playing through this game back in the days.

• Like 3

The first half of Syphon Filter was pretty reasonable difficulty wise (aside from the boss with the flamethrower, who took a ridiculous number of hits to take down) but later in the game when most of the enemies start wearing flak jackets was when the frustration really set in for us. The enemies' body armor is way more durable than your own, so while you will die from 2 close range shotgun blasts it takes like 5 or 6 of them to kill an enemy; and since they start swarming you 2 or 3 at a time through the last half of the game that leaves headshots as your only option for dealing with them.

That was the really frustrating part. Having 2 or 3 enemies constantly rushing into the rooms and swarming you, and your only practical option for taking them out is to use L1 to zoom into the first-person targeting mode and try to shoot them all in the head before they kill you. It might have not been so bad if I had used a Dual Shock Analog Controller and had analog input for the targeting, but using the sluggish and imprecise digital control of the D-pad (or arcade stick in my wife's case) for the job was really difficult sometimes. There were many occasions that we had to try the same parts over and over again two dozen times or more until we eventually got lucky and made it to the next checkpoint.

Still, in spite of the targeting troubles and difficulty complaints Syphon Filter was a pretty awesome game. The story and voice acting were way more elaborate and well done than you'd generally expect from an original PlayStation game. Since it was released only 5 months after Konami's phenomenally successful Metal Gear Solid it seems pretty clear that Syphon Filter was Sony's attempt to get their own development studio 989 in on the stealth military action and claim a piece of the pie for themselves, and the result was a pretty darn good game that was a lot more grounded in reality and akin to a Tom Clancy novel than Konami's offering. I'll definitely be looking forward to playing Syphon Filter 2 at some point to see where the story goes, and hoping that they managed to tighten up the digital controls or tone down the difficulty a little for the sequel. :)

It has been a long time, but now that you mention it, I do seem to remember having to use the sniper rifle in some silly situations. That could have just as well been some other game (or multiple games) back then. Or maybe I figured out some genius way to kill those guys . . . I guess we'll never know. It does sound frustrating though.

• Like 3

Hey tracking team, I just wanted to mention that an ineligible game I played A LOT of last year is now on sale in the Xbox (One) store. Hand of Fate is now only $6.60. Could be cheaper on Steam maybe. I really liked it and it does have a sort of retro/card game feel to it. Check it out.

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 7, running from February 13 - 19. We logged 8,665 minutes of eligible play, playing 71 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Lawnmower Man, The (SNES) - 2500

2. Syphon Filter (PlayStation) - 956

3. Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation) - 825

4. Diablo (PlayStation) - 776

5. Baldur's Gate (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 548

6. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 401

7. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 368

8. Flappy (NES/Famicom) - 231

9. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision) - 190

10. Baseball Stars (NES/Famicom) - 180

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 401

2. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 368

3. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision) - 190

4. Gold Runner (CoCo 1 & 2) - 85

5. Tutankham (prototype) (Atari 8-bit) - 76

6. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - 75

7. Dragonfire (CoCo 1 & 2) - 70

8. Donkey Kong (Arcade) - 65

9. Frogger II: Threedeep! (Atari 5200) - 50

9. Super Cobra (Atari 8-bit) - 50

9. Jumpman (C64) - 50

9. Centipede (CoCo 1 & 2) - 50

Top 10 systems:

1. PlayStation (2734)

2. SNES (2632)

3. Atari 2600 (1100)

4. PC (Windows 95/98) (548)

5. NES/Famicom (427)

6. CoCo 1 & 2 (385)

7. ColecoVision (206)

8. Atari 8-bit (188)

9. Arcade (127)

10. C64 (90)

This year has been full of record-setting weeks, and Week 7 is another one of 'em, reaching #9 on the all-time list. Leading the charge is Lawnmower Man for the SNES, but its huge 2500-minute time isn't quite enough to hold off the PlayStation, which just gets the edge for the top platform title.

And speaking of the PlayStation, our #3 game Final Fantasy VII had been sitting at 990 minutes for quite some time, but this week's additional 825 minutes send it flying past the 1000-minute mark, giving it membership number #259 to that well-known club.
  • Like 7

Not too much playtime this week... but here's my totals...

Asteroids - 11 min (I went into the 2600 HSC and looked up Asteroids and played by the restrictions they had in place... I died much more quickly than I did before... )

NES

Castlevania - 25 minutes (One day I will make it to the Reaper with the holy water. This time I just kept resetting it if I died. Furthest I got was Frank and the hunchback.)

Gauntlet (emulated) - 16 minutes (I never really had much fun with Gauntlet unless there were other people playing with me.)

Mega Man II (emulated) - 18 minutes (I've never really been that good at Mega Man games. I never owned any of them. I have Mega Man X, but have never spent much time with it. I beat the Air boss and was working on getting through the water stage when I had to stop and go do something else. Haven't tried any since.)

Playstation

Final Fantasy VII (emulated) - 516 minutes (I'm just past Rocket Town and working on doing the Wutai island stuff. I haven't played since early in the week and surprisingly didn't play this weekend. Will try to work on it more this coming week, but this will be my first full week at new job, so... we'll see...)

Sports Car GT - 7 min (Damn this game is terrible. Was just playing it to test out a joystick. I don't know if the difficulty in handling was from the game or the joystick, but the joystick worked fine in menus, so I guess it works.)

Edit: The Asteroids HSC that I looked up was the one from quite a while back. I saw several others here with Asteroids times so I wondered if it was back on. And it is! I'll do what I can in the next few days to get a new score with the new restrictions. (The old restrictions were Left Difficulty A, game 16.) :)

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 5

Here are my times for the past week (February 20th through 26th)...

Arcade:

Donkey Kong - 38 min.

Mario Bros. - 35 min.

T.N.K III - 123 min.

Commodore 64:

Mario Bros. (Ocean) - 3 min.

Mario Bros. (Atarisoft) - 130 min. in 3 sessions

I started off the week by playing some more Donkey Kong in its original form until I managed to see all four screens.

Then I played Mario Bros. on the Commodore 64, quickly abandoning the Ocean version because it's so bad (worst of all is the player control). The Atarisoft version is better, but actually harder than the arcade original as I found out when I replayed that one.

Finally I discovered a new game, T.N.K III which is a predecessor to Ikari Warriors made in 1985. In it you control a tank and try to get through the enemy lines and various scrolling scenery.

• Like 4

No picture or story today since I'm having a really medically rubbish day, but here's a quick and dirty list of my household's play times for the week and hopefully I'll be feeling up to taking the usual weekly picture and writing about this week's games tomorrow.

Ineligible

---------------

Doom II (Game Boy Advance) - 28 minutes

Metroid Prime (GameCube) - 425 minutes

Atari 2600

----------------

Asteroids - 92 minutes

Galaxian - 79 minutes

Gyruss - 72 minutes

New Pac-Man (8k Version) - 24 minutes

Space Rocks - 15 minutes

Game Boy Color

--------------------------

Ms. Pac-Man: Special Color Edition - 30 minutes

Pac-Man: Special Color Edition - 29 minutes

NES

-------

Castlevania (played on Classic NES Series: Castlevania for Game Boy Advance) - 15 minutes

Xevious (played on Classic NES Series: Xevious for Game Boy Advance) - 12 minutes

PlayStation

------------------

Diablo - 510 minutes

Quake II - 497 minutes

Sega Genesis (Emulated on Wii)

---------------------------------------------------

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - 58 minutes

Raiden Trad - 9 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

---------------------------------------------------------------

1,895 minutes (31 hours 35 minutes) [1,442 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

-----------------------------------------------------------------

PlayStation: 1,007 minutes

GameCube: 425 minutes

Atari 2600: 282 minutes

Sega Genesis: 67 minutes

Game Boy Color: 59 minutes

Game Boy Advance: 28 minutes

NES: 27 minutes

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 8, running from February 20 - 26. We logged 4719 minutes of eligible play, playing 41 games on a total of 12 systems.

Top 10:

1. Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation) - 516

2. Diablo (PlayStation) - 510

3. Quake II (PlayStation) - 497

4. Drakkhen (SNES) - 394

5. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - 353

6. Baldur's Gate (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 270

7. Galaxian (Atari 2600) - 262

7. Kaboom (Atari 5200) - 262

9. Flappy (NES/Famicom) - 229

10. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 224

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - 353

2. Galaxian (Atari 2600) - 262

2. Kaboom (Atari 5200) - 262

4. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 224

5. Gyruss (Atari 2600) - 136

6. Mario Bros. (Atarisoft) (C64) - 130

7. Super Cobra (Atari 8-bit) - 96

8. Yars' Revenge (Atari 2600) - 85

9. Oink! (Atari 2600) - 42

10. Donkey Kong (Arcade) - 38

Top 10 systems:

1. PlayStation (1625)

2. Atari 2600 (1235)

3. SNES (397)

4. NES/Famicom (315)

5. PC (Windows 95/98) (270)

6. Atari 5200 (262)

7. Arcade (196)

8. C64 (133)

9. Atari 8-bit (96)

10. Genesis (67)

Final Fantasy VII for PlayStation just beats out Diablo for the #1 spot; Kaboom passes Kaboom and ties Galaxian, but ultimately loses to Asteroids on the pre-NES charts; and Diablo and Drakkhen earn spots #260 and #261 in the 1000-minute club (with 1286 and 1036 minutes, respectively).

And that's Week 8!

• Like 6

Cool! Anyone else before I tally the stats? BurritoBeans?

BTW zylon, to answer your question, we don't count the GameCube times unless they're emulating another system (it's not emulating the PlayStation, is it?). You're still welcome to post them, of course. :)

Nope. I don't believe it is emulating anything. It just happens to be a game from the end of the PSX/Saturn generation that was also ported to the next Xbox/PS2/GC systems that followed.

• Like 2