IGNORED

How much do Catboxes go for today?

Punisher5.0

Pics? Seems dependent on condition. If it's mint and with the box, I imagine it would go for roughly $300-$325, though someone else may be better to chime in.

Real value is starting at .99 cents and seeing what it ends for a week later. ;-)

Its not going on ebay so that won't work. Thanks for your opinion though.

They go for a LOT, I was curious about buying one, and a copy of Wolfenstein 3D. The console goes for like $175 and up. Too rich for my blood.

I kind of blame Youtube for hardware and games exploding in price across the board. Seems like a lot of retro systems are just too expensive, for casuals on a limited budget to collect for these days.

Edited by sherberttcat
  • Like 2

What did your "original box" look like?

Mine was an inside out atari disk drive density expander or something like that. It was from another product sold by them. They just folded the box inside out so the white inner lining was facing the outside, and they wrote Catbox on it in marker.

What did your "original box" look like?

Mine was an inside out atari disk drive density expander or something like that. It was from another product sold by them. They just folded the box inside out so the white inner lining was facing the outside, and they wrote Catbox on it in marker.

Yep. I'm pretty sure they all were.

The last one I missed out on (bad timing, ended about 5am my time IIRC) it went for just shy of $200 ($175ish?).

I think sans-eBay fees and hassles, somewhere between $125 - $175 is 'fair'. I was recently going to buy one of those multi AV things on eBay but forgot about it...d'oh! They only come up sporadically, but got for a bit under $100. Sure, they're not professionally produced (they look very good considering) , but essentially include most of the Catbox functionality (plus Jaglink II compatibility).

If I were offered a Catbox for approximately $150, I'd snap it up. It still want a ScatBox, but the last one I saw (on here on think) went way beyond what I'd even consider, which is fair enough simply due to supply vs demand. It's a shame that they don't sell them anymore, I reckon that they could shift a few hundred no problems at ~$125 a piece (still pricey but relatively sane given it's the Jaguar market)...potentially looking about $20K+ before costs.

Let me know if you want to sell it Punisher5.0... :)

With a box realistically it should hit $250-$350. They have gone down a bit since I bought mine but they still seem to be $200ish loose if not more.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Find it hard to believe that it would sell for over $400 unless it was literally NOS and never touched by humans but I suppose crazier has happened.

@Punisher - Guess the real question is how much are you wanting to get from it?

• Like 1

Okay, maybe I was a bit off. Still, as shown by the eBay catbox clone (which I keep missing out on because they're never available when I want one and they're always available when I forget to bid or have bills to pay lol!) these things can be built in small quantities for a relatively low figure compared to catbox prices.

So yeah, perhaps a catbox is 'worth' $200 but much more than that and you're getting into more money than sense territory. Then again, the market will pay what it wants especially for relatively uncommon things like the catbox, and now is definitely the time to sell anything with the name Jaguar on it for prices that even 18 months ago would've seemed a bit too high *sigh*

Edited by skip

• 2 weeks later...