IGNORED

Atari flashback 1 to usb?

Tifany

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has ever figured out a direct plug in type adaptor to convert the Flashback 1 (Mini 7800) controller to USB to be able to use it on the PC through emulation?

I saw the video where you can use something like 7 different adaptors to use it on a real 7800/2600 but I was hoping for a much simpler solution. And if not currently available are there any techy guys out there that could build me one?

Thanks!

Tifany

The Flashback 1 joysticks are actually NES controller, just with a different plug (the Flashback 1 console itself is a NES clone).
So the simpler solution is to buy a NES to usb adapter and have someone wire a simple adapter for the plug. I think the pinout for the FB1 controller has been posted somewhere here in the forums.

Edited by alex_79

Thanks Alex, that was going to be my next step. I had thought that someone had tried that and for some reason it didn't work. I've got some NES cables around here somewhere and Im sure I have a female DB9 in my pile of goodies. Maybe Ill just have to get a project going sometime.

You could easily build an NES adapter for the parallel port (DB-25, DB-9, a few wires and diodes), although that would require having a parallel port.

Problem is, parallel ports aren't what they used to be. Microsoft IIRC slimmed down what you could do with it. I remember some guy hookig up a paralel port to a PS2 controller(hooking up the siwtches, etc) to find cheat codes in GTA: SA. With a USB-parallel port adapter, that's not possible.

• 4 weeks later...

I built a FB1-to-LPT adapter at one point (probably 12 years ago now), based on the designs for NES controller adapters. It worked fine, and I think mine could support up to four FB1 controllers. I used it a lot with emulators. The "modern" solution would be to get a USB adapter for NES controllers, and a (possibly homemade) adapter to change the connectors from the FB1's DB9 to NES connectors.