IGNORED

NanoPEB v1 RS232

klrw111-78

I've been using the nano for a couple of months and the disk and memory functionality has been great. I was having some issues using TIprint and thought it was an issue with my old PC. I purchased an Apple Imagewriter ii off eBay to see if a real printer still had the issue (it does). When I am sending output to the printer, there are what appear to be random characters being printed at the beginning of the line. It's really not a big issue until a control character shows up randomly. I know the com parameters are set correctly between the port and the device. Any other nano peb users having this issue.

I've been using the nano for a couple of months and the disk and memory functionality has been great. I was having some issues using TIprint and thought it was an issue with my old PC. I purchased an Apple Imagewriter ii off eBay to see if a real printer still had the issue (it does). When I am sending output to the printer, there are what appear to be random characters being printed at the beginning of the line. It's really not a big issue until a control character shows up randomly. I know the com parameters are set correctly between the port and the device. Any other nano peb users having this issue.

Hey there...

I recently bought a nanoPEB as well, and, I too noticed "additional" characters showing up in my PC's "term emulation" screen.

Although, it has been said that the nanoPEB has a original TI TMS9902 in it, there are also version;s of the nano that use a 16C550 UART as well. I don't know if this makes the "additional" character(s) show up or not, but, I do know that there are some programs with the PC (TiDIR) and (TiHDX) that work with the nano I have. I haven't tried TIPRINT yet? If you (or whoever watches this "blog") have more info on that program, I would be really interested to hear more about it.

Thanks for your input :-)

Sincerely,...

Jt

Hey there...

I recently bought a nanoPEB as well, and, I too noticed "additional" characters showing up in my PC's "term emulation" screen.

Although, it has been said that the nanoPEB has a original TI TMS9902 in it, there are also version;s of the nano that use a 16C550 UART as well. I don't know if this makes the "additional" character(s) show up or not, but, I do know that there are some programs with the PC (TiDIR) and (TiHDX) that work with the nano I have. I haven't tried TIPRINT yet? If you (or whoever watches this "blog") have more info on that program, I would be really interested to hear more about it.

Thanks for your input :-)

Sincerely,...

Jt

I would limit the 9902 version to 9600 baud or less.. The only thing that works faster is cfhdxs which i believe runs at 19200. You have a version 1 (it says on the title screen of the ti when you boot up) which is a 9902.. the 16550 version is a version 2, and there is a com device rather than rs232.

Greg

• Like 1

I've tried lower baud rates down to 300 baud and still get the same result with the nano v1. TIHdx works fine with no errors, but using TI Basic with a LIST "RS232.BA=xxxx.DA=8.PA=N" or DA=7.PA=E where xxxx is 300-9600 may list one or several lines OK, but in less than a screen will start acting up. I've sent Jaime a note and he is looking into the problem.

Kerry

I would limit the 9902 version to 9600 baud or less.. The only thing that works faster is cfhdxs which i believe runs at 19200. You have a version 1 (it says on the title screen of the ti when you boot up) which is a 9902.. the 16550 version is a version 2, and there is a com device rather than rs232.

Greg

Hey Greg! :-)...

What do you mean "com device rather than rs232"? What kind of "com device"? A "parallel port" like the CF7 I have, that is used for communication between PC and TI99?

Sincerely,...

Jt

What do you mean "com device rather than rs232"? What kind of "com device"? A "parallel port" like the CF7 I have, that is used for communication between PC and TI99?

The nanoPEB v1 (9902) addresses the serial port as “RS232”, “RS232/1” and “SIO”. For some reason Jaime left out the “SIO” reference in some (all?) of the recent v1 releases. The nanoPEB v2 (16550) addresses the serial port as “COM1”, with none of the other monikers.

...lee

The nanoPEB v1 (9902) addresses the serial port as “RS232”, “RS232/1” and “SIO”. For some reason Jaime left out the “SIO” reference in some (all?) of the recent v1 releases. The nanoPEB v2 (16550) addresses the serial port as “COM1”, with none of the other monikers.

...lee

The nanopeb V1 that I purchased back in December is one that does not have the "SIO" reference.

• 2 weeks later...

If all this is about using Cf2k there was an update (v2.5) recently and this version does also recognize nanoPeb V1 without the SIO. device name.

Version 2.5 There are nanoPeb version 1 without the SIO device name andtherefore these will not be recognized as a nanoPeb.Changed: Cf2k5.c99::detcfmod():   Looking at CRU address >1300:   1) If device name "SIO." is available it is a nanoPeb 1.   2) If device name "COM1." is available it is a nanoPeb 2.   3) If device name "RS232." is available it is a nanoPeb 1.   4) If device name "PIO." is available it is a Cf7a+.

New version can be downloaded here: http://www.ti99-geek.nl/

Edited by F.G. Kaal
  • Like 1

If all this is about using Cf2k there was an update (v2.5) recently and this version does also recognize nanoPeb V1 without the SIO. device name.

Version 2.5 There are nanoPeb version 1 without the SIO device name andtherefore these will not be recognized as a nanoPeb.Changed: Cf2k5.c99::detcfmod():   Looking at CRU address >1300:   1) If device name "SIO." is available it is a nanoPeb 1.   2) If device name "COM1." is available it is a nanoPeb 2.   3) If device name "RS232." is available it is a nanoPeb 1.   4) If device name "PIO." is available it is a Cf7a+.

Good info to know, Fred! :)

Reminds me -- do you (or anyone else reading this) have any sample code for setting parameters, sending, and receiving using the nanopeb 2? I haven't been able to find much documentation related to how it all works.

Regrettably, my experience with the NanoPEB has been nothing but negative. :/ I've opened a refund request on eBay.

First issue, not supplying a power adapter. Yes, the description notes it's not included, but such a critical component should be in the auction subject line. Also, the amperage requirement is not listed; I bought the wrong one at Radio Shack and had to run back to get the correct one.

Secondly, the card slot was incredibly tight on the side; trying to remove it meant putting a lot more pressure on the circuit board I was comfortable with.

Thirdly, it worked about 2-3 times then it just caused black screen and noise.

Finally, the one time it did work I attempted to save a bitmap image in Paint N'Print and it locked up. There seems to be a common issue with large memory image files. I've had ones of 2k size work, but any larger than that has failed to load or save.

Regrettably, my experience with the NanoPEB has been nothing but negative. :/ I've opened a refund request on eBay.

First issue, not supplying a power adapter. Yes, the description notes it's not included, but such a critical component should be in the auction subject line. Also, the amperage requirement is not listed; I bought the wrong one at Radio Shack and had to run back to get the correct one.

Secondly, the card slot was incredibly tight on the side; trying to remove it meant putting a lot more pressure on the circuit board I was comfortable with.

Finally, the one time it did work I attempted to save a bitmap image in Paint N'Print and it locked up. There seems to be a common issue with large memory image files. I've had ones of 2k size work, but any larger than that has failed to load or save.

The port is quite tight, that is one reason I chose to dedicate a speech synthesizer to the Nano and to do the Power MOD so the Nano pulls it's power from the speech.

I have both Version 1 and 2. I had one issue with one of them (I think 2) and Jaime swapped it out for me with no hesitation.

It is a tight fit. I use a scissors to pry mine out. See here for how I do it (photos with comments):

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/album/1863-nano-peb-removal/

Are you powering up the Nano first? The only time I get the black screen is when I have the power up sequence wrong. You should power up the Nano first, and the TI second.

Thanks Fred! I've been using the revised version of CF2K and it works great.

The problem involved the actual use of the serial port with a printer or terminal software. The CFHDXS1 software also worked fine for file transfers, but TIPrint did not.

• Like 1

Thanks Fred! I've been using the revised version of CF2K and it works great.

The problem involved the actual use of the serial port with a printer or terminal software. The CFHDXS1 software also worked fine for file transfers, but TIPrint did not.

Rather strange phenomenon ... what am I doing differently in CFHDXS1 compared to the nanoPebs RS232/SIO DSR !?

Ti99Print also relies on the functioning of the DSR.

Rather strange phenomenon ... what am I doing differently in CFHDXS1 compared to the nanoPebs RS232/SIO DSR !?

Ti99Print also relies on the functioning of the DSR.

The attached file is the captured output from a TI BASIC LIST "RS232.BA=....." of the catalog program to TIPrint. Extra characters and control codes. I ran the TI Diagnostics program and got extra random characters at the beginning of every line.

After sending to Jaime, he was able to duplicate the problem and responded with the following:

It happens to me too. Evidently the Basic Interpreter is trying to write a DV80 type record. The first character of a DV80 is the length of the string. Unfortunately, the RS232 DSR doesn't handle DV80 records like it's suppose to. Thus, the junk 1st character on each list.
BTW- I looked at the code closer. It's not DV80 that would cause the problem, but IV80. I don't know why TI did it this way, cause it makes no sense.

Works fine after the fix.

captured output.pdf