IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

Everyone should know just how ridiculous their statements are in that interview. It can take YEARS to create just ONE fairly accurate emulator from scratch. Not accounting for the bugs in emulation which pop up and have to be patched (will there be a beta test of their "proprietary" emulators before launching to paying customers?). If they actually accomplished this feat however, it would be the crowning achievement of the project. You'd think they'd be shouting it from the rooftops: talking to people in the scene or doing interviews discussing the technical details. Instead they crap on free and open source software software, without which this project would be dead in the water. I find it hard to believe that they didn't take advantage of all the already existing code and documentation on emulation to do what they're doing. Shameful.

No need for beta testers when there are drooling fanboys waving their cash frantically trying to buy these things even before the online store and preorders have been properly introduced. People are dying to pay for the privilege, which should show companies that there's at least a market for these things without all the online hoopla.

• Like 1

Everyone should know just how ridiculous their statements are in that interview. It can take YEARS to create just ONE fairly accurate emulator from scratch. Not accounting for the bugs in emulation which pop up and have to be patched (will there be a beta test of their "proprietary" emulators before launching to paying customers?). If they actually accomplished this feat however, it would be the crowning achievement of the project. You'd think they'd be shouting it from the rooftops: talking to people in the scene or doing interviews discussing the technical details. Instead they crap on free and open source software software, without which this project would be dead in the water. I find it hard to believe that they didn't take advantage of all the already existing code and documentation on emulation to do what they're doing. Shameful.

I actually like the UI. A bit rough around the edges navigation-wise, but pretty slick and some interesting ideas. You can tell that this is where they've spent a lot of their time (that and the packaging). When the Polymega goes belly up due to an unsustainable business model or violations of the GPL, I hope that they'll open the source to the UI. ;)

Lest we forget... on top of inventing hybrid tech and creating all their emulators in-house, they built their own game database from scratch. Because this team of four people just didn't have enough to do.

• Like 6

We've gone from "hybrid emulation doesn't exist/is a technical impossibility" to "even if it does exist it is pointless and stupid" to "lol Sony and cave did it first, because they had to for things to work right" to "lol stupid polyblox is stupid and dumb and half-assed" (ostensibly just like Sony and cave, but not... because it is impossible and pointless, right?)

My head hurts.

We've gone from "hybrid emulation doesn't exist/is a technical impossibility" to "even if it does exist it is pointless and stupid" to "lol Sony and cave did it first, because they had to for things to work right" to "lol stupid polyblox is stupid and dumb and half-assed" (ostensibly just like Sony and cave, but not... because it is impossible and pointless, right?)

My head hurts.

We still haven't really clarified what HE is, if it is anything at all.

• Like 1

My head hurts.

If expansion chip games are later planned to be installable, it will render the entire hybrid emulation thing moot. If they wanted to be able to handle everything with emulation at some point, then they should release the device with that in mind from the start.

You don't pour effort into product features that are then planned to be obsolete and replaced. I'm not going to release a car with a sail for propulsion, but then offer an engine down the line. I'll release the car when the engine's ready.

• Like 1

My head hurts.

To be fair to everybody, I made up my own definition of hybrid emulation. Playmaji may have a different definition, but we don't really know. They haven't really done much defining. We've surmised that it's real-time cart access via FPGA talking to a software emulator, but that's not official.

BTW, if that IS the official definition, we should all note that disc-based emulators do this already. PCSX2 can read from a real PS2 DVD and emulate the PS2 console, so is that hybrid emulation? I dunno!

To be fair to everybody, I made up my own definition of hybrid emulation. Playmaji may have a different definition, but we don't really know. They haven't really done much defining. We've surmised that it's real-time cart access via FPGA talking to a software emulator, but that's not official.

BTW, if that IS the official definition, we should all note that disc-based emulators do this already. PCSX2 can read from a real PS2 DVD and emulate the PS2 console, so is that hybrid emulation? I dunno!

Just read the patent application ... it's pretty clear from that (IMHO) the "hybrid emulation" refers to their method of using an FPGA to read a cartridge in realtime while the emulator is running.

They also clearly state in the patent that they are going to use regular software-only emulation for some systems/games.

Which means that we really can't say, so far, if any of the demos on their videos are really actually running "hybrid emulation".

• Like 1

Anyone who believes they actually created all their in house emulators are fools. Don't be so damn naive, that would take a ridiculous amount of time to do given how many consoles are supported. They either are stealing emulators like Hyperkin or paid for licensing. We'll eventually find out the truth. "Hybrid Emulation" is just marketing BS. It just looks like a better built Hyperkin with a neat transforming gimmick.

And even if this so called hybrid emulation actually works in that it reads the cart in real time, how is that going to benefit the user when its still just using some type of software emulation? Is this going to somehow reduce input lag, doubt it, so why even make it seem like such a big deal?

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nullity will make an announcement?

Lol... Not really my place to make announcements, but to keep everyone happy: Stay tuned for more PolyRetromegablox!

attachicon.gif65356260-3B9A-4298-B9E0-5D9FD41CF2C9.png

I cannot fathom why PolyMega isn't talking about this. Cannot even speculate.

Heh, I saw this, too. Had to scratch my head really good on that one. Almost seems like intentional trolling.

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-orders, huh? So are they going to have a solid prototype done before taking others. Like the one twitter response of a reviewer asking for a demo before orders. That would give some credibility.

Or do they need the pre-orders to fund development? How is that different from a campaign..... sigh

• Like 1

Supposedly, they're going to release full specs before pre-orders. But pre-orders are supposed to start this month, which has about a week and a half left. So why can't they just release specs now?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, this is my personal guess only, that R-Blo does indeed have a system designed and ready to be revealed... but that system is rather unimpressive compared to what was hinted at almost two years ago. Their Angel Investors are telling them to keep hush on it because they heard millennial s totally respond to "drip drip" marketing.

• Like 1

Small teams can't afford to waste any time on "strategic marketing" and chasing seasonal cycles. They need to shut up and make a product.

Whenever drip marketing is encountered, or you keep reading press-releases one after the other that don't really say anything, it it is best to put it in the vaporware basket. Rummage through it every 6 months or so and only get your hopes up when it hits standard retail channels. Otherwise you spend inordinate amounts of time listen to someone preach. You become their flunky, fueling a fire that burns for no reason. Except to consume your time and fulfill their narcissistic tendencies through social media.

• Like 1