IGNORED

Just bought my first retro system, an A7800

Stein

I hope when I take it out of the box and hook it up to play I don't feel like a 33 year old idiot :D I bought it sure enough, maybe a little compulsive, but I've wanted one since they were new.

I know if I tell anyone else besides you guys I'll probably be commited to a mental institution, had to tell someone tho :P

Stein

The 7800 is great considering it has such a huge combined 2600 & 7800 game library. A lot of people hate the joysticks, but they're among my favorites because of their precisions and feel. (I actually think they are comfortable.)

I actually think they are comfortable.

That requires at least one :o from me! Those things gave me such wicked hand cramps that I literally threw them in the box for free when I sent Oesii a 7800.

I actually think they are comfortable.

That requires at least one :o from me! Those things gave me such wicked hand cramps that I literally threw them in the box for free when I sent Oesii a 7800.

Man, I love 'em. I played one to death on my 800XL and ST.

The one I think is even better is the space age controller. Not all that comfortable per se, but boy, is it ever precise!

The one I think is even better is the space age controller. Not all that comfortable per se, but boy, is it ever precise!

I appreciate that sentiment DG, because inaccurate controllers drive me nuts (it's why I traded a Vectrex controller for a Competition Pro 5200) but it's hard to play ANYTHING with my wrist in a sling because I broke it trying to use a 7800 standard! :P

well I look forward to trying the joysticks :) cramps or comfortable either way. I still have an old Wico bat handle joystick so I can always use that too (I think).

I paid 61 bucks altogether with shipping for the 7800 (no box), so loose as you say (hopefully the seller will wrap it up snug for shipping), but it's in very good condition and it comes with 20 games, two 7800 style sticks and paddles all the hardware and the most important selling point was the seller tested 'everything' and everything is working, so hopefully no duds :) if there are the seller will replace bad items. So I'm hoping this will be a good deal.

here's the link if you're interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5&category=3537

Stein

I got a rare pole position cart and didn't even realise it, sweet :) well thanks for telling me LOL

Nice site too btw Gregory, very cool, hey! I see a 'rare' Pole Position 2 cart in the 7800 on your page :)

Brian, I'm glad I'm not the only old fart in here ;)

You'll want to get some better joysticks ASAP. I reccomend you check

some thrifts around you and see if you can find a Sega genesis

controller or on old 2600 stick, they aren't too hard to find and are

a lot more comfortable. If you find you enjoy the old games a lot

then you might want to buy the more expensive joypads but for

newbies you're better off buying some more games. I also

reccomend you pick up a bunch more 7800 titles. Most of what

you got are 2600 games which while fine just aren't as nice

as the 7800 ones :) Pretty much all of the 7800 arcade adaptions

are worth getting.

John

I got it! :D time to play, hell I think I'll have fun just hooking it up ;)

the joysticks don't feel too bad right now, maybe after an hour or so of use I might not like em too much, but they seem like an early predecessor of the epyx 500xj red and black stick, or the wico ergo stick (which I still have two of :) ) which by no means ever bothered me, in fact I liked those sticks a lot. I would order a couple of new 2600 sticks if anything, and I know those for sure cramp my hands (good old atari thumb) but I would want them just for nostalgic value I think :) wouldn't want to wear the orange paint of the top of them anyhow. LOL

JOY.... game time :twisted:

Get the atari 7800 joypad. They are much like the NES pad. The 2600 joystick or a genesis controller will do fine but on some 7800 games you will need two fire buttons. And for that you can only use the 7800 joystick you have or the atari 7800 joypad.

Wow, buddy, I'm afraid you picked up some weak games.

1. POLE POSITION II-7800, Decent

2. SUPER HUEY-7800, Bad

3. KARATEKA-7800, Bad

4. ROBOTRON 2084-7800, Good if you like Robotron

5. CHOPLIFTER!-7800, Very weak

check out my site for in-depth games. The 7800 is my all time favorite system, so there are some gems available.

www.bigfishusa.com/7800

Cousin Vinnie

Quick question, Stein.. how is your unit for "snugness" in inserting games? I recently received 6 7800 games I bought from a guy and I swear I almost need a hammer to get any of them (all Atari and Absolute carts) to fit into the system and a crane to pull them back out. Carts in my 7800 all seem to fit incredibly snug compared to the 2600 & 5200.

Could be just my 7800 is very tight but was curious as to how snug the carts fit into your system.

Thanks!

Mendon

Vinnie some of those games you mention as being weak I enjoy a great deal ;) to me comparisons with modern day games to 8-bit games simply doesn't exist. I played these games when I was a kid, when they were new. The only games I consider as being ones I'd rather not have are ones that I never saw or played back in the day. Like the Matel carts I got... armor ambush, astro blast and space attack... to me those games will probly get put in a box and separated from my colection ;) But I do appreciate the link, I'll be checking that out later today (when I have more time) for sure :) thanks.

Mendon, I know what you're talking about, my system seems a little snug when putting carts in and taking them out, not as bad as you describe but a little. The actual atari 2600 carts fit the best, easy in and easy out... it's the others that are tight, makes me think that the specs on size and board thickness etc must have changed since the original days of 2600 cart prodcution? Combat, of all the carts, goes in with very little pressure and 'clicks' snuggly into place, beatiful, better than all the rest, it's a text label too.... almost has me beliving my theory ;)

oh and btw, I think I agree with the general consensus on 7800 sticks :D a bit uncomfortable....

Does anyone know if the red epyx stick (the one with two buttons) works with both buttons on a 7800?

I didn't know the black end lable Pole Position was rare. That's what mine is. Of course, most games have a white or silver end lable, si I gess so.

Great deal, I think I paid nearly $50 buying individual componants to get a working 7800.

I personally like the 7800 Joystics, The joypads are alright, but I prefer the sticks.

I second the 7800 joypads. Worth the money.

After I got a 7800, I bought a new pair of 7800 sticks, thinking they'd be great - how could Atari not have made an improvement after the 5200? Well, still had problems. I simply don't like the feel of the stick or the fire buttons. And for some reason, it can become painful to hold, where the 5200 isn't.

Fortunately, for many of the 7800's best games, you don't need a fire button - Ms. Pac-Man - or you only need one - Donkey Kong, Food Fight, Galaga - and can use your trusty 2600 controller. Those seem to be the 7800 games I play most often.

But as said, some need two fire buttons. That's where the pads come in.

Archived