IGNORED

Just bought my first retro system, an A7800

Stein

I didn't know the black end lable Pole Position was rare.  That's what mine is.  Of course, most games have a white or silver end lable, si I gess so.

Actually, it the 2600 Pole Position with the mispelled name on the end label that is rare. Not the 7800 one.

Mitch

how do you actually tell what carts are rare and which aren't?

It's all about production numbers. If over a million copies of a game were produced, then it's really common. If less than 10,000 copies of a game were produced, then it's super rare.

D'oh! Color me a jackass... :ponder:

LOL me too.... I have seen the rarity guide once or twice before (not realising it did exactly what I was looking for), I just wasn't sure how I was getting to it I guess, when you click the system link on the left the search comes up and I guess that threw me (simply click on Begin Search without modifying any of the default values.)

:ponder: doh... make me read? :P

well my Pole Position II cart sure isn't rare but I did get a rare(ish) Pole Position 2600 cart :) (Pole Positin)

funny how these games aren't nearly as fun on the emulators....

• 2 weeks later...
I hope when I take it out of the box and hook it up to play I don't feel like a 33 year old idiot  :D I bought it sure enough, maybe a little compulsive, but I've wanted one since they were new.

I know if I tell anyone else besides you guys I'll probably be commited to a mental institution, had to tell someone tho  :P  

Stein

Stein,

Congratulations on your first retro system! And you realize that by joining this site you are hereby now entering yourself into a mental institution. :P Welcome to the world of Atari gaming!

By the way, my first retro-system was a 7800 system with about 20 games too. I found it at a yard sale in 1997. That started the collecting/gaming frenzy that's been the last 6 years of my life! So, I suggest you be careful unless you want to end up with boxes and boxes of plastic in your attic 6 years from now. :D

Have fun with the Atari 7800. It was my first retro system as well. I got it with 80 games on Ebay. Cost me a pretty penny but given the number of hours that I have enjoyed using it (feel like a kid at a candy store again), it was worth it! :)

thanks guys, I'm definitely enjoying my 'new' system :) suddenly I'm an Ebay addict as well. I spend almost as much time cleaning and organizing things as I do playing the system :D

I've bought 5 NIB 7800 games and a handful of (my) 2600 golden oldies. I lost a NIB Activision Pressure Cooker auction and a NIB River Raid :( maybe someone here ended up with those, if you did, I'm very jelous ;) heh congrats tho...

will be buying a couple of new 7800 controllers next week, a lot of people don't like em and have reccomended the joypad, but I like em.

I wonder if most of the people who like the d-pads better grew up in the nintendo era (of d-pads) or the early atari era (of real joysticks). I would guess nentendo era?

Heard something funny on the news the other day, 30 years ago the index finger was commonly the most dexterous digit among human beings, but today the thumb is LOL well I wonder what caused that ;)

Archived