IGNORED

I finally got my stuff! :) (AvP & JagCD)

Certain

Today the Jag stuff I won on Ebay arrived. I just checked it briefly to ensure everything works and is in good condition. Here are my opinions so far:

# Alien vs Predator

Wow. That's all I can say. Everybody was so excited about this title, so I thought "Well, it has to be good". But that good?

The graphics are the best I have seen on the Jag so far (well, I haven't seen that much so far, so that might not mean too much), but what amazed me most right from the start was the sound. The music and effects are superb! I just played the first level shortly, but the scary atmosphere really caught me. Can't wait to have more time to spend with this beautiful title... :)

# JagCD

First I have a question: is it normal that when I press the "open"-button, the drive opens just a little and I have to open it all the way manually? I guess so. Well, the lid somehow has a cheap feeling to it.

Apart from that the drive is really nice. The design might be a little strange, but I like the way my "enhanced" Jag looks like.

VLM is very cool, now I know where Microsoft stole their idea for the current mediaplayer ;)

I have only played two CD games so far. I was eager to see Blue Lightning, which is one of my favourite Lynx games. So far it looked ok to me. The other one was Vid Grid, which seems to be a great game to play on parties ;)

Anyway, I don't regret my purchase! :D

# JagCD

First I have a question: is it normal that when I press the "open"-button, the drive opens just a little and I have to open it all the way manually? I guess so. Well, the lid somehow has a cheap feeling to it.

It's always like that. If it's any consolation I think it's crap too ;) (tho the tacky way the window is implemented irritates me more, tbh)

VLM is very cool, now I know where Microsoft stole their idea for the current mediaplayer ;)

Actually the Media Player vis looks more like it was stolen from the Winamp plugin Geiss, which looks like it nabbed some cool ideas from the VLM :)

I have only played two CD games so far. I was eager to see Blue Lightning, which is one of my favourite Lynx games. So far it looked ok to me. The other one was Vid Grid, which seems to be a great game to play on parties ;)

VidGrid is a very cool game, but not very easy to explain to people without them seeing it, in my experience. They're usually fairly impressed though, and the selection of audio tracks is also pretty reasonable :)

Anyway, I don't regret my purchase!  :D

We told you so ;)

My personal number-1 game to get next would be Battlemorph; I think you'll be really impressed. Then go for WTR, IS2 and Primal Rage :)

Stone

Today the Jag stuff I won on Ebay arrived. I just checked it briefly to ensure everything works and is in good condition. Here are my opinions so far:

# Alien vs Predator

Wow. That's all I can say. Everybody was so excited about this title, so I thought "Well, it has to be good". But that good?  

The graphics are the best I have seen on the Jag so far (well, I haven't seen that much so far, so that might not mean too much),  but  what amazed me most right from the start was the sound. The music and effects are superb! I just played the first level shortly, but the scary atmosphere really caught me. Can't wait to have more time to spend with this beautiful title... :)

# JagCD

Apart from that the drive is really nice. The design might be a little strange, but I like the way my "enhanced" Jag looks like.

Anyway, I don't regret my purchase!   :D

:thumbsup: AvP just plain kicks ass! This game is second to none and though it frightens sheet out of me, I play it quite a bit.

Mmmm Jag cd... :lust:

:thumbsup: AvP just plain kicks ass! This game is second to none and though it frightens sheet out of me, I play it quite a bit.

Yea, I bet it's pretty intense when you play it alone late at night! But that makes a great game I think ;)

My personal number-1 game to get next would be Battlemorph; I think you'll be really impressed. Then go for WTR, IS2 and Primal Rage :)Stone

Some of these games are pretty rare and expensive I guess, right? ;) That means I cannot afford them for a very long time :(

Maybe the next thing I will buy will be a memory track, but I think it's quite expensive, too. Can it store data from lots of different games, or only one?

We told you so ;)

You were so damn right! :D

Yea, I bet it's pretty intense when you play it alone late at night! But that makes a great game I think ;)

My personal number-1 game to get next would be Battlemorph; I think you'll be really impressed. Then go for WTR, IS2 and Primal Rage :)Stone

Some of these games are pretty rare and expensive I guess, right? ;) That means I cannot afford them for a very long time :(

Maybe the next thing I will buy will be a memory track, but I think it's quite expensive, too. Can it store data from lots of different games, or only one?

We told you so ;)

You were so damn right! :D

You definitely need the memory track to play games like "Battlemorph". It usually costs around $20 (and I believe there's one currently available for that price at the Goat Store).

Actually Certain you can get Iron Soldier 2 and World Tour Racing NIB for only 50 bux each from Songbird (If they're in stock) and I believe maybe other places such as B&C have them. BattleMorph is pretty common I believe as I got mine along with Highlander and Myst NIB on Ebay for about 30 bux!!! mind you that was about 3 or 4 months ago, but not hard to find. Primal rage on the other hand is more rare than the games mentioned above. I think PR is available new at an online store... I'm sorry can't remember at the moment the name but go to JI2 and search in the links above the forum you'll find all kinds of Jag sites. Occasionally PR will pop up on Ebay...

# Alien vs Predator

The graphics are the best I have seen on the Jag so far (well, I haven't seen that much so far, so that might not mean too much),  but  what amazed me most right from the start was the sound. The music and effects are superb! I just played the first level shortly, but the scary atmosphere really caught me. Can't wait to have more time to spend with this beautiful title... :)

Anyway, I don't regret my purchase!   :D

I'm with you Certain (and Saturn), AvP is the frickin' BOMB on this system. It is why I got hooked on the Jaguar. Damn, I gotta go play it now.....

Jason

Certain,

Luckily, there are some less expensive games that are worth buying. You could easily get many opinions from the fine folks here.

I'd throw my favs in, since you didn't ask... :roll:

IS2, yes, but why not get the original Iron Soldier first? It's a fun game as well (especially with a few cheats enabled...heh) and it's an easy one to get on the cheap off eBay. There's one at $3.99 right now, in fact.

I won't blather too many, but the early classics are good and easy to come by, like Tempest 2k or Doom or Wolf3d. I still get a kick out of Wolf.

I don't hear a lot of people mention these two games, but I've always been fond of Pinball Fantasies (it has lived in my Jag cart hole for months at a time...there right now, in fact) and Val D'Isere Skiing and Snowboarding.

And, of course, there are plenty of sites that have reviews that are far more coherent than me. :D

Just tryin' to help...

AvP with the lights out and surround sound system cranked is a video gaming experience rivaled by very few - on any platform.

You gotta mess around with the controller with the VLM - don't just pop a CD in and watch it. I always wondered why they didn't program in ctlr moves that go with the music, if you leave the ctlr idle. Not even putting the VLM in random mode is as effective.

Anybody ever use the CD+G feature? Supposedly audio tracks with lyrics could be used as karaoke?

Thanks for all the great recommendations! :)

After getting a memory track, I think my decision what to buy next will be based on what I can get cheap on Ebay.

@Atari Smeghead: Wolfenstein, Doom and IS1 where my first games I got for the Jag ;), along with Cybermorph and Dragon, but I definetly think about getting Tempest 2k and Pinball Fantasies (or is Ruinier Pinball the better choice?). I am not sure about Val D'Isere Skiing though, for I am not so much into sport games ;)

Archived