IGNORED

Applying an old Cartridge Sticker back to the cart

Denicio

In my short time in this forum i have learned there is no question too odd or geeky...that someone here does not have THE perfect answer for. So here goes.

I got a copy of Dreadnaught Factor off ebay. When the game arrived the Cartridge Sticker had come off due to it being an old game.

The cart and the label are both in really good shape and it would be a shame to not reapply it. Using super glue seems a bit much like taking a sledge hammer to a fly.

What have you Intelli-nerds done to reapply old cartridge labels? Any particular glue and method better than the next?

I'm always afraid glue will leave a mess, particularly around the edges. Even though you can wipe off excess, usually leaves some kind of mark or stain. Either on the label or in the corners of the cartridge, whatever. Besides that, have to worry about glue leeching through the label over time, causing spots or "actiplaque".

These days, I find it easier and nicer looking to simply use double-sided tape to re-affix a label to a cartridge. Cut to fit of course, center, press on and done!

• Like 1

I'm always afraid glue will leave a mess, particularly around the edges. Even though you can wipe off excess, usually leaves some kind of mark or stain. Either on the label or in the corners of the cartridge, whatever. Besides that, have to worry about glue leeching through the label over time, causing spots or "actiplaque".

These days, I find it easier and nicer looking to simply use double-sided tape to re-affix a label to a cartridge. Cut to fit of course, center, press on and done!

I think it all depends on the glue, with a kids safe glue stick and a steady hand, it just like putting on deodorant... Easy and with no issue.. lol

Ive had none of that with the label or shell on the ones I've glued back .. Just a nice light coat does the trick... lol

But to each their own.. :)

Edited by m-crew
  • Like 1

I've received games with sloppy rubber cement jobs. It cleans up ok, but I'd recommend applying thin smsand precise.

I've actually used double sided tape for Activision label reattachment. I very carefully laid down a layer row by row onto the cart and used a dull knife to press it down firmly and remove bubbles (I used a scraping motion, if that makes sense). It seems to be holding up nicely.

The pic mcrew posted is the same exact kind I use, Elmer's 'Washable SchoolGlue Stick - Disappearing Purple'.

I apply it to the actual cartridge as well as the label.. Slide the label in place, wipe the excess off and let it sit overnight. I've done about a dozen cart labels over the past couple years and they've been holding up just fine. I wouldn't chance rubber cement and especially not double sided tape, since you only have one chance to get it right.. Otherwise you risk destroying the label. Glue stick FTW. ;)

• Like 1

Double sided tape if you don't get it right the first time, simply peel the label from the cartridge and re-affix after you've centered it. If your eyesight and coordination are okay - should only take one try. The tape does NOT have to perfectly fill the width or height of the label of course.

The pic mcrew posted is the same exact kind I use, Elmer's 'Washable SchoolGlue Stick - Disappearing Purple'.

I apply it to the actual cartridge as well as the label.. Slide the label in place, wipe the excess off and let it sit overnight. I've done about a dozen cart labels over the past couple years and they've been holding up just fine. I wouldn't chance rubber cement and especially not double sided tape, since you only have one chance to get it right.. Otherwise you risk destroying the label. Glue stick FTW. ;)

I agree, when the double sided tape dries out over the years, it will end up doing the same to the label as it does when you try to remove tape on the boxes. With this glue if it does come off .. Reapply on label once more..

But like mentioned before .. What ever you are happy with is all that counts.. glue double tape nails tacks what ever .. lol

3m makes a glue for reattaching emblems to cars. So made for multiple surface types.

It works great and you hardly need any and dries very quick and doesn't seem to soak into the paper whatsoever.

Some auto parts places have it.

Edited by stupus

This is all great info.

I know of the 3M spray but man that stuff is aggressive and FINAL! Kinda sticky too.

I never put much stock in the stick glue because it seems like its just for school projects and seemingly 'temporary' but it will now be my 1st try since some of you are having great success with it.

Thanks Ya'll,

D