IGNORED

Save System on Towers II?

Jagosaurus

How is the save system on Towers II structured?

For example, are there set areas to save at? Can you save anywhere?

If you can save anywhere, does the game truly boot you exactly where you left off with the same items, health, etc... or just put you back at a check point?

I'm a big RPG fan, but with limited time these days, the save system can make all the difference. Being able to play for an hour and not lose any progress is great versus a marathon session between saves or saving with some caveat.

Everything you want to know about saving is in the manual on page 9 and page 10.

Thanks! Good start.

On the minimal save (because I'd obviously be powering the Jag down), does it keep your exact location (in addition to remembering open doors, etc) or start you over at the beginning of that Tower level/floor upon boot?

I'd like to get the game, does it come recommended? I didn't realise it was a sought after title!

If you're gonna snag it, don't go for any of the 4 "RARE" posts on eBay, Songbird still has it in stock cheaper. = )

I haven't played it yet, have a copy on the way though, to me it reminds me of the earlier PC-DOS RPGs, I know it won't be anything like Daggerfall, but graphically it reminds me of it. = )

• Like 1

It saves everything, stuff, location, so you can start again at the very moment and exact spot you left the game.

It's great that way. Before a battle save, then fight. If you loose load the game and try again.

Great for progress, and add that with Saturn's walk-through (a thread here) and you'll be fighting the star gazer in no time! Naaahhh...

• Like 2

If you're gonna snag it, don't go for any of the 4 "RARE" posts on eBay, Songbird still has it in stock cheaper. = )

I haven't played it yet, have a copy on the way though, to me it reminds me of the earlier PC-DOS RPGs, I know it won't be anything like Daggerfall, but graphically it reminds me of it. = )

It's alright, I've seen a copy somewhere else :P but thanks for letting me know :)

It saves everything, stuff, location, so you can start again at the very moment and exact spot you left the game.

It's great that way. Before a battle save, then fight. If you loose load the game and try again.

Great for progress, and add that with Saturn's walk-through (a thread here) and you'll be fighting the star gazer in no time! Naaahhh...

The manual says it saves everything when the console is left on, such as in the scenario you described: save before a battle, die, continue (never turning off Jaguar).

It then eludes to the fact the cartridge only save (after turn console off) doesn't include some items saved when the console is left on.

Sounds like when you turn off the console some individual monsters may respawn but not entire groups. Also, it doesn't mention the map for cart save, but I've got to think that saves even after turning off the console. Can anyone confirm that?

Of course I'll be turning off the console, as mentioned I'll be playing in burst for about an hour versus marathon sessions.

Also, any estimate to how long it takes to beat? No info submitted on HLTB:

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10576

Here's a quote from an Interview with the developer concerning the saves:

"4) How big is the save-game EEPROM?

The EEPROM is 128bytes. As long as the Jaguar is on, you get two full saves to RAM. Once you turn off the Jaguar, and turn it back on again then the cartridge save will recontruct the save game from the EEPROM. All inventory and stats, locked and unlocked doors, full and empty wands and quivers, groups of dead monsters, and automap recontruction; fit into the EEPROM. Don't ask me how I fit it all, i still don't know. :)"

The save is pretty complete even if you turn the console off. Back in the day when I played it over a period of a few days I barley remember any "losses" when I turned of the console to continue on another day.

Ever since I beat it, I wanted to give it another go with a different character and say rely more on magic or whatever but I don't know if I still have the patience and also the controls might feel a bit cumbersome today with switching back and forth movement/cursor. Don't know if I will ever go through it all again, even though I remember having lots of fun with it. Only dissapointed in the end because the game makes you think that it is deeper than it actually is and left me a tad dissapointed.

Awesome Peter. Thanks! Was that quote from a written interview? Have the link? Would be an interesting read.

So the manual was a perhaps tad ambiguous on purpose. Jaguar remains on, you keep all data. Jaguar turns off, you might see some small things lost. Further tested needed to verify fully so caveat put in manual.

I feel comfortable enough to use the cart save and not worry too much about losing any overly important data.

The whole interview is here:

http://jagudome.atari.me.uk/towerview2.html

I missed that interview in past. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Q. How big was Jag Towers II originally planned to be, and did you have to leave anything out?

A. Actually, when we designed Towers II for the Falcon, we designed it around the Jag's specs, as we knew them at the time. Like 2 Megs of RAM, 16 bit color, stereo sound, etc... So if we decided -- or could -- port it to the Jag, we would minimize problems. It worked! When we converted it to the Jag, we added stuff because we had more room available than we thought.

So, from this it would seem the game runs in 16-bit color, but having watched YT playthroughs, I just don't see the textures being 16-bit. Perhaps it's artistic direction.But, if it really runs at 16-bit, then it explains the low framerate.

Q. What's the best/worst/average frame rate?

A. Approximately 12FPS. In between the speed of AvP and Doom for the Jaguar. There are a couple of slow downs but, they are very minor, and only in a couple of areas.

So, they're taking at least 5 vblanks per frame (60/12=5). Very Interesting.

How many enemies are there on average per floor ? Does the game happen to seem get slightly faster once you kill all monsters on the floor (right before going to next floor) ? I'm asking since this is a CRPG, so it's processing AI of each and every monster all the time. And while they might have implemented LOD on AI, it looks like there aren't more than, say, 50-100 enemies per floor ? E.g., jag could just brute-force through it (e.g. spend one vblank just on AI and be done with it).

Anyone played it extensively recently ?

If I recall correctly some enemies would come back to life and the map would only be partially filled in. I think normal items would also reappear, but I could be remembering that wrong. I could never figure out which enemies would come back. I would clear out every monster on the level and then one or two would come back to life.

I think it is a pretty fun game. I replayed it a few years ago and even did my own walkthrough for it. Just take the time to roll some good stats.