IGNORED

Any fans of NES Marble Madness?

mbd30

• 9 months later...

I've been playing Marble Madness pretty obsessively lately. The other night I got over 174k without help from wands. This was the best I've done without any random assist. I love this game.

All you have to do is hit the 5k off ramp bonus on the first stage, have 99 seconds at the ultimate race, and complete the game with 77 seconds left on the clock.

I would like to be able to consistently break the black marble quickly on the second stage because that's another 1k, but I usually can't do it.

• Like 1

How do you break the marble? Just keep smashing it? I usually just ran past as fast as I could for extra time bonus.

Here's someone's video showing how it is done. You quickly move to the top of that downward ramp and bump into the black marble, or the marble bumps into you. Whatever, I haven't been able to do it most of the time. Obviously it's only worth doing if you can do it fast enough.

Here's a 179k run with a black marble break.

im in awe- i suck at Marble Madness, lol

To get this score I beat the game without dying with 76 seconds left on the clock after getting lucky with wands. If I could have been a second faster I would have had 178k. But it's hard to perform flawlessly without choking on the last stage when you get there with so many points.

• Like 1

I remember renting this game from a local convenience store back in 88-89 or so. Thought it was weird but pretty cool.

Now that I've played the arcade game with a trackball -- both on original hardware and my MAME cabinet -- I just can't get into the idea of an 8-direction d-pad. The trackball is just such a cool controller, and there aren't that many games that use it. This one was made for it. I picked up a copy of the NES cartridge about 5-6 years ago and I think I might have played it once... not because it's bad, but because I have a far better way of playing it. Great music.

I remember renting this game from a local convenience store back in 88-89 or so. Thought it was weird but pretty cool.

Now that I've played the arcade game with a trackball -- both on original hardware and my MAME cabinet -- I just can't get into the idea of an 8-direction d-pad. The trackball is just such a cool controller, and there aren't that many games that use it. This one was made for it. I picked up a copy of the NES cartridge about 5-6 years ago and I think I might have played it once... not because it's bad, but because I have a far better way of playing it. Great music.

I understand preferring trackball if that is what you're used to, but it also plays perfectly fine with a NES pad.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. IMO, the trackball is just as crucial to Marble Madness as analog dial/spinner controls are to games like Arkanoid, Break Out, and Kaboom.

I dunno, man. I can routinely beat the NES port without dying and with high scores, so the trackball isn't too crucial. But I've spent hours mastering that version. I've never played the original arcade.

• Like 1