IGNORED

Opinion on DooM & Wolfenstein

Certain

Being a great fan of the PC versions of Wolfenstein 3D and DooM, there was no doubt I had to get these two titles for the Jaguar. In fact these were two of my first four games I purchased on Ebay.

I really like the games, and I am sure they are two of the best games for the system. In comparison to the PC version, however, my feelings for the Jag versions are quite ambivalent.

My first thing that stroke me about both games:

I consider myself quite a good player on PC, but playing on Jag made me realize: wow, I really suck playing with a joypad! Maybe I will eventually get used to it, but I think especially strafing is pretty hard. I don't have a Pro Controller, but I think when I get one I will at least be better strafing in AvP, because if I understand correctly, you can use the "shoulder buttons" to do so. Why wasn't that implemented in DooM or Wolfenstein?

What I think about both games in detail:

Wolfenstein 3D

The graphics are wonderful, far better than on PC. Additonally, I am so greatful that id-software decided to implement the automap! :)

The greatest disadvantage in my opinion: why can't I switch back to "older" weapons as soon as I get newer ones? I usually like to use the machine gun, because the chaingun is just oversized for smaller enemies (for it eats ammo like popcorn). I just don't get it why they left this feature out of this version, especially because there is so much unused space/buttons on the overlay.

DooM

All in all this is a great version of the game, but I don't really understand why it hasn't a "real" save feature. They did it for Wolfenstein, why not for DooM? The lack of ingame-music is also a little disappointing.

Ok, just my two cents. Don't get me wrong, I love the games, but it's normal to be critical with other versions of your favourite games, right? ;)

Now I would like to hear what you think about it!

:|

what i think of it? you just made an review. theres not really much to think of it.

but you could be an very good reviewer :D

right to the point.

best regards,

dragonforce

Believe it or not, I still have never played Doom or Wolfenstein on a PC. My first and only experience with them has been on the Jag.

I like 'em both. Both very good games.

What I prefer about Wolfenstein is the environments are brighter - Doom can be too dark and hard to see - and I find more satisfaction in killing Nazis rather than some random monster.

As for no music during Doom - I don't mind it's absence. If the in-game music would be anything like the music on the intro screen, the lack of music is a blessing!

Well, Wolfenstien was awesome. Especially considering I played both the originals, you know, the one with smooth scrolling, but still looked sucky, and the earlier one that jerked and moved quiet a ways forward or turning. The one on Jaguar looks brighter, and it moves a hell of a lot faster. I don't know about weapons. I never switched on there, since they seemed to be just faster firing versions of the same thing: Could be wrong though.

Doom, I hear you on straifing. If it had utilized the Pro controller, it would have been so awesome. As it is though, it's impossible to continually straif around a characture while shooting it. Of course it does increase the dificulty of the game slightly. I don't miss the music during the stages but then again, the PC version I had didn't have music during stages either, maybe there was two versions of the original doom also?

Shotgun, gotta love it.

Over all, i love the Jag versions of these games. Wolfenstien is simply a better version of the game. And for some reason, I just never could stand using a keypad and trackball for FPS games. :

are you talkin about cycling through your weapons? as i recall you can cycle through them and choose which to fire - or are you talkin about something else :)

Afaik, as soon as I got the chaingun in Wolfenstein, I can't cycle through the first four weapons (knife,gun,machine gun, chaingun), but I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong ;)

I have them both and to be honest I couldn't be bothered to play them much. I hardly touched Doom but I did play Wolfenstein 3D for some days. But I didn't knew (and still don't) how the save function works :S. Anyway, I use the ammo cheat :P. I just play it if I want to shoot off some nazi's!

I have them both and to be honest I couldn't be bothered to play them much. I hardly touched Doom but I did play Wolfenstein 3D for some days. But I didn't knew (and still don't) how the save function works :S. Anyway, I use the ammo cheat :P. I just play it if I want to shoot off some nazi's!

In the game hit 1, 2, or 3 to save in one of the save slots. On the game intro menu you can navigate between the save slots and load one.

You can save at any point. I don't recall if it actually tells you the game was saved. I do know that is how it works.

If I remember correctly... when you load the game it starts you at the beginning of the level you saved in. I think it saves the level you are on, your health, weapons, ammo, and it may even save enemies but I am not sure. I could be wrong but I think that is how it worked.

Basically on Wolfenstein, you cannot carry two weapons that shoot the same ammo. The Pistol, Minigun and Chaingun all shoot the same ammo, so if you have a pistol, and pick up a minigun, you loose the pistol, if you pick up a chaingun, you loose the minigun. That's what they're refering to. You can still cycle to other types of weapons, like your RPG, you just can't use earler versions of the same weapon.

I believe to save in wolfenstein, you pause it and hit one two or three, I think it says it saved, but I'll have to go play it to find out. I'll tellyou later.

As for Doom, it saves automatically after each level. Once you've beaten all the levels, you can go back and play any level, but there's no midstage save or anything.

i never got wolfenstein 3d or doom on the PC, and i didnt get wolfenstein on the Jag, so the only version i have experiance with is the Jaguar version of Doom.

my oppinion? i like it lots! nothing like rounding a corner or opening a door just to have a cacodemon jump at you. i read somewhere that they left out 2 types of bad guys on the jaguar version that were on the original version. is this true? EGM said they left out the "cyberdemon" and the "arachnotron"

Personally, i think Doom is more fun than a lot of the newer games out there, cause its not so concerned with 'bells and whistles'.

oh yeah, cant forget to mention the Sound effects! the splattering noises on this game are the best i've ever heard end of question.

I wasn't aware there were any less monsters on the Jag doom than the PC Doom. I've heard that also.

I've also heard that the Jag doom has less levels than the PC doom. Well, I wen't back and played my PC version, and it has 23 levels and the 24'th one that you get to through level four, same as Jag.

What's with that?

I wasn't aware there were any less monsters on the Jag doom than the PC Doom.  I've heard that also.

Kung Fu Guy is right, the cyberdemon (huge bipedal mechanoid thing with rocket launchers for arms) and the arachnotron (boss from the second episode on the PC, HUGE spider-robot with a Gatling gun) aren't in JagDoom.

I've also heard that the Jag doom has less levels than the PC doom.  Well, I wen't back and played my PC version, and it has 23 levels and the 24'th one that you get to through level four, same as Jag.  

What's with that?

There's the same number of levels, but they have bits snipped out of them to make the WAD file smaller. I seem to recall hearing that it's impossible to get 100% secret in one area because they removed access to an area with a secret in it ;)

Remember, the original Doom WAD file is around 13MB, and the Jag version is about 3MB. Quite a bit had to go.

Stone

I have noticed that Jagdoom plays smoother in some respects than the Playstation version.

Play JagDoom for awhile then jump to the Playstation version and you will probably notice that the elevators going up and down and the projectiles have this 'jerky' quality to them. Although after about 10 or 15 minutes you no longer notice it.

Also the Playstation version has this 'warping' effect on the left hand side of the screen when you get close to a wall on that side that the Jag does not. :P

I have both games for the Jag but I have only really played Wolfenstein and I enjoyed it more than the PC version. The automap was great. I was able to get the game saves to work although I think it only saves the level that you are on with the amount of ammo for your weapons and your health.

Kung Fu Guy is right, the cyberdemon (huge bipedal mechanoid thing with rocket launchers for arms) and the arachnotron (boss from the second episode on the PC, HUGE spider-robot with a Gatling gun) aren't in JagDoom.

Stone

Man, I'm going to have to go back and play that again. I wasn't aware they had bosses at all, maybe my love for dukenukem was falsely founded :

Archived