IGNORED

The Odyssey 2 / Videopac Brotherhood!

ScottyDont00

On 2/20/2017 at 11:08 AM, ScottyDont00 said:

1.) Love our system and games!

Check. Question: are we required to love all the games? ;)

2.) Post a reply to this thread and tell us all at least one of the following:

a.) How you got your system?

It was a long time ago - late 1990s or early 200s, so I'm not certain. Possibly eBay, or via a newsgroup. I do recall being surprised by it, because it's got an A/V mod. I recently came across some really old emails asking someone to help me figure out how to tone down the volume on it, as it seems too loud and sometimes distorts.

b.) Your favorite memory of the system or games?

One of my best friends at school had one. We had a lot of fun with UFO and a few other games, but ... this is going to sound horrifying ... we had so much fun opening up the system and dragging a screwdriver across the solder side of the motherboard to see what happened on the screen. Yeah. But hey, we could still go play more UFO after that got old! :D

c.) The weirdest thing you have typed into "Type and Tell" to make The Voice say?

redacted

3.) Consider joining the Videopac / Odyssey 2 Forum here: http://videopac.nl/forum/

- If you need help fixing a system or want to be in the know on everything related to our systems the forum linked above is great source of information and is only dedicated to our systems.

Considered. Awaiting a response. Joined!

4.) If you are already a member of the Videopac /Odyssey 2 forum include your user name for that forum in your post if different from your AA username. I will add them both to your spot on the list below.

My intent is to use the same handle there. Same user handle.

• 1 year later...

I had never really thought about getting an Odyssyey 2, but then this popped up for $35 and I couldn't say no (I paid $35 for the console and $15 for all the games). The game boxes look like they just came from the store shelves and are awesome. The system was faily clean, but the controller cables had... something all over them. Nothing a half dozen Clorox wipes and some patience couldn't clean off. I've put a bid on Quest for the Rings because I love the idea of the hybrid games.

Planning to do a composite mod, recap, and add controller ports to replace the hardwired controllers.

Odyssey2.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been on both of these forums (same username on both) for a bit now, it's probably time to tell a story or two. Here goes:

It was one of the systems in my parents' basement since I could remember.  Technically it was my parents', so *my* first system I bought in college off eBay. $25, shipped with a voice module.  No one in my dorm ever heard of this system, but they quickly became fans of it and the it and the 72-In-1 Multicart!  All of a sudden, I was playing games I never had before...there were now turtles that sing songs, the looniest of balloons, and physics-defying volleyball matches.

There was the time that I beat the long-standing Attack of the Timelord high score my older brother held by adopting the strategy of staying in level two and keep picking off the red balls. My brother told on me to mom and got me grounded because I was playing the game wrong.

There was that time that I beat my cousin in Basketball! 156-0 (the score would flip to 0 from 99, so 56-0 I suppose). He recently reminded me about this and that he's not angry about it anymore...he says.

But I gotta go with a month ago. I brought to a family gathering a prototype version of the game I was programming. My niece played *my* unreleased game on my parents' O2 for over two hours. Afterwards, she said "I'd pay a dollar for that if you had it on Steam."

c.) The weirdest thing you have typed into "Type and Tell" to make The Voice say?

Oh my! As a highschooler (at the time) that still would fire up the old O2, lots of stuff that I can't remember not would be appropriate to post here if I did. Somehow making the Odyssey swear (which it would always mispronounce) was hilarious to my friends.

Okay, all that might be more than you wanted to know.

• 3 months later...

I started collecting for the Odyssey 2 almost three years ago. I love collecting vintage gaming systems and computers from the 70’s and early 80’s. I got my boxed O2 at a local retro gaming store. I immediately loved the system and have the complete collection of the original games. Look forward to start collecting and supporting the new homebrew games and be part of this O2 brotherhood!.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I should have seen this thread a long time ago but missed it somehow. I am videopac, have used that handle a long, long time and it kind of gives a hint of what my favourite system might be... ?

So, let's start:

1.) Love our system and games!

Sure thing! I do fancy the European variants more though, especially the Jopac consoles.

2.) Post a reply to this thread and tell us all at least one of the following:

Ah, once upon a time... this was a long time ago when we had a nation wide small ads magazine in Sweden, called "Gula tidingen". There you could find ads on everything, listed in categories. The ads were from regular people, not companies. Used stuff. I used to look through the "old computers" and "old video games" sections every week and found a lot of fun stuff to buy. One day I saw an ad for Videopac stuff, the guy asked for a few hundred dollars (well, in Swedish currency of course) and I though to myself that this was one of the group of people who wants to get almost the same amount as they gave for the stuff 10-20 years prior. But, curious as I am, I called the guy and asked what he had. A lot of games, he said, - ok how many, I asked. About two pallets, he said! Woooot?! I'll buy it, where do I send the money? So I paid him and drove there the following weekend with a trailer to the car. When I got there he had "trimmed" the stuff down to just one pallet (haha) but I was happy anyway. Guess he wanted to have some stuff left.

Anyway, this was stuff in original shipping boxes, the guy had got the task of emptying a storage and take the Videopac stuff to the city dump... he, of course, put it in his barn instead ? Good for him, great for me! A lot of chess units (packed four to a shipping box) and lots of games (five to each small shipping box and a lot of the small boxes in bigger boxes). That was the find of all times, for me!

I think that prior to this I got a complete set-up of a G7000 and all games except the three last ones (58-60) in one go from a former Philips employee. When they discontinued the Videopac system the employees got to pick one of each game for free to take home. He had done that but no one had used the system and the games were *new*. He sold that package real cheap. After getting this set-up I was hooked! 

Since I didn't have this system as a kid I really don't have any childhood memories of it. But I do remember when I got hold of an Odyssey 3, that was a real high! So that is probably the best memory I have of the system. Unfortunately I did sell my O3 many years ago... have not forgiven myself until this day!

Ouch, I have never had the Voice... 

3.) Consider joining the Videopac / Odyssey 2 Forum here: http://videopac.nl/forum/

I already am a member there.

4.) If you are already a member of the Videopac /Odyssey 2 forum include your user name for that forum in your post if different from your AA username. I will add them both to your spot on the list below.

Na, videopac is my handle there as well!

5.) Add the following to your signature box once your username is added to the list below: Official Wizard of the Odyssey 2 / Videopac Brotherhood!

Ok, hope to remember this!