IGNORED

128 k required games

masschamber

Enjoy your 130XE. Yeah, not much took advantage of the 'extra' memory. The fact is, 8-bits were designed around the 64K limit. Mostly the old mags covered the extra memory as a RAM Disk (simulated drive) that was volatile (lost at power down). Other than that, not much use. With that said, I have a 256K Rambo XL which, while cool, really never has lived up to the RAM hype. In fact, I upgraded my XEGS to 128K. I was bored, but rarely take advantage of it. In fact, I am on record for questioning the usefulness of 4 Meg 8-bits. Why? Boredom and cool factor, I guess. I have given up on modding all together. Not much reason to do so. . Even the 'horrible' video output that everyone tries to upgrade, I say, "why"? Leave it be. Leave it original. It is an 8-bit. The video is good enough for the amount of time the average 8-bitter plays with their computer. Upgrade, ba-humbug!

The only real use I've found for the extra memory (I have a Rambo in my 1200XL) is for playing files versions of later cartridge games like Commando. I think there were one or two games that could have their load times sped up if extra memory was available (Bop n Wrestle)

128KB must-have games (file versions of rom games excluded): Alien 8, Amaurote 128, Bosconian, Crownland, Deflektor, Internationaal Karate Enhanced Edition, Laura.

Afaik, Deflektor is available as a ROM (prototype), Laura is also available as a ROM, both ROMs/carts work fine with 64k RAM. There are various 64k versions of Int. Karate (without the London scenery however) and Amaurote and Amaurote+ do also work with 64k (Amaurote128 has some additional b/w pics and an intro, thats all)...

Yes it is ;) . But there are far better games out there, which does not need the extra ram.

Hmmm, I would say there are far OLDER games out there, which do not need the extra RAM, but do have (more or less) the same gameplay e.g.: http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-400-800-xl-xe-shoot-em-up-artillery_genre_106_8_G.html

But these games do not have the great gfx of T-34. Mirage released "Tank vs. Tank" which also has the same gameplay as T-34 but with much simpler gfx (and therefore works on 64k machines)... http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-tank-vs-tank_5263.html

Afaik, Deflektor is available as a ROM (prototype), Laura is also available as a ROM, both ROMs/carts work fine with 64k RAM. There are various 64k versions of Int. Karate (without the London scenery however) and Amaurote and Amaurote+ do also work with 64k (Amaurote128 has some additional b/w pics and an intro, thats all)...

I don't think Laura ROM has been released and unfortunately cart is sold out; perhaps an English version will be released eventually.