IGNORED

HSC14 Round 4: The Rally Speedway HSC Grand Prix

Post #3 above has the HSC GP Standings

I've just highlighted the best times for each track for now. I've done this manually (you can tell?!) :-o If anyone has/finds/creates a suitable time based spreadsheet please send it to me; you will of course get some bonus points for this :)

p.s. we'll see how NTSC times compare too (when we have some)

• Like 1

Post #3 above has the HSC GP Standings

I've just highlighted the best times for each track for now. I've done this manually (you can tell?!) :-o If anyone has/finds/creates a suitable time based spreadsheet please send it to me; you will of course get some bonus points for this :)

p.s. we'll see how NTSC times compare too (when we have some)

What about a Google Sheet... We could enter our times ?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xfxFl67mOYFjWb5Xcu4fENb4sMTpv2-bTkWMn9_99M/edit?usp=sharing

We could work out a formula between that could highlight 1st, 2nd and 3rd on each track.

[google sheet] So anyone can just update their own times, ok that's helpful but there must be a time based multi race table out there... search time !

Improvements from the evening session:

1*- 1:08:4

2 - 1:16:8

3 - 0:14:6 same time!

4 - 0:58:1

5 - 0:36:4

6 - 0:32:2

7 - 0:32:4

8 - 0:37:9

9 - 0:44:7

10 - 1:11:7

11 - 0:06:1 - anyone wanting a quick go pick out some of the short circuits!

12*- 1:30:1 - which sicko designed this one?!!

13 - 1:11:0 - this is a very nice circuit :thumbsup:

14 - 1:02:3

15 - 0:50:4

16 - 0:33:5

17 - 0:28:9

*check direction after crashing on these circuits

• Like 1

I take back any criticism of the 1 player game, all it was lacking was some decent courses and some other people's times to compare to; and now we have both :thumbsup: Most times with a dab on the brakes on the corners you can complete each track without crashing :)

Afternoon Session!

Taking a few laps to improve now, hopefully will be starting to give RT a challenge ;)

1*- 1:05:0

2 - 1:15:3

3 - 0:14:6

4 - 0:57:6

5 - 0:36:4

6 - 0:32:2

8 - 0:34:3 - another nice simpler circuit

9 - 0:44:7

10 - 1:02:7

11 - 0:06:1 - anyone wanting a quick go pick out some of the short circuits!

12*- 1:30:1 - which sicko designed this one?!!

13 - 1:04:3 - this is a very nice circuit :thumbsup:

14 - 1:02:3

15 - 0:48:4

17 - 0:28:9

Post #3 has the latest HSC GP Standings

• Like 1

My lap times so far:

Track 1: 1:10:0

Track 2: 1:21:0

Track 3: 0:16:0

Track 4: 0:59:6

Track 5: 0:36:1

Track 6: 0:34:3

Track 7: 0:31:1

Track 8: 0:32:4

Track 9: 0:43:0

Track 10: 1:02:2

Track 11: 0:05:1

Track 12: 1:35:3

Track 13: 1:11:2

Track 14: 1:00:2

Track 15: 0:52:9

Track 16: 0:33:4

Track 17: 0:27:9

Bonus Ice Trucker: 0:28:5 (heavy on the brakes here!)

Btw, in the summary post on page 1 you have listed times as M:SS:0T which makes ít look like hundreds of a second. You probably want to edit all times to the M:SS:T format.

Edited by carlsson

Track 1: 1:13:1

post-9712-0-88137100-1489112207_thumb.png

Track 3: 0:18:4

post-9712-0-68946100-1489112215_thumb.png

Track 5: 0:45:4

post-9712-0-03084500-1489113824_thumb.png

Track 6: 0:42:5

post-9712-0-06214600-1489114135_thumb.png

Track 11: 0:06:0

post-9712-0-05459400-1489112831_thumb.png

I'm trying to get into it, but I'm having difficulty. I'll keep playing and try to post times for all the tracks, but I'm not sure how competitive I'll be in this one. :(

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 1

Is this only available in ATR? I don't think I can play ATRs.

The file version/XEX of the original game can be downloaded from fandal; the two in-built tracks are part of the selection we are using (tracks 2 and track 4 just to make things confusing!). Let's see if we can help with the ATR - what setup are you using?

Btw, in the summary post on page 1 you have listed times as M:SS:0T which makes ít look like hundreds of a second. You probably want to edit all times to the M:SS:T format.

I noticed this too, i'll have a look at the spreadsheets format options ;)

I'm trying to get into it, but I'm having difficulty. I'll keep playing and try to post times for all the tracks, but I'm not sure how competitive I'll be in this one. :(

Start on the more open / straighter Tracks 11 and 8 are good - I thought the same at first but the more I've played the more I've enjoyed the game. Look at "Make Trax" before racing to see what is coming up (press start to exit). Dabbing the breaks before every corner and spotting the pre-corner road change is key.

I'm interested in your NTSC times to see if the game is balanced (or we can add in the "fiddle factor"!) - emulator users might try PAL if things are faster of course :thumbsup: @CC are you on PAL or NTSC?

I've squashed things down a bit HSC GP Standings, now where did all my top times go?! I'm blaming you carlsson :twisted:

• Like 1

I realized sometimes it pays off to cut corners, i.e. drive across the grass if there are no obstacles there. Usually you lose speed going outisde the track, but you would lose speed braking in the corners as well.

Captain Classic listed his times as M:SS.T with a dot instead of a colon to separate the last part. It seems to have survived better in the summary, so perhaps we all should try to list times in that format to not get that extra zero? Not that it really matters for the standings, it just looks silly if every lap record was set within the first 9 hundreds of a new second.

As for XEX versions, I suppose the original game would need to be hacked into at least 9 different games, each containing two preloaded courses and you would have to load the respective XEX games. While I'm fairly well versed in machine code, I've never looked into hacking Atari games like this.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Excel (my old ver) will format the cells as HH:MM:S but when I create a PRN for pasting here it reverets to HH:MM:SS (I know we are using tenths!) I can't recreate what I did with CC's times (copy/ paste / edit) so these will be in the same format as the others next update. We'll live with this :)

I've been thinking about the scoring for this round and maybe using fractions for each race and improvement

e.g.

All actual HSC points

Each Race 0.3pts (so if you played all 18 that's 6pts)

Each Improvement place 0.2pts - might need to limit/reduce this depending on # of players to keep top player's max score should be between 12 and 24 points)

1pt for most wins overall

Will run something through later :ponder:

I believe you can define custom cell formats in Excel. I ran a live tournament in Micro Hexagon last month and prepared OpenOffice to use a format M:SS.T everywhere. I don't know what it'd export to though. But it is no biggie.

I wonder about the extra bits of tracks on the inside of the Indy 500. Is that supposed to be pit stop, disabled from the main track?

The file version/XEX of the original game can be downloaded from fandal; the two in-built tracks are part of the selection we are using (tracks 2 and track 4 just to make things confusing!). Let's see if we can help with the ATR - what setup are you using?

I have the ultimate sd cart.

Track maintenance guys - crashing on left bends on Trax 14 restarted me on the vertical straight on the far right of the map - I guess the little guy was flung so far left that he crossed over 2 spaces?!

today's improvements
1*- 1:04:1

2 - 1:15:3

3 - 0:14:0

4 - 0:57:2

5 - 0:35:7

6 - 0:30:6

8 - 0:32:6 - another nice simpler circuit

9 - 0:42:0

10 - 0:55:8

11 - 0:05:0 - anyone wanting a quick go pick out some of the short circuits!

12*- 1:19:5 - which sicko designed this one?!!

13 - 1:04:3 - this is a very nice circuit :thumbsup:

14*- 0:56:9

15 - 0:48:4

17 - 0:27:8

18 - 0:32:5 - Ice Road Trucker Challenge (see 1st post for settings)

Post #3 has the latest HSC GP Standings

p.s. have cracked the time format/export issue (will appear next update), next to work on some scoring automation :-o

p.p.s. have mailed one of the SD Cart experts about the ATRs - meanwhile you can still play the 2 tracks from the XEX/file version :)

p.p.s. have mailed one of the SD Cart experts about the ATRs - meanwhile you can still play the 2 tracks from the XEX/file version :)

confirmed - you would need an SIO device for ATR support.

So the two tracks from the XEX can be played and it's emulation for the others, sorry.

Ok I've been crunching the numbers and we have some proper HSC scoring in place, these are real HSC points so maximum is 20. Remember the "Ice Trucker Challenge" counts as Track 18 (it's Trax #17 with ICY FAST 100MPH). Will start the round 5 Poll tomorrow :)

HSC Points

For each race: 1pt for Win, 0.9pts for 2nd, 0.8pts 3rd... down to 0.1pt for 10th and below. Plus 1pt for highest score (#included), then, plus 1pt for most wins ($included).

HSC GP Standings

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 1