IGNORED

What do you like about the Atari Jaguar?

Skippy B. Coyote

Brutal sports got me into this overlooked cart system, and I now have more than 40 games and some hardware stuff. Why? To have a good reason to quote with you guys, who actually are the coolest community I have yet stumble upon. Jaguar also looks cool, feels cool and plays somewhat cool. Only wish it had a handfull of more awesome games, but the "homebrewers"/late-publishers fix that error as we speak.

Why is the Jaguar cool? Well, it's named Jaguar. There is a mystique from the start.

It's a nifty gimmick. I think the hardware is cool, and weird and crazy as others have said. And the neat spin is they are so flawed, that finding the fire in the gem is half the fun.

It's also rare and weird and notorious. I've always thought of it as the DeLorean of video game consoles.

Not perfect, but amazing, and having unique characteristics that separate it from anything else.

Also the game library is small enough so that the dev story behind each title can be known and appreciated. That makes all the carts glow on the shelf.

Also it's weird, super weird, to even the off-kilter world of the retro game community. I had a guest over who is a star in one of the world-class retro video-game cover-bands... a rockstar in the gaming music world... and he'd never played Tempest 2000, or anything Jaguar, before. We had a blast. Rare moments!

I think I got my Jag right after the JagCD went on sale (got both at the same time) and have been building up my collection ever since! Unfortunately along the way have lost a few of the excellent games I had to re-buy (Ultra Vortek and Primal Rage (which I still would like to get, but not at the 500 bucks it's been selling for...)

Brutal sports got me into this overlooked cart system, and I now have more than 40 games and some hardware stuff. Why? To have a good reason to quote with you guys, who actually are the coolest community I have yet stumble upon. Jaguar also looks cool, feels cool and plays somewhat cool. Only wish it had a handfull of more awesome games, but the "homebrewers"/late-publishers fix that error as we speak.

REALLY!???!!!!

You know... I absolutely respect the individual. And damn... I absolutely mean no disrespect by this. But... I used to think everyone was dumb because I like the Pontiac Fiero. But now I hear there's someone who likes the Atari Jaguar... BECAUSE of Brutal Sports Football?

It's like you just told me that the only thing you like at Disney World, is the overflow parking lot and the long lines.

I'm truly baffled!!!!

Again, to each their own. If everyone was like me... Atari Jaguar and Pontiac Fieros would rule the world... and Miami Vice would still be on the air. But it's by the grace of God that everyone isn't like me, because America, and the world... ... God help them.

Anyway... Brutal Sports Football... wow.

I was expecting maybe Defender 2000, the version of Wolf 3D, or even iWar...

What's wrong with BSF? It's not a showcase for the Jaguar, but most folks find it's a fun, decent game.

I know... again, not trying to offend anyone.

It was just a game that my old roommate used to like too, and I just couldn't get it. I worked for the NFL, so it's not like I don't like football... but man, everything about the game just drove me nuts.

For me it ended up being the embodiment of my irrational psychological attachment to a specific era in gaming. There was that magic hour right before the Sony Playstation, Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64 hit where there were all these companies doing crazy things. It actually probably extended a bit into the life of those consoles as well. But it seemed more like the future was wide open and everything was more experimental and exciting. Everything seems more rote now. Microsoft and Sony will come out with a new thing that looks a bit better than the one they had before and then Nintendo will do some wacky crap and stick Mario and Zelda on it. Until we die.

The Jaguar was the only non-standard console I had at the time (which I define as anything besides the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis) so it gets to occupy that spot in my mind. I similarly associate things like Neo Geo and 3DO with that 'gaming future of the past' type sentiment, but those things were out of my family's price range so I don't really have any particular attachment to them.

Edited by flux
  • Like 4