IGNORED

Should I sell my Hi-Def NES and NESRGB for Analog Nt Mini?

not even close to being on par. You're limited to like 300MB of storage, and interfacing with it is goofy. If you're picking it up strictly for modding to go the emulation route, those other options you listed are better.

Well yeah of course. I would have easily said "PC" as well. It's all emulation. The inherent advantages/disadvantages of each individual platform is another story. :)

Yeah man..at least for the RPi3, if i'm not mistaken HDMI is its default output.

You can talk about video outputs and inherent specifics all day.. point is when it comes to playing something like NES, they're (PC, 3DS, Xbox, Wii, Rpi, NES Classic, PSP, etc.) all software emulation at the end of the day, while something like the NT mini is not. That's it! :lol:

I was told the only reason people want these expensive systems is so they can get crt quality on newer TV's.

That's apt. And people sometimes don't even know that's why they're doing it.

It isn't so much the final display output that causes problems and complaints, but more so the interface technology and the effects it has when a mismatch happens. If you're on a matrix display, you want to have an interface that can command a single pixel on demand.

---

In the video, that corrupted scanline that pops up from time to time? That's completely unacceptable.

Edited by Keatah

No.

If you want an authentic NES with HDMI, get the AVS. If you absolutely need to spend more money, I'll send you my PayPal info and you can forward me the difference.

The AVS is equally as fake as the NT Mini.

His hi-def NES is his best option for his needs if authenticity holds any value.

I only use a framemeister for recording HD video, but sofakng should keep his if he plans on playing any other classic consoles.

Yes, but the AVS is a good $200 cheaper and offers more features. The Nt Mini doesn't really have anything to justify its price tag, beyond being a status symbol and looking like a Mac Mini that was used as Michael Moore's stepladder.

• Like 1

I'd go with the AVS, but how does it offer more features?

I'd say that's one thing that the Analogue NT Mini definitely has going for it, which is why they'll have fans of this hobby willing to pay such a premium for it compared to the much more economical RetroUSB AVS.

Edited by Atariboy

Yes, but the AVS is a good $200 cheaper and offers more features. The Nt Mini doesn't really have anything to justify its price tag, beyond being a status symbol and looking like a Mac Mini that was used as Michael Moore's stepladder.

I'd never pay $450 just for a gussied-up NES. However, once you factor in the dozen or so additional cores Kevtris has released (plus more on the way), it becomes a much more compelling proposition.

Edited by Laner

I'd go with the AVS, but how does it offer more features?

I'd say that's one thing that the Analogue NT Mini definitely has going for it, which is why they'll have fans of this hobby willing to pay such a premium for it compared to the much more economical RetroUSB AVS.

AVS has online scoreboards and built in GG support, plus the extra spite mode. I'm not aware of those features on the NT, though admittedly I haven't kept up with every detail. Edited by godslabrat

I don't know about online scoreboards, but I'm all but certain that I saw the latter two on Digital Foundry's video the other day. It has lots of other features too such as what was mentioned in the post after mine, SD rom loading, 1080p output, etc.

There is no reason reason to pay for the NT when the AVS exists. Plus the hi-def nes is capable of firmware updates and the scaling issues will likely be fixed in the future.

Everyone has their opinion, but I'm curious what scaling issue are you referring

Edited by Thomas83Lin

The AVS is equally as fake as the NT Mini.

His hi-def NES is his best option for his needs if authenticity holds any value.

I only use a framemeister for recording HD video, but sofakng should keep his if he plans on playing any other classic consoles.

The Hi-Def NES is almost as fake as the AVS and Nt Mini by that standard at least what people want it for, and the NESRGB is only slightly less fake than the Hi-Def NES. If you want genuine higher quality NES video output than composite video, you need a Sharp Famicom TV, Sharp Famicom Titler or a 2C03 PPU-modded NES.

There is no reason reason to pay for the NT when the AVS exists. Plus the hi-def nes is capable of firmware updates and the scaling issues will likely be fixed in the future.

Reasons why some people may be willing to pay for an Nt Mini :

1080p 5x

Core Store

Built-in Flash cart

Edited by Great Hierophant

The NT mini also has GG support and supports 16 sprites per scanline. It also supports more games than the AVS for NES and supports 10 other consoles, on top of way more scaling options and analog video. The only thing the avs has over the NT mini is the scoreboard

• Like 1

Plus the hi-def nes is capable of firmware updates and the scaling issues will likely be fixed in the future.

Doubtful. The FPGA on the hi-def nes is 99% full, kevtris said only very trivial fixes could be done at this point. Scaling is staying as-is.

Edited by rezb1t

Sigh...

So let me get this straight using something like a mini or pi or whatever is undesirable because it is emulation. Then we flip and say the best part is the fact it can do sd roms LOL.

You guys crack me up.

what in the world are you smoking? I have a Pi setup, and nothing against emulation. SD rom loading is this thing's best feature. Using physical media with something that doesn't need physical media to operate is the crazy bit.

godslabrat in post 37 was talking about features of the AVS and NT

atariboy in post 38 directly replies to what was in post 37 and adds in SD rom loading.

then keepdreaming in post 39 says SD rom loading is the main feature.

One would assume based on the previous post keepdreaming is referring to either the AVS or NT utilizing SD rom loading as it's best feature?

Did I miss something here, is that not what was being expressed?

edit: to make it clear what I was saying.

I added in some bolded, since I know little of the two please educate me on which if any does sd rom loading or do neither?

Sigh...

So let me get this straight using something like a mini or pi or whatever is undesirable because it is emulation. Then we flip and say the best part OF THE AVS or NT is the fact it can do sd roms LOL.

You guys crack me up.