IGNORED

BBS dial out Catch-All thread

Opry99er

That was an earlier BETA version of TIMXT, remember? You'll want the latest version for sure.

This is what I have with the most recent version I could find...

IMG 0551

Locks up hard when a key is pressed... RS-232 and modem work with Zterm80.
Edited by aftyde

If I recall Zterm80 required a special cable. TIMXT does not. I have seen it lock up when you have a cable pinout wiring wrong after pressing a key. I have experienced it myself.

If I recall I wired up it standard just like the cable referenced on Stuarts site:

RS-232 Card Lantronix
25-way D-type Female 25-way D-type Female
Pin Pin
2 (RD-1) ------<<----- (RX out) 3
3 (TX-1) ------>>----- (TX in) 2
5 (CTS-1) ----->>----- (RTS in) 4
7 (GND) -------------- (GND) 7
20 (DTR-1) ----<<----- (CTS out) 5
Edited by Shift838

Is that the TI RS232 standard or the HDX modded card?

Works with either. that is the wiring for RS232/1. HDX works on RS232/2

I have used this wiring on both. Recenlty i pulled my standard RS232 and put my HDX in as I wanted to easily backup my SCSI system.

the HDX will be going in to my 99/4A-PEB-All-In-1 system shortly.

Edited by Shift838

You posted something in another thread as well http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259886-timxt-with-nanopeb-version-1/#entry3731997 so I'll reply here with a few additional thoughts.

You said Mass Transfer doesn't work either? That leads me to believe something is amiss with your HDX RS232, perhaps the DSR needs to be reloaded.

TIMXT isn't getting quite far enough to initialize the RS232. It seems to be getting stuck in the middle of its screen setup. The top line should be white on blue and those garbled characters should not be visible. (They are part of the character table, a necessary compromise for 30-line mode).

Question for you folks...

I set Telco to connect at 9600 BAUD and it failed... I went down incrementally and each time it failed. I attempted 2400 BAUD and it seemed to catch Hidden Reef for a second, but then froze up.

Apparently for whatever reason, I can only connect at 1200 BAUD. Any ideas?

By the way, I completed my first successful upload to The Hidden Reef from my TI tonight using Telco (XModem CRC).

I simply cannot praise TELCO enough for its interface and intuitive design... Just marvelous... And that chime... :)

It chimes at me when I make a successful connection and when I complete an upload or download. :D

• Like 1

I'd like to know where to get the latest copies of TELCO and TIMXT?

I did re-load the DSR and that got me back, as far as HDX was concerned. I'll experiment with the cable - as suggested earlier.

Even after a fresh DSR reload - I still get the visible garbage at the bottom of the screen. So perhaps I don't have the latest version?!?

Very frustrating...

You posted something in another thread as well http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259886-timxt-with-nanopeb-version-1/#entry3731997 so I'll reply here with a few additional thoughts.

You said Mass Transfer doesn't work either? That leads me to believe something is amiss with your HDX RS232, perhaps the DSR needs to be reloaded.

TIMXT isn't getting quite far enough to initialize the RS232. It seems to be getting stuck in the middle of its screen setup. The top line should be white on blue and those garbled characters should not be visible. (They are part of the character table, a necessary compromise for 30-line mode).

Looking for the non-FlashROM 99 version... I have tried the version there and still get the lines of trash characters at the bottom of the screen. Here is what I have tried...

Zterm80 works.

Re-loaded DSR for HDX (after trashing it)

Mass Transfer dials and connects - no data...

Trashed version of TIMXT now dials and connects, no data... (tried at a bunch of baud rates)

Zterm80 works...

Feels like I am really close...

Modem is a Creative Labs v.92 modem with a 9 pin F RS-232 connector on the back. Is there a specific modem pinout map I should be using? Anyone have a diagram of the DB25 (off the TI Y cable) to a DB9M - I can always haul out the soldering iron and make a custom cable?!?

Thanks everyone!

That's the one I am running...

What cards and system setup are you running? And what is your F18A revision?

Send me the three files that you are trying to run on the TI, but they need to be whatever you transferred, whether they are in your HDX folder or on the real iron. I will then try running them on my system. FYI, I do not have the FR99.

Here is the TIMXT I am working with - and the F18A is at V1.5. (which may be an issue - but I can't seem to find the in-console update dsk image).

Stock console and PEB.

RS-232 has HDX hardware mod - which seems to be working well, DSR 3.0.

Running software off DSK1.

What cards and system setup are you running? And what is your F18A revision?

Send me the three files that you are trying to run on the TI, but they need to be whatever you transferred, whether they are in your HDX folder or on the real iron. I will then try running them on my system. FYI, I do not have the FR99.

TIMXT.zip

Here is the TIMXT I am working with - and the F18A is at V1.5. (which may be an issue - but I can't seem to find the in-console update dsk image).

Stock console and PEB.

you can get the update files from the Code Hack Create page

HERE

Stock console and PEB.

Yep, that is one piece of the puzzle. TIMXT requires F18A v1.6 or above to display color text and mask the bottom rows properly. For the other piece, you said that with Mass Transfer and TIMXT, you are able to dial out but do not receive anything. Do you see what you are typing, in the terminal, before connecting?

The F18A update disk image is on Matthew's site. Within the provided ZIP file is a 400k disk image, so may need to use TIDIR or TIMT to transfer the files to a different size image if you are using something other than the CF/nanopeb. The files are also available on Heatwave BBS as a downloadable archive, and at least one other person has used the files to successfully update their system.

Stock console and PEB.

Yes, like InsaneMultitasker said you will need to update your F18A... HOWEVER... since you are running an HDX equipped RS-232 you will also need to enable your interrupt line on the card after updating the DSR. Using any telecommunication program like Telco or TIMXT without the interrupt enabled will result in nothing coming in.

The ZIP file contains a much earlier version of TIMXT. You need to download a later copy from the other thread or you can download it from Heatwave. Look for the nanopeb version, as that will work with a standard RS232 and nanopeb serial port.

since you are running an HDX equipped RS-232 you will also need to enable your interrupt line on the card after updating the DSR. Using any telecommunication program like Telco or TIMXT without the interrupt enabled will result in nothing coming in.

Good point. Although I am confused on how he was able to dial out, unless that was done blindly with no command echo.

Hi All,

OK - upgraded the F18A - no issues. Now running 1.8. Still trying to connect to heatwave with no luck. I can connect using Zterm80 - but the fonts look like crap and are barely readable. When I use TIMXT it will connect, I can talk to the modem, everything seems normal except there is no data exchanged on connect. It's the weirdest damn thing. Here is the result of AT&V from the modem...

IMG 0552

Perhaps there is some AT init string someone can recommend? I have checked Zterm80 and it doesn't appear to issue any AT commands on init - and the interrupt line is definitely jumpered / enabled.
I have tried everything except cutting off the end of the damn cable and soldering on a DB9M - and even if I wanted to I can't find a dependable pinout.
Cheers, Arthur...
  • Like 1

So to be really clear... after the CONNECT 38400, 9600, 4800, whatever... calling the Hidden Reef (or any other BBS) it just sit there until I hit +++ and enter ATH. I can talk to the modem all day long... I can enter AT&V and get a dump of all the settings. I'd suspect the modem didn't work if it wasn't for Zterm, when I connect to the Hidden Reef it immediately shows the login message. Using TIMXT - nothing... just sits there until I hang up, or the connection on the far end hangs up on me.

Been doing modems since 1980 and this completely stumps me... :/

Currently trying all combinations of bits and parity... why? out of ideas?!? :(

HUGELY INTERESTING DISCOVERY THOUGH!!!

If I start randomly tapping the keys then the letters for the Hidden Reef start coming through one at a time. I think the software isn't handling the interrupts properly. The moment I stop randomly tapping keys the text stops...

Edited by aftyde

Where do I have the pizza delivered? :) That solved the problem!

From the modem command dump, I see you have hardware handshaking ENABLED. You might try disabling it with "AT&K0", since none of the programs in question actually support hardware handshaking in the usual sense. If that doesn't help, please post your cable configuration for review.