IGNORED

BBS dial out Catch-All thread

Opry99er

RS-232 Card with HDX and TI Y Splitter cable (2 DB25F) to Hayes Compatible external modem. Wiring diagram. Due to conflicting info out on the internet I haven't labelled the signal lines. However, this appears to be a correct cable. If you have a modem program that is able to use hardware flow control - like Zterm80, it works... If you are using Telco, Mass Transfer or many others that ignore hardware flow control you need to disable it on the modem by adding &K0 to your init string.

Yep - the diagram is to wire pin x on the DB9 M to pin y on the DB25 M connector for RS-232/1 on the TI splitter cable. Is this any better?

ti99modem

Sorry, I'm not understanding the wiring from the diagram or I am misreading it. Could you share a few more details on what is depicted?

That's a very unique configuration. I'm guessing the splitter is wired in a different manner, as the pinouts listed would not allow you to send AND receive with RS232/1 given a 'normal' TI connection. Hard to know for sure without understanding the splitter cable. You should not need more than 5-7 connections, fewer depending on the handshaking requirements. Certainly connecting pin 6(db9) to 8 different pins has potential to be a "bad thing."

I completely agree - this evening I opted to just cut the ends off the cable and start from scratch. I would call BBS and sometimes the connection would just stop... Now, I am in Manila Philippines calling from a 35 year old computer, 25 year old modem on a MagicJack with a US VOIP number - all powered by a big Chinese 220 to 110 converter of dubious integrity... what could possibly go wrong?

However, I wanted to investigate if the slow typing, lost characters, long pauses in the connection had anything to do with the cable.

I started with fresh DB25 to DB9 connectors and wired the basics; TXD, RXD and GND straight through using Fred's excellent RS-232 diagram.

ti99_rs232_splitter_cables.gif

Just the three lines had me talking to the modem. I then connected the other RTS, CTS and DTR lines and tested the cable. I experienced the exact same problem as before. With &K3 (the modem default) only ZTERM would allow a connection to the Hidden Reef, the Keep, or any other BBS (and interestingly, the HS light on the modem was lit using ZTERM but not when using the others regardless of speed).

TIMXT and others - no bueno. After setting &K0 it all worked. (at the same crappy MagicJack quality) I should have tested this with just the three lines... ugh! Anyway...

I would say that if you are going to enhance TIMXT further than a modem init string option is almost certainly required.

Will revise and update my graphic after a bit more testing...

That's a very unique configuration. I'm guessing the splitter is wired in a different manner, as the pinouts listed would not allow you to send AND receive with RS232/1 given a 'normal' TI connection. Hard to know for sure without understanding the splitter cable. You should not need more than 5-7 connections, fewer depending on the handshaking requirements. Certainly connecting pin 6(db9) to 8 different pins has potential to be a "bad thing."

Sounds like a good approach. My goal with the TIMXT update was to keep the number of rs232 connections to a minimum, leveraging the enhanced interrupt routine and F18A to eliminate the need for handshaking. I have been looking at the routines I wrote for my geneve terminal emulator to determine what, if anything, can be recycled into TIMXT. There is just so much that needs to be changed, it is like writing an all-new program, something I don't have time for right now. So I'll keep making incremental updates as I can...

Keep us posted on your cable findings. :)

• Like 1

Is there any known advantage to using a CorComp RS-232 card? Sane pinouts - more complete set of signals or better documentation perhaps???

The documentation was uploaded by Schmitzi about a year ago << HERE >>.

I don't know of any advantages, only one disadvantage... no HDX capability, but that's not an issue if you plan to run it as a second card.

• Like 2

Okay... guy came out yesterday and got us a dial tone in the jack downstairs. Yay!

But it would not (for some reason) translate to a DSL line. I was able to dial out to The Keep, but not able to get internet on my modem.

Fast forward to today. I had to pay for yet ANOTHER service technician to come out. This time, the guy cared about the job and cut out all the old wires and rewired the whole system from scratch.

All is good... but the 3 service calls are going to be expensive. And the Wi-Fi signal coming from the basement is atrocious.

I will need to get a router to pick up on WiFi and allow me to tie in with ethernet... that way I can bring the modem back upstairs. My wife is not happy when her Pandora stops to buffer.....

How in the world did you set it up in the first place? You can Google for the user manual it'll tell you what the default settings are.

I upgraded to an 802.11ac router over the winter. What are you running?

I called Frontier, they came out, hooked up the internet with Wi-Fi. I connected all my devices. There is no password on my Wi-Fi because we live a mile from anyone.

It Is a basic Frontier wireless modem/router combo. That's about all I know.

I know nothing about Wi-Fi. How does one log in?

Usually, just logging into 192.168.0.1 (your routers HTML interface) is where you can change the routers settings. If it's the first time you've done this, the preset or default ID and/or password should be attached to the bottom of the router.

In the case of a WiFi bridge, the good ones are super easy to setup.. just press the WPS button and you are good to go.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to get connected to some dial-up BBS's and I'm having a problem. I'm not using a TI, but I think the problem is generic enough that you might be able to help. My system is an Atari 800XL with an SX212 1200 baud modem. My phone service is thru a Magicjack Go. I've been able to send faxes from my MF printer with the Magicjack, so expected to not have problems at a measly 1200 baud modem. I'm able to dial up and connect to the various BBS's I've tried, The Keep, Cottonwood and Hidden Reef. But I have the same problem with all of them. I get a lot of random characters displayed on the screen intermixed with the messages being sent from the BBS. I've tried different terminal modes, but no change. What's strange is that even while sitting at an input prompt, I get random characters showing up on the screen when I'm not typing anything. Has anyone experienced this before?

I'm trying to get connected to some dial-up BBS's and I'm having a problem. I'm not using a TI, but I think the problem is generic enough that you might be able to help. My system is an Atari 800XL with an SX212 1200 baud modem. My phone service is thru a Magicjack Go. I've been able to send faxes from my MF printer with the Magicjack, so expected to not have problems at a measly 1200 baud modem. I'm able to dial up and connect to the various BBS's I've tried, The Keep, Cottonwood and Hidden Reef. But I have the same problem with all of them. I get a lot of random characters displayed on the screen intermixed with the messages being sent from the BBS. I've tried different terminal modes, but no change. What's strange is that even while sitting at an input prompt, I get random characters showing up on the screen when I'm not typing anything. Has anyone experienced this before?

yes, it's called line noise/codec errors.. try 300 baud.. that's the fastest I could get tragic jack to work in my experiments.

faxes are not modem communication, they are bursts of data with error checking like a file transfer protocol so they are more resilliant and also will step back baud rates until it gets a clear message..

If you get a proper voip provider like 8x8 (if they are still around) and or a sip interface with phone carrier then you may be able to do better. I use Fronteir FIOS at 38400 without issues..

Greg