IGNORED

screwing with pirates

what I want to do is separate them into 2 different code batches. 1 to protect any games I make or upload to this site

2. to unlock it if needed. (I trust those I give the password to will not spread it over the internet)

currently in alpha stage

Ever heard of Google search? If someone downloads the ROM, lookup of the password is easy. Plus inputting a passcode is super annoying to anyone who wants to jump in playing the game...

Oh, I thought the 1994 date was when Commodore went bankcrupt, and the C64 had been discontinued at least two years prior to that.

And José, what's worse than having your Atari infected by ransomware would be if it was infected with Commodore ransomware, right?

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Oh, I thought the 1994 date was when Commodore went bankcrupt, and the C64 had been discontinued at least two years prior to that.

i took the dates from Wikipedia (everybody's favourite, almost accurate source of knowledge) but my own, admittedly wonky memory says we were still getting Terminator 2 packs from Commodore UK right up until the fecal matter impacted with the air conditioning so 1994 sounded right.

• Like 1

Remember "Paperweight"? It was an A.N.A.L.O.G. April Fools type-in program that simulated an Atari 8-bit computer getting "destroyed" and ended with realistic looking TV 'snow' that wouldn't go away even if you pressed Reset.

Imagine that with a ransomware interface :D

Edited by zzip
  • Like 3

If I were encrypting something I'd be a complete and total b*stard and borrow a theory I read about on the ST.

Sync to the VSYNC and use the raster scan position as part of the key. Let's see what happens when you freeze that :)

Well, if you freeze it after it's de-crypted, then well, defeated.

So... since there was a demand, we now have WannaClone for the Atari 8-bit! Ta to Jose and Miker for all of the work they put in and Carlsson for the joke i nicked from this thread for the scrolling message. =-) Sorry the source code hasn't been converted to the 32X yet...

post-3086-0-17207500-1497993426.png

The dates are, again, taken from Wikipedia and the "magic number" changed; the C64 version is set to $6A and the Atari 8-bit, appropriately, uses $A8.

• Like 4

how would I encrypt for the apple II or BBC micro?

The process is the same for any system, think of a reversible way to mangle the data and write an encoder and decoder. In the case of WannaClone it's using what is essentially a slightly hacky pseudo random number generator and simple EORing against a fixed 256 byte block of data from the music, but anything else like the ROM is valid as long as it's a constant.

I see from Pouët that joke productions taken out of context are difficult to understand, and rather are rated as if they were seriously meant than not rated at all...

i try not to worry about what Pouet as a whole thinks either way; the voting system has bugger all nuance to it, there's copious amounts of name or platform voting sometimes purely based on the screenshot and people from Platform A don't always understand the technical aspects of Platform B so score releases based on their "artistic merit" and that isn't always relevant especially with 8-bit demos.

Conventional wisdom says that would actually be an upgrade. But yeah I know there is some unconventional wisdom out there too. ;)

I'd never see SID as an upgrade from POKEY, as SID has too much flaws. But for music, it still plays more in tune without any strain.

I also doubt, after 40 years, there will be any useful POKEY tracker for music creation without strain.

I also doubt, after 40 years, there will be any useful POKEY tracker for music creation without strain.

Well, you've spent an absolute age telling people how it should be done, but music drivers are usually written by musicians who want somethine specific and this is the programming section of the forum after all... there's over eleven hundred characters in your last two posts so that's about seventy lines of source code you could've written by now!

• Like 2

Well, you've spent an absolute age telling people how it should be done, but music drivers are usually written by musicians who want somethine specific and this is the programming section of the forum after all... there's over eleven hundred characters in your last two posts so that's about seventy lines of source code you could've written by now!

Your, not so wise, words may impress people who don't have a look "behind". But, I'm pretty sure, you won't change your life the same, as I have enough to do with other things in my life ....

It also is a peace of cake to let some music running, while doing "life relevant things" and to change some parts here and there , to have a piece of music edited.

It also is no problem for coders to create software "by side" , when the routine is everyday's routine.

You know, how "civilisation" is working ? Then you may know the point.

Your, not so wise, words may impress people who don't have a look "behind". But, I'm pretty sure, you won't change your life the same, as I have enough to do with other things in my life ....

If it's not worth your time to program that easy to use music driver and editor then it isn't worth anyone else's time either. Stop arguing with me and you'll have time to write a little code, keep not arguing with people, ranting about large borders or complaining about the lack of that music utility you expect other people to make and there'll be enough time to write the thing yourself. It won't happen overnight because this stuff doesn't, but if you write it then the features will match your expectations and needs.

As for if my words are wise, i never claimed they were... but i don't expect anybody else to write programs for me whilst i post them.

I'd never see SID as an upgrade from POKEY, as SID has too much flaws. But for music, it still plays more in tune without any strain.

Okay, the SID has flaws. But POKEY does not? I mean, what doesn't have flaws? I'll admit I do not have a deep technical understanding of either chip and therefore cannot intelligently discuss the finer points of the inner workings of them and how it relates to music theory, sound effects, etc. But what I can speak to, is my own evaluations of what I have heard produced by the two chips. When I listen to the best of what each has to offer, I have to say that the SID wins fairly handily. That is not to say I don't like POKEY, or that I think SID is God's gift to 80s personal computing though. I couldn't afford to have more than one platform, and I only used Atari 8-bit computers in my own home. So I liked Atari best over-all. And for what it's worth, I still think Atari is the best of all the 8-bit offerings of the time. But I would be a dishonest fan boy if I said that I thought POKEY was better than SID.

Edited by fujidude
  • Like 1

Okay, the SID has flaws. But POKEY does not? I mean, what doesn't have flaws? I'll admit I do not have a deep technical understanding of either chip and therefore cannot intelligently discuss the finer points of the inner workings of them and how it relates to music theory, sound effects, etc. But what I can speak to, is my own evaluations of what I have heard produced by the two chips. When I listen to the best of what each has to offer, I have to say that the SID wins fairly handily. That is not to say I don't like POKEY, or that I think SID is God's gift to 80s personal computing though. I couldn't afford to have more than one platform, and I only used Atari 8-bit computers in my own home. So I liked Atari best over-all. And for what it's worth, I still think Atari is the best of all the 8-bit offerings of the time. But I would be a dishonest fan boy if I said that I thought POKEY was better than SID.

Pokey is harsher sounding and doesn't have the filters that SID has

BITD, I used to be so jealous of the music that SID plays. In the days before digital audio and synthesizers on a chip, SID sounded amazing.

But nowadays when I listen to both, SID sounds like a generic 'chiptune' soundchip while Pokey has a more unique sound. I suppose this is because many chips that came after SID sound similar to SID while nothing else quite sounds like pokey.

So today I prefer pokey, back then I preferred SID

• Like 2