IGNORED

How to watch Commodore Wars without Steam?

ACML

I'm waiting for the "ATARI: Easy to Learn, Hard to Master" video to be available to the public, In the meantime, I'd like to see the "Commodore Wars" movie, but can only see it available on Steam. I refuse to use the Steam service. Is there another way to legally watch this movie?

• Like 1

I said I was interested in seeing it, but at $19.95, that might just temper my enthusiasm a bit. A little steep I'd say. There are a lot of people like me who'd like to see it, but not so much so that we want to buy it for 20 bucks.

This movie is not blockbuster material. The "lot of people [..] who'd like to see it", are just speck of sand compared to the people who wants see, say Marvel movies.

The million which pay for a cinema viewing and buy the DVD, make that DVD cheap. I don't know prices in the US, but from the comments, I'd guess about 10$.

The 20$ probably cover barely the expanses AND these guys have to live of the rest.

Think of calculating the costs to make a living today of Atari 8bit games.

Edited by JoSch

I'm waiting for the "ATARI: Easy to Learn, Hard to Master" video to be available to the public, In the meantime, I'd like to see the "Commodore Wars" movie, but can only see it available on Steam. I refuse to use the Steam service. Is there another way to legally watch this movie?

If you're in rush and you want to avoid Steam and not punish authors for their poor choice you can just think differently about it:

- Watch it online, here for example: http://sockshare.net/watch/LxR9KpvO-8-bit-generation-the-commodore-wars.html(one of the cleaner sites. Only one commercial popped up for me).

- Send money to authors directly.

Second it says "Soon available on our website" so just wait...

ps. It's a great movie :)

• Like 1

Just watched it (thanks Popmilo), very interesting and insightful in to how some things happened. Nice to see there was some Atari love in there and a reasonably fair coverage of what was going on.

Loved the back story about the C64 Disk Drive, as a C64 owner you felt blighted by the drive because the turbo tape loaders were faster than the drive, now I know it was a version ages old for the Vic 20 and the creation by Woz of the 'others' drive it makes sense. Dolphin DOS in my case sorted the speed but there were loads (yeah I know) of fast loaders out there.

Paul.

• Like 1

Just watched The Commdore Wars. A bit long for what amount of material it provides but good to see they have accounts from the actual people that were there doing the work in many cases.

Atari barely gets a mention. TI gets attention mainly in the context of being on the receiving end of JT's revenge by means of the price war.

But still, a worthwhile production. Very thin on the ground with technical material.

• Like 1

For me the best part is about early decisions about business vs games machines. Think this was first time I heard so much about Pet and how important Europe was for Commodore in that regard. Interesting watch and well spent couple hours.

I agree with Rybags. It is an interesting documentary with some interesting facts, but it is a bit repetetive. Anyone noticed the image of Caverns of Mars with the Atari Software boxes that is shown for about 5 times or so during the Commodore parts of the documentary?

It is a well made movie, but somehow I have the feeling that it could have been so much more.

I thought it was really good. The fact Bill Herd was involved means it was pretty accurate too. It was slanted to Commodore coverage just as the title suggested - very good in my opinion.

If the DVD has extras I will certainly consider it. If it appears on Google play or Amazon I'll also consider it.

Lol re the Caverns of Mars image, I saw it and thought, "Oh time for an Atari segment" and it didn't happen, saw it again and thought it must be now and again nothing about Atari but thankfully there was a token amount, tbh I thought there would be none.

Nice to see a certain Kevin Savetz on the list of backers, well done Kevin, an all round supporter of retro stuff....Nice..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwPuuqTxV-I&feature=youtu.be

Best Vintage Game Console for Classic Arcade Games?

This is was pointed out in the Classic Computing forum - as a good cross comparison between Videogame consoles and computers that had games available in cart format - therefore it does not include those games available in tape/disk format.

Though you'd always think it's rather unfair to compare hardware that are many years apart - and the older hardware generally suffers in comparison.

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove

After reading the small print, I agree! If you accept their terms you give them the right to mine your computer for any and all data (including personal and financial) to sell or distribute as they see fit.

With or without your consent! And it's not just the PC you are using, but any PC in on your home network.

David