IGNORED

Cuttle Cart II Serial Connector Feedback Please

cschell

Hi Chad:

As you know I use my HP200 LX dos based palmtop with RS232 port to connect to Richard Hutchinson's VecRAM cart for the Vectrex. I use the palmtop built-in Terminal program to transfer Vectrex BINs over to the line to the console. Years ago I made a custom cable (which has a 1/8" stereo plug for TX, RX and GND) to connect my palmtop to a Kodak digital camera and now I use this same cable for this purpose.

Will the software to transfer to CCII be propriatory or will any Terminal program work? If propriatory software is required will it have to be WINDOZE?

If the CCII will work with my palmtop .. I'll be in 2600/7800 heaven!

No desktop .. no laptop .. only the most perfect computer will do .. The HP200LX palmtop!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Unless you're actually developing a new game, there is no reason to use the serial link. So you don't even need your palmtop.

Otherwise there is a non-proprietary serial protocol available. If you build a cable with DTR/CTS loopback you can even use the copy command in dos. This mode requires you to fill in info with the joystick to tell the cart how big the load will be and what bankswitching and startup code to use.

Otherwise you can construct a file with the above information built into it and then download it using whatever. I will provide C code as a sample for how to create this file. (It's trivial.)

Chad

Archived