IGNORED

The Knight Rider 2600 project

HardWork

• 1 month later...

Was it finally decided HardWork was a troll or just an idea man? Is it really possible to be so naive about licensing, 2600 coding and new classic hardware (his driving joystick) development? Even that 2600 RPG guy had some binaries to show, didn't he?

I think the basic concept of Spy Hunter + Kung Fu Master is doable. Although I like PAC-MAN-REDs latest side-scrolling sprites. Maybe changing the game to be a Moon Patrol clone would work too.

..Still think it should be called "Dirt Gherkin" :P

• Like 3

I think he's considered an idiot who set his goals a bit too high. It's funny the posters here put more effort in this than Hardwork ever did.

You mean it's not a good thing to post about making a licensed game on a ridiculously hard to program for system, complete with custom hardware and TV licensing when your only qualification is "knowing someone at Kinkos"? LMAO. Hey - I know someone who plays with Lego. I will announce my plans to build a replica Eiffel Tower :)

. . . when your only qualification is "knowing someone at Kinko's"?

Maybe he got a job there himself? Maybe all 3 members of Team Savage work there? With the combined power of Team Savage working in one place, there's no stopping them!

!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76aHMIZc_C0

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What say, all ye men? Will ye give as much Blood, as shall be needed to temper the steel?-Capt. Ahab So begins the task of Knight Rider 2600.

My goal, as the game's creator, is to legally extract all of the enjoyable bits of the KR tv show, and squeeze them onto a 4-8k Rom cart for the 2600. The drafts are finished, and now must be coded. (the fun part!) The game utilizes the 2600 TouchPad, with a plastic overlay that mocks the KITT instrument pod. The Pad rests in the center of a custom-molded joypad that mock's the KITT steering wheel, with a 4-way D-pad on the left handle, and the fire button on the right-fore handle. The finished Joypad feels very comfortable in the hands of the player, and the package as a whole should bring a smile to fans of the show The Joypad should also compliment other 2600 games, (Solaris, Enduro, Star Raiders, etc. ) and stretch the value of the estimated $50-$70 price tag. Ouch!, I know. The price may fall if licensing and production costs can be secured at a reasonable rate in batches of 1,000 or more. I don't intend to get rich from this project, but only to reward all of us KR geeks out there, whom wanted a KR2600 games 20 years ago, and have been patiently waiting for the game we always wanted. I will post drafts of the controller soon, and screen shots of the storyboards when legally permissive to do so. All feedback is welcome, this is a HUGE project, and should hopefully ship in time for the 2006 Classic Games Expo. Thanx, everyone. I look forward to your responses.

James "HardWork"

I love how it's almost 10 years later and STILL no one has made a KR 2600 game. :lol:

There WAS a KR game for the NES, which was decent....one of those 'fun in small batches' games.

It's also fun to see who is still active now from the old days.....:ponder:

I'd like to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not holding my breath. There are three problems with this idea that I can see

1. The idea of selling 1000s of these carts is completely unrealistic. Maybe 100-150 tops.

2. Licensing anything for purposes of creating a homebrew for obsolete hardware will never hapen unless the creator plans on taking a huge loss in revenue

On a related note....licencing DID happen from First Star Software for the recently released 2600 version of Boulder Dash. And I don't think that Thomas et all lost any money on the deal (although I doubt they made huge profits also.)

So, I suspose the OP had the right idea at the wrong time? ;)

I'd like to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not holding my breath. There are three problems with this idea that I can see

1. The idea of selling 1000s of these carts is completely unrealistic. Maybe 100-150 tops.

2. Licensing anything for purposes of creating a homebrew for obsolete hardware will never hapen unless the creator plans on taking a huge loss in revenue

On a related note....licencing DID happen from First Star Software for the recently released 2600 version of Boulder Dash. And I don't think that Thomas et all lost any money on the deal (although I doubt they made huge profits also.)

So, I suspose the OP had the right idea at the wrong time? ;)

Well, the licensing for BD may have happened, but the big difference is Thomas had done quite a bit of coding beforehand, and he didn't need any help from Kinkos :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know... I used to stay in contact with HardWork and this game was actually finished. But he decided to hold back because of the criticism in this thread. He said he would not sell to anyone who posted here and then I got on the "bad" list when I posted. Oops.

• Like 1

Ya know... I used to stay in contact with HardWork and this game was actually finished. But he decided to hold back because of the criticism in this thread. He said he would not sell to anyone who posted here and then I got on the "bad" list when I posted. Oops.

:) I'm sure it was. Did he also have some swamp land for sale in Arizona?

• 2 weeks later...

"Those people refuse to believe that I could make this game, so I'll prove them wrong by... making it, not releasing it, and letting them continue to think I couldn't make this game. That'll show them!"

Seems legit.

• Like 2

"Those people refuse to believe that I could make this game, so I'll prove them wrong by... making it, not releasing it, and letting them continue to think I couldn't make this game. That'll show them!"

Seems legit.

Well, it's quite possible he did absolutely nothing. If he did indeed finish a game, why not post a video on YouTube? What better way to "show them" that the did it but is not releasing it?

It's Latin, and correctly written "et al." (with the dot!)... the first word meaning "and" and the latter is an abbreviation of "alii", meaning "others". As it's an abbreviation, it has a dot after it.

I probably ended up earning about 3 cents per hour I actually worked on the game. In that respect, I lost a fortune in potential earnings if I'd been doing something else.

How do you really measure these things. The licensing is very much part of the haecceity of Boulder Dash®. It was never about money. If it was, then the game wouldn't exist.

Well, the licensing for BD may have happened, but the big difference is Thomas had done quite a bit of coding beforehand, and he didn't need any help from Kinkos :grin:

At the risk of sounding trite, Boulder Dash® was a joint project by Thomas and I. Let's not rewrite history.

At the risk of sounding trite, Boulder Dash® was a joint project by Thomas and I. Let's not rewrite history.

Apologies - I did not follow the entire story. I didn't mean to discredit anybody's work.