IGNORED

The Knight Rider 2600 project

HardWork

On a related note....licencing DID happen from First Star Software for the recently released 2600 version of Boulder Dash. And I don't think that Thomas et all lost any money on the deal (although I doubt they made huge profits also.)

It's Latin, and correctly written "et al." (with the dot!)... the first word meaning "and" and the latter is an abbreviation of "alii", meaning "others". As it's an abbreviation, it has a dot after it.

I probably ended up earning about 3 cents per hour I actually worked on the game. In that respect, I lost a fortune in potential earnings if I'd been doing something else.

How do you really measure these things. The licensing is very much part of the haecceity of Boulder Dash®. It was never about money. If it was, then the game wouldn't exist.

No offense intended. I was just saying that licencing was possible for something like this, and that you guys did things the right way. :)

On the other hand, it's not much of a fair comparison between an independant software producer vs. a modern multimedia conglomerate such as Universal. Glen Larson recently dragged the studio into court regarding syndicated profits of this program (among others that he produced)...so the odds of obtaining a license on the cheap are nil. Mio couldn't do it even before the suit. It may be impossible at this time for any amount either way because of the Larson case.

Ya know... I used to stay in contact with HardWork and this game was actually finished. But he decided to hold back because of the criticism in this thread. He said he would not sell to anyone who posted here and then I got on the "bad" list when I posted. Oops.

"Those people refuse to believe that I could make this game, so I'll prove them wrong by... making it, not releasing it, and letting them continue to think I couldn't make this game. That'll show them!"

Seems legit.

Well, it's quite possible he did absolutely nothing. If he did indeed finish a game, why not post a video on YouTube? What better way to "show them" that the did it but is not releasing it?

.. which is pretty much what I was trying to say. But sarcastically.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/seems-legit-sounds-legit

Ya know... I used to stay in contact with HardWork and this game was actually finished. But he decided to hold back because of the criticism in this thread. He said he would not sell to anyone who posted here and then I got on the "bad" list when I posted. Oops.

"Those people refuse to believe that I could make this game, so I'll prove them wrong by... making it, not releasing it, and letting them continue to think I couldn't make this game. That'll show them!"

Seems legit.

Well, it's quite possible he did absolutely nothing. If he did indeed finish a game, why not post a video on YouTube? What better way to "show them" that the did it but is not releasing it?

.. which is pretty much what I was trying to say. But sarcastically.

http://knowyourmeme....it-sounds-legit

Well, it's hard to tell some times unless /s is added. :)

• 4 months later...

What I find amusing is, that in the past few years since this thread was started, Batari Basic has become such a good development platform, a fairly decent game in the "Knight Rider" theme could be developed - even without "Hard Work" or "Team Savage"... Hooray!

Edited by almightytodd

I have two burning questions for the AA community:

1) Is Kinko's even still around? :ponder:

2) Why has no one actually made a homebrew game of this yet? We've been waiting for almost 10 years! :D

Welcome back to this glorious thread! It is becoming like Auld Lang Whatever and the late Dick Clark :) It would be fun to see a homebrew of it attempted.

• 1 month later...

I have two burning questions for the AA community:

1) Is Kinko's even still around? :ponder:

2) Why has no one actually made a homebrew game of this yet? We've been waiting for almost 10 years! :D

to answer your questions....

1) Not exactly sure

2) Why doesn't someone just rename the Night Driver rom file to Knight Rider and be done with this already? :twisted:

Shit, who tricked me and linked me to the Atari 2600 Forum? :?

• 3 months later...
What say, all ye men? Will ye give as much Blood, as shall be needed to temper the steel?-Capt. Ahab So begins the task of Knight Rider 2600.

My goal, as the game's creator, is to legally extract all of the enjoyable bits of the KR tv show, and squeeze them onto a 4-8k Rom cart for the 2600. The drafts are finished, and now must be coded. (the fun part!) The game utilizes the 2600 TouchPad, with a plastic overlay that mocks the KITT instrument pod. The Pad rests in the center of a custom-molded joypad that mock's the KITT steering wheel, with a 4-way D-pad on the left handle, and the fire button on the right-fore handle. The finished Joypad feels very comfortable in the hands of the player, and the package as a whole should bring a smile to fans of the show The Joypad should also compliment other 2600 games, (Solaris, Enduro, Star Raiders, etc. ) and stretch the value of the estimated $50-$70 price tag. Ouch!, I know. The price may fall if licensing and production costs can be secured at a reasonable rate in batches of 1,000 or more. I don't intend to get rich from this project, but only to reward all of us KR geeks out there, whom wanted a KR2600 games 20 years ago, and have been patiently waiting for the game we always wanted. I will post drafts of the controller soon, and screen shots of the storyboards when legally permissive to do so. All feedback is welcome, this is a HUGE project, and should hopefully ship in time for the 2006 Classic Games Expo. Thanx, everyone. I look forward to your responses.

James "HardWork"

It's hard to believe, but it's already been a DECADE since the famous Knight Rider 2600 Project first graced these boards! Ten years and innumerable forum upgrades have gone by, and through it all, Knight Rider 2600 has consistently been AtariAge's most entertaining imaginary homebrew game, bringing more hours of enjoyment than several of the games which were actually brought into existence on the 2600.

Happy anniversary, and as always ... GO TEAM SAVAGE!

• Like 6

It's hard to believe, but it's already been a DECADE since the famous Knight Rider 2600 Project first graced these boards! Ten years and innumerable forum upgrades have gone by, and through it all, Knight Rider 2600 has consistently been AtariAge's most entertaining nonexistent homebrew game, bringing more hours of enjoyment than several of the games which were actually brought into existence on the 2600.

Happy anniversary, and as always ... GO TEAM SAVAGE!

Thanks for bumping this one...the fun threads are back in full force tonight at AA!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You know, I was about to say something meaningful about the lessons this topic should teach homebrew developers about hubris. . .

Luckily, programming hubris seems to be rare at AtariAge (at least in the bB forum). The most common thing seems to be counting our chickens before they are hatched or biting off more than we can chew. This example always sticks out in my mind:

atariage.com/forums/topic/117563-is-bb-ready-for-primetime/

I'm very satisfied with the current version of bB and many of my past projects are wrapping up, so expect at least one or two MAUS Games releases every month for the next year. . .

atariage.com/forums/topic/198960-i-know-you-miss-me/

. . . I learned after the first few attempts that promising that a game would be finished was a bad idea.

It's better if we skip the grand announcements and just get the work done so we won't get stuck in a perpetual "that's another thing I'm never gonna do" SNL skit. I try not to make announcements, but I still feel like I'm stuck in that "who am I kiddin' . . . that's another thing I'm never gonna do" SNL skit.

Luckily, programming hubris seems to be rare at AtariAge (at least in the bB forum). The most common thing seems to be counting our chickens before they are hatched or biting off more than we can chew. This example always sticks out in my mind:

atariage.com/forums/topic/117563-is-bb-ready-for-primetime/

atariage.com/forums/topic/198960-i-know-you-miss-me/

It's better if we skip the grand announcements and just get the work done so we won't get stuck in a perpetual "that's another thing I'm never gonna do" SNL skit. I try not to make announcements, but I still feel like I'm stuck in that "who am I kiddin' . . . that's another thing I'm never gonna do" SNL skit.

I thought I was in big trouble. Any of those hyperlinks could have gone into one of my project pages :P

Hope this topic NEVER gets locked down or removed. It's always in the back of my mind when I start a project. In fact, it's the main reason I've held off announcing my latest game for so long. Don't announce: deliver.

• Like 2