IGNORED

PS4 is popular, but not so popular at AtariAge, why is that?

zzip

There's actually a few things I'm looking forward to. But, Last of Us 2 aside, none are things I'll buy on release. I always wait until they're discounted, usually by a lot. Stops me making mistakes like buying Mass Effect Andromeda at full price. As a huge Mass Effect fan, I'll wait until that's under a tenner as they weren't arsed making that game so I'm sure as hell not paying much for it ;)

You know, I've had the remastered Last of Us since I got my system and I haven't beaten it yet. I need to finish it because I do enjoy it and the beginning was unforgettable. I didn't know there was a sequel being made, so I have something to look forward to.

I expect the sequel will be next year at the earliest, they've got to get the Uncharted 4 spin-off out of the way first. TLOU is well worth playing. I can't think of another game that's put me through the emotional ringer like that one did. I totally empathised with Joel by the end and completely understood the motivation for his actions. Brutal, but brilliant writing.

Since I finished Uncharted 4 and Dishonored 2, I have not turned on my PS4.

I know some people never turn theirs off but I don't use mine for streaming and don't want to leave it on all the time. I also don't want to wait for updates, don't keep my controllers charged, not into the online gaming...

I guess it just isn't designed for the quick / casual game. PS4 is better for the epic adventure where you are going to spend a long time on the machine.

I am not finding those large blocks of free time these days.

Edited by SIO2

I expect the sequel will be next year at the earliest, they've got to get the Uncharted 4 spin-off out of the way first. TLOU is well worth playing. I can't think of another game that's put me through the emotional ringer like that one did. I totally empathised with Joel by the end and completely understood the motivation for his actions. Brutal, but brilliant writing.

I didn't connect with Joel at all, and didn't find this game very enjoyable. It had it's moments, but overall the game was a chore to get through.

I didn't connect with Joel at all, and didn't find this game very enjoyable. It had it's moments, but overall the game was a chore to get through.

You are in the minority and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game but millions of others sure did!

• Like 1

TLOU is pretty much the pinnacle of it's genre (story driven action game), hence the amount of praise it gets. But the people who don't like it and can't understand what all the fuss is about, generally just aren't into that genre. Which is absolutely fine. Not everyone likes the same music either.

Edited by juansolo

TLOU is pretty much the pinnacle of it's genre (story driven action game), hence the amount of praise it gets. But the people who don't like it and can't understand what all the fuss is about, generally just aren't into that genre. Which is absolutely fine. Not everyone likes the same music either.

I didn't enjoy Uncharted either, or Tomb Raider. I guess I'm not a fan of the genre-- too linear, play a cut scene then kill a ridiculous amount of heavily armed enemies then play another cut scene or maybe solve a ridiculously simple puzzle. But it all feels so canned and scripted, you can't deviate from the script.

I like story games, I like pure action games, put combining them in the way these games do doesn't work for me.

I do like Horizon Zero Dawn though. But that game gives you more freedom to approach things in the order that suits you, not just push you from plot point to plot point

Edited by zzip

Yeah, Horizon was much more open world. Still linear if you keep to the main quest line, but it allows you to deviate and do side quests. You're nailed on bundling in Uncharted and especially Tomb Raider (which was the influence for Uncharted that went on to be influenced by it). They're all very similarly constructed, linear story games. I like both styles I'll admit. Sometimes I just want to be taken on a journey and get on with it. Other times I want to spend time in the world and play at my own speed.

I still have the Uncharted game I received with my PS4 unplayed. It's installed and ready to go, but I'd have to admit it's not at the top of the list. Then again Final Fantasy XV is in the same boat. Patches downloaded and game installed, but I've yet to start it up. I hope to get around to at least FFXV by the end of the year. Having a limited harddrive on a system that wants to install just about every game for 10-40gigs helps make you selective about otherwise impulse buys.

You are in the minority and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game but millions of others sure did!

He's in the minority but not alone. I thought the game itself was "ok", but Joel was just an asshole. I mean he was supposed to be, you can't deny it. That was one of the central conceits of the game, and a big part of what was supposed to make it "art" in the eyes of some, because rather than just trying to be a fun game it was questioning whether players would identify with an avatar who "broke bad" as the game went on.

I also just think this kind of game plays better on PC, as it always has. I remember when everybody thought first and third person shooters on consoles were kind of a square peg in a round hole because of the controls, and I still feel that way. I find it annoying that both the PS4 and Xbox are so shooter-centric, at least in the US. (I just came back from Japan where it's a totally different story, but not much of a better one... all their PS4 games seem to be character-based and intended for 12 year olds.)

Anyway regarding the PS4, I really like mine for one reason and that's VR. The VR games on it give me the feeling I had when playing a console for the first time, or at least when playing my first 3D games after a lifetime of 2D. It's a new experience. But other than VR, I only have maybe 3 or 4 "regular" games on my PS4 and there aren't many more I want.

Even as a retro gamer, though, I'm not biased towards Nintendo over Sony. In fact I kind of dislike Nintendo in a lot of ways, although I do plan to buy a Switch and I've owned almost all Nintendo's past consoles. I just don't usually buy many games for them. For me, I grew up with Mattel, Atari and then Sega. So there's no single place to get everything I like about gaming in a modern console. I have to own all of them and get bits and pieces here and there, but there's a lot of dreck on all of them that I have to sift through to find things I like. I often don't like the games that are most popular, on any system (including Nintendo's). It didn't used to be that way, it's just that really mainstream games aren't what they used to be, and the types of games most popular now aren't what got me into gaming in the first place. (And I probably wouldn't have originally gotten into gaming at all if they were.)

Edited by spacecadet

I have a PS4, but don't use it as much as I should. Not sure why, it is fun when I do play it. Somehow I guess I just expected more from it though. At this point, I still own more Vita retail titles than PS4 retail titles. >_>

I have a PS4, but don't use it as much as I should. Not sure why, it is fun when I do play it. Somehow I guess I just expected more from it though. At this point, I still own more Vita retail titles than PS4 retail titles. >_>

I do agree with that. Somehow it's not a system that I find really easy to just pick up and start playing. (Even the non-VR stuff.) That is one thing the Switch and the various handhelds I have are a lot better at.

I do remember that Nintendo at least used to, and probably still does, have really strict guidelines for how much time there can be between turning one of their systems on and beginning actual gameplay. It used to be required that the system and games combined be capable of this in something like 6 seconds. It may be slightly longer now but it always feels like it's easier to just start playing a Nintendo game. I think that's part of it with the PS4; it feels somehow like there are a lot of steps and a lot of waiting before I can actually be playing a game. And that little extra hassle is enough to make me just play some other system a lot of the time.

• Like 1

I love the ps4 and vita, and I am looking to find more hidden vita gems. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Hidden Vita gems, you say? One of the best things about Vita was having a lot of PC indie favorites in portable form, since 3DS didn't have the horsepower for them, but now Switch seems to be delivering in that area. It's also a great PSP and PSX machine, in case you missed out on gems from those. The best thing about it for me though is probably being a portable Disgaea machine, which Switch also seems to be taking over from it.

My recs:

PSP/PSX

Persona 3 Portable

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

Final Fantasy VII

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Retail

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited

Demon Gaze

Final Fantasy X HD

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma

Trillion: God of Destruction

Persona 4 Golden

Steins;Gate

Download Only

Axiom Verge

Bastion

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Darkest Dungeon

Fez

Guacamelee!

Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics

Rogue Legacy

Shovel Knight

Spelunky

Super Meat Boy

The Swapper

Shantae: Half Genie Hero

Terraria

Talk about thread derailment...

Edited by JDTAY
  • Like 2

I do agree with that. Somehow it's not a system that I find really easy to just pick up and start playing. (Even the non-VR stuff.) That is one thing the Switch and the various handhelds I have are a lot better at.

I do remember that Nintendo at least used to, and probably still does, have really strict guidelines for how much time there can be between turning one of their systems on and beginning actual gameplay. It used to be required that the system and games combined be capable of this in something like 6 seconds. It may be slightly longer now but it always feels like it's easier to just start playing a Nintendo game. I think that's part of it with the PS4; it feels somehow like there are a lot of steps and a lot of waiting before I can actually be playing a game. And that little extra hassle is enough to make me just play some other system a lot of the time.

I feel the opposite. But then my other game system is a PC

With the PC, everytime I boot it, Steam wants to update itself, won't launch until it does. Then once Steam is updated, then once Steam finally loads, the game I want to play is usually due for an update and I have to wait for that. Or uPlay or Origin want update and require a reboot. There have been times where I had to wait (not kidding) almot half an hour from the time I booted Windows until I could finally play the game I want to play.

PS4 is quick compared to that. If there's a game or OS update, it will still let you play.. only when it's an online game does it force you to update first.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the things that put me off steam and eventually saw me abandoning it completely. The endless updating drove me mad. Now all the games I buy for the computers (PC and Mac) come from GOG simply because it's zero hassle. If a game's not available on GOG I buy it for PS4, if it's not available on PS4, I have plenty of other games to go at and I skip it.

On the one hand the PS4 is quite clever how it deals with things. Downloading a mini patch initially and you can play the game with no online facilities. In the background it downloads any updates it needs and indeed installs the game onto the HDD as you play. Which is great apart from not having the option to not install the game to the HDD and the sheer size of the patches. If you have a reasonable collection of games and want them all on the machine ready to go if you have the whim to play them means having at least a 2TB drive installed in the machine. It's insane! It's supposed to be a console isn't it?!

Edited by juansolo

This is one of the things that put me off steam and eventually saw me abandoning it completely. The endless updating drove me mad. Now all the games I buy for the computers (PC and Mac) come from GOG simply because it's zero hassle. If a game's not available on GOG I buy it for PS4, if it's not available on PS4, I have plenty of other games to go at and I skip it.

On the one hand the PS4 is quite clever how it deals with things. Downloading a mini patch initially and you can play the game with no online facilities. In the background it downloads any updates it needs and indeed installs the game onto the HDD as you play. Which is great apart from not having the option to not install the game to the HDD and the sheer size of the patches. If you have a reasonable collection of games and want them all on the machine ready to go if you have the whim to play them means having at least a 2TB drive installed in the machine. It's insane! It's supposed to be a console isn't it?!

I have a 1Tb drive in mine, but when they added external support, I got an external drive. I moved every game I rarely play to the external drive and most of the free PS+ games, and have lots of space on my internal drive now.