IGNORED

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

dneedham

this is being put to use as my all in one Atari Emulator/Server/BOX.... my tnfs for fujinet, APE, Respeqt, Altira, atari800, etc etc etc. and is also my current AtariAge web browser... as I am using it a this moment to make this post... I've got it connect at 4k uhd on a 55 inch flat screen... my wife does appreciate this (using it as a faster smart hub for prime video firestick replacement etc. Well she says she's happy it came to fruition and it's being enjoyed. Nice to have a great looking complete Atari set up from end to end with nothing else in the mix. It unites them all now. 

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

this is being put to use as my all in one Atari Emulator/Server/BOX.... my tnfs for fujinet, APE, Respeqt, Altira, atari800, etc etc etc. and is also my current AtariAge web browser... as I am using it a this moment to make this post... I've got it connect at 4k uhd on a 55 inch flat screen... my wife does appreciate this (using it as a faster smart hub for prime video firestick replacement etc. Well she says she's happy it came to fruition and it's being enjoyed. Nice to have a great looking complete Atari set up from end to end with nothing else in the mix. It unites them all now. 

Yeah, I am basically using it as my bedroom PC so I don't have to have a giant tower there.

14 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, anyone who says it is a RPi 4 doesn't know much about hardware.  Tried playing PS2 or Gamecube games on one?

In case it wasn't obvious to you, I was being facetious in my response to Stephen.

Are people so defensive about this thing that they can't even discern when someone is saying something positive about it?

Edited by MrFish

40 minutes ago, MrFish said:

In case it wasn't obvious to you, I was being facetious in my response to Stephen.

Are people so defensive about this thing that they can't even discern when someone is saying something positive about it?

Oh, yeah my comment was toward him, not you.  He is very bitter about the thing even being an idea, let alone that Atari managed to actually ship the thing. 

It is an interesting little box.  I figure even if it 100% flops, you can still take purchased games and copy them to a Linux box and run them.  While it may be annoying that you have to hit ESC to boot to another OS, you can still use it as a little computer.  I was playing Minecraft on it last night.  Seemed to run fine at 1920x1080. 

29 minutes ago, leech said:

Oh, yeah my comment was toward him, not you.  He is very bitter about the thing even being an idea, let alone that Atari managed to actually ship the thing. 

OK, that's what I thought at first, when I read it last night after posting (I guess first instincts are usually correct); but then when I looked at it this afternoon, it looked like it was the other way around -- since you're post was actually a response to me.

Anyway, yeah, it's a positive review that I linked to. I don't think the reviewer has any bias one way or the other; he's just showing the results of some of his tests (along with specs and some upgrade options). He has another video that gives some results for running emulation under Windows 10 on it, which are also generally positive.

Edited by MrFish

When we started messing about, it actually performed. Things got better after some updates and flashing came down the pike. I'm starting to have some fun with it, Best of all my other half likes it. I'm thinking about adding some faster, larger memory just to see what that will do. I expect a decent increase in what will run and some increase in FPS by doing so. Time to get some more joystick and controllers, I think they'll be slick on the 8 bit machines with a decent JoyBT adaptor. Selecting video mode at the native or close to native resolution of some game really makes things work nicely, from there you can try up scaling or next higher resolution choices to see how they feel and fare. Good so far. Surprisingly some game don't suffer at higher resolutions like you'd think they would... others are the complete reverse. It's going to keep folks busy for a while. :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

When we started messing about, it actually performed. Things got better after some updates and flashing came down the pike. I'm starting to have some fun with it, Best of all my other half likes it. I'm thinking about adding some faster, larger memory just to see what that will do. I expect a decent increase in what will run and some increase in FPS by doing so. Time to get some more joystick and controllers, I think they'll be slick on the 8 bit machines with a decent JoyBT adaptor. Selecting video mode at the native or close to native resolution of some game really makes things work nicely, from there you can try up scaling or next higher resolution choices to see how they feel and fare. Good so far. Surprisingly some game don't suffer at higher resolutions like you'd think they would... others are the complete reverse. It's going to keep folks busy for a while. :)

I bought one of the Microcenter Atari Branded Arcade Sticks.  Configured it up in MAME and played a few games.  Besides the weird button layout decisions (still thinking I may change the wiring so they are more sane) it works well.  Haven't been able to get it to work yerlt on the Atari side though, which is sad as Missile command on that trackball would be amazing!

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

OK, that's what I thought at first, when I read it last night after posting (I guess first instincts are usually correct); but then when I looked at it this afternoon, it looked like it was the other way around -- since you're post was actually a response to me.

Anyway, yeah, it's a positive review that I linked to. I don't think the reviewer has any bias one way or the other; he's just showing the results of some of his tests (along with specs and some upgrade options). He has another video that gives some results for running emulation under Windows 10 on it, which are also generally positive.

I should really do some tests of PCSX2 on Windows vs Linux.  It is hard to do on my gaming rig as it just runs at a flat 60~ fps either way, but fairly certain that emulator runs better on Windows.  Feels like the openGL implementation wasn't optimized as much as directx.