IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

All I've ever wanted was a modernized CX-40 to use on my PC (somewhat like this but not like this exactly) but not for a $300 AtariBox. Judging by the cost of the Speakerhats, I can't imagine this being much cheaper but guess we'll see. That's if they even sell it separately but I think it would be foolish not to.

Aren't some of the sports channels still at 720p? Or has that changed? The justification at the time was that 720p wasn't interlaced so it looks better in motion than 1080i

As the guy who edited the first high def documentary in florida that aired (and won a Telly and an Emmy for it) I will let you know how PBS handled it and their affliliates. 1920x1080 was interlaced so it flickered a it. 720 was progressive. So FOX sports and others went to 720p. PBS, not being sports, wanted the better look so they went to 1080i. The affiliates had to do the same. So the stations broadcast prime time in 1080i. The rest of the time they could do standard def. The reason is that you could get 4 SD channels or 1 1080i channel on the same bandwidth.

One big issue was the down conversion. In master control they had a machine that would take the 1080i signal and make it 720x486 SD. This make it look bad. So for an editor, I would render out the SD version to avoid this. However on live sports, you had to use the down converter. The 720p just looked better and thus 720p became the standard for sports.

and no, 1080p wasn't around yet. Also, just because a station said they were 1080i did not mean they shoot in 1920x1080. Some formats shot on 1440x1080 or whatever, then up converted. It is just now we are getting to real dimensions on TV.

• Like 4

Looks photoshopped though, badly I might add. Probably nothing but renders again.

looking at the two without the questionable hand and shadows you can see bits of lint and light dust, along with scratches on the shiny part, that's a lot of effort for a render ... though not impossible

Again, not renders. Here is another shot, with the Fuji

attachicon.gifFuji.jpg

I have been saying this atariMintBox needed something different like joysticks again, Great job. However, 1 button just will not do. They need 4 buttons. Limiting to 1 button will be a disaster. Most games use at least 2-4 buttons. and thus would not be usable on the AtarMintBox. You can do everything with 4 buttons and 4 directions (the other 4 inbetween directions make a total of 8). This is a minimum needed for any game today. This is not an option.

My suggestion is 4. 2 at the top-left corner and 2 on the bottom left corner. That way they is a area in between the buttons to rest the thumb on without touching and buttons. Also, on the front could be a pause button and a start button if they wanted that.

But 4 buttons no less. and before someone suggests it...NO BUTTONS ON THE TOP OF THE JOYSTICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!. OMG, that reminds me of Wico Atari 5200 joysticks. They sucked. They just are not useable. Also, no buttons on the side like the 5200 ones. They give hand strain. The 2600 standard joystick just layed in the hand and I could play Space Invaders 3 days straight with no problem.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos
  • Like 4

From my cable provider: https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/getting-started/faqs

• How do I change the video format settings?
  • To change the Fios TV video format settings on your Fios Set-top Box, using your Fios remote press:

• Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Format > Select the appropriate format that you want to use

Note: Currently, the highest display resolution for broadcast TV is 1080i (interlaced) and 1080p (progressive). You can choose between 16:9 (Cinema) or 4:3 (standard) mode.

Understanding Display Resolutions:

• Picture Quality indicates how many horizontal scan lines can be painted onto the TV screen. The higher the number the better picture quality you can expect from your video source, for example:
    • Picture Scan
      • Progressive scan (p) - sends the odd and even video frames together to the TV screen
      • Interlaced scan (i) - sends the even rows then the odd rows to the TV screen
    • Generally, a 1080p video source has a smoother picture than 1080i video source
      • HDTV is broadcast in either 1080i or 720p
      • Consumer products available for 1080p viewing are for things like video game consoles, HD DVD, or Blu-Ray disks

Overly simplified. Even Wikipedia would tell you that.

BTW: 16x9 is NOT cinema. SD = 4x3 (1.33:1). HDTV = 16x9(1.77:1). Theatrical cinema 21x9 (2.35:1)

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

looking at the two without the questionable hand and shadows you can see bits of lint and light dust, along with scratches on the shiny part, that's a lot of effort for a render ... though not impossible

I know artists, that can do better than that.

• Like 1

All it's missing is a numeric keypad to truly stay out of touch with modern gaming times.

Yes, most game controllers look like the Playstation 1 controller, but for 1 good reason: it worked. Evolution worked.

I'm now even more convinced AtariBox will have an S-video port.

• Like 2

That's probably an action shot (blurry thumb) after the player let go of the stick. The stick itself disappears into the glossy abyss, save for the dark grey top. I think the only thing truly manipulated was the reflection; where the white reflection converges mid-bottom and appears on top of the hand. Maybe they took a frame out of a video and that was a resulting artifact?

Here's the Error Level Analysis from imageforensic.org which shows what was manipulated, because I was curious:

post-39941-0-51788100-1511294647_thumb.png

lol yeah. Seriously, what's up with this thumb? Terrible photographer, or terrible Photoshop job?

attachicon.gifWTF is up with that thumb.jpg

I have been saying this atariMintBox needed something different like joysticks again, Great job. However, 1 button just will not do. They need 4 buttons. Limiting to 1 button will be a disaster. Most games use at least 2-4 buttons. and thus would not be usable on the AtarMintBox. You can do everything with 4 buttons and 4 directions (the other 4 inbetween directions make a total of 8). This is a minimum needed for any game today. This is not an option.

My suggestion is 4. 2 at the top-left corner and 2 on the bottom left corner. That way they is a area in between the buttons to rest the thumb on without touching and buttons. Also, on the front could be a pause button and a start button if they wanted that.

But 4 buttons no less. and before someone suggests it...NO BUTTONS ON THE TOP OF THE JOYSTICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!. OMG, that reminds me of Wico Atari 5200 joysticks. They sucked. They just are not useable. Also, no buttons on the side like the 5200 ones. They give hand strain. The 2600 standard joystick just layed in the hand and I could play Space Invaders 3 days straight with no problem.

Ha not sure why you keep calling it the AtariMintBox (unless you are going to put Mints in it?)

But it actually has THREE buttons. There is a 'back' button and a 'home' button on the bottom. Not that those are useful in games...

I still maintain they should package a Steam Controller with this skin: https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/291087/valve-steam-controller-skin-wooden-gaming-system

tumblr_mp0keb2IgJ1squ785o1_250.gif

• Like 2

I'll admit, it looks better than what I was expecting (which was some sort of generic game pad - although I'm sure that's still on the way).

Clearly, this is aimed at playing 2600 games, and only 2600 games. So it's strictly meant to appeal to people who want to play Yars' Revenge and... what were the other two or three good 2600 games Atari still owns?

I'm curious about something though... where the stick meets the base - does this look like an analog joystick to anyone else?

If it is... I hope they remember to make it self-centering this time. :roll:

post-2641-0-82409900-1511295859_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-39545400-1511296664_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'll admit, it looks better than what I was expecting (which was some sort of generic game pad - although I'm sure that's still on the way).

Clearly, this is aimed at playing 2600 games, and only 2600 games. So it's strictly meant to appeal to people who want to play Yars' Revenge and... what were the other two or three good 2600 games Atari still owns?

I'm curious about something though... where the stick meets the base - does this look like an analog joystick to anyone else?

It looks like it could be analog, can't say for sure.

If it is... I hope they remember to make it self-centering this time. :roll:

Hey man, do you like nostalgia or not?! :P

• Like 1

So the red dashed lines around the "shiny bowl" ... are they lights, or paint? Can we infer that these sticks will have analog or 16+ switch directions?

All I'll say is... it looks like lights to me.

Mad_Catz_Atari2600_Joystick.jpgI don't hate it, but it does seem limiting. Reminds me of this from around 2007.....I thought it looked interesting, but they were asking more than it looked like it was worth. I understand it tanked pretty hard back then.

Mad Catz Arcade Gamestick

Mad_Catz_Atari2600_Joystick.jpg

I own one of those... It's a 360 controller so it should be compatible with Linux.

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 1

All it's missing is a numeric keypad to truly stay out of touch with modern gaming times.

Yes, most game controllers look like the Playstation 1 controller, but for 1 good reason: it worked. Evolution worked.

I'm now even more convinced AtariBox will have an S-video port.

S-Video? Now THAT I'd buy!! haha...

OK So I really like this joystick! I do wish it had a CX40 type fire button though...And let's Hope that's not an analog stick.

I agree this is for Atari 2600 (and 2600 type) games...

I think they'd need another option for modern games.

I see a lot of people saying XBOX type controllers...XBOX? Don't get me wrong, they're OK, I guess. But, am I the only one who Much Prefers PLAYSTATION??

Looking at a PS2 Controller, I see Perfection. Everything lines up symmetrically and look at the D-Pad...It's where it can be used, Not where it sucks like on XBOX...Then analog sticks (If they must be used) are right at your fingertips where they belong. You could substitute PS3 controllers if you prefer wireless, but also remember PS2 had Analog Buttons.

• Like 3

I see a lot of people saying XBOX type controllers...XBOX? Don't get me wrong, they're OK, I guess. But, am I the only one who Much Prefers PLAYSTATION??

Looking at a PS2 Controller, I see Perfection. Everything lines up symmetrically and look at the D-Pad...It's where it can be used, Not where it sucks like on XBOX...Then analog sticks (If they must be used) are right at your fingertips where they belong. You could substitute PS3 controllers if you prefer wireless, but also remember PS2 had Analog Buttons.

While I personally prefer 360/One-style controllers in most cases to PS-style controllers, I was more saying that because that's what most PC games are optimized for these days. It's doubtful Atari will be going in and doing any changes to most games, so it would likely be a smoother process if the controller used the Xbox-style A, B, X, Y.

• Like 2

While I personally prefer 360/One-style controllers in most cases to PS-style controllers, I was more saying that because that's what most PC games are optimized for these days. It's doubtful Atari will be going in and doing any changes to most games, so it would likely be a smoother process if the controller used the Xbox-style A, B, X, Y.

I hear ya. I never play games on PC so I guess I'm not wired that way like a normal person ;)

• Like 1

I'm not really interested in playing games with it, but I think the AtariBox Joystick design is a good thing. As long as it is an optional controller, it will be a nice variation from all the other gamepads out there. This will also give them something (else) distinctive for their image.

I think all of us have had an experience when you show your collection to someone in their 40s or 50s. They see a CX-40 for the first time in 30 years, and they pretty much all have to go pick it up and hold it. It was smart to capitalize on that nostalgia.

• Like 3