IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Yup. There's no cartridge slot, so the toy 80's console look was kinda pointless. I prefer the utility design as long as the onboard software works well and it works with USB accessories.

If ya prefer the design over substance or existence approach, I've got some swell renders I can sell you....

Edited by JBerel

I had totally forgotten about the Dreamcade Replay. I will be very interested to see what they have in store and at what price point they will have it at. May just have to look into this when the time comes. Honestly, Atari flat out screwed up and missed their golden opportunity. Sorry, no longer interested in Ataribox, especially with this coming out and having recently acquired a Nvidia Shield TV.

• Like 1

If Atari didn't have it's greedy head so far up its own ass, they would have done a licensing deal with Dream Arcades to slap the Atari logo on their box.

More like if Dream Arcades had approached Atari… my guess is it would have happened. Even if Atari did have the idea in the works internally, changes could have been made to get their efforts to where Atari would have wanted it. It isn't like Atari SA is all that picky about what gets licensed.

This is a casual interview/walkthrough of Dreamcade. It's amusing to note they say that a lot of celebrities want these. They want a turnkey system that just works. And I agree. No fiddling with buzzing transformers and loose chips in sockets. No ratbaggy and creaky cabinets, all fresh and new stuff.

• Like 1

This is a casual interview/walkthrough of Dreamcade. It's amusing to note they say that a lot of celebrities want these. They want a turnkey system that just works. And I agree. No fiddling with buzzing transformers and loose chips in sockets. No ratbaggy and creaky cabinets, all fresh and new stuff.

I think we can safely conclude this thread as the Ataribox looks 'dead' at this point. Personally, I look forward to hearing more on the Dreamcade Replay as that looks like a really good deal and looks to offer tremendous value. In the meantime, I will work on getting my Nvidia Shield TV up and running with retro goodness.

• Like 1

More like if Dream Arcades had approached Atari… my guess is it would have happened. Even if Atari did have the idea in the works internally, changes could have been made to get their efforts to where Atari would have wanted it. It isn't like Atari SA is all that picky about what gets licensed.

Funny you should say that. Dream Arcades did approach Atari about using their back catalog. And while I can't say much (because of my NDA and the fact that I don't actually know anything, but I've got some really interesting stories to tell), Atari decided to tell them to piss up a rope. So they bought a number of fully licenses CDs of the Atari back catalog and will release that with many of the first run units. Again, golden opportunity missed by the ass hats at Atari. On their own, folks can find pretty much the entire library of what Atari has to sell for $5 these days, and if there's no stock, or they make it difficult, it can be downloaded complete in about 30 seconds. I encourage folks to do so if they are so inclined. No good can come from supporting the clowns who hold the rights these days.

• Like 8

I think we can safely conclude this thread as the Ataribox looks 'dead' at this point. Personally, I look forward to hearing more on the Dreamcade Replay as that looks like a really good deal and looks to offer tremendous value. In the meantime, I will work on getting my Nvidia Shield TV up and running with retro goodness.

Yes I think so. Windows on an x86 set top box is really all the infrastructure one needs to get a good experience. You'll have a selection of the best emulators to pick from. And you'll be able to make changes and add in your own stuff. And you've got the capability to run many side/support programs to enhance your experience.

---

EDIT: There are other ecologies out there, like Linux, Android, MAC/iOS based devices and handhelds. Those are no less important. I just "preach" Windows because that's what I've found to be most versatile, it appeases the rocket scientist as it does the casual user. With more emphasis on the casual user. And there are some important emulators currently compiled only for Windows that I want to use.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

Funny you should say that. Dream Arcades did approach Atari about using their back catalog. And while I can't say much (because of my NDA and the fact that I don't actually know anything, but I've got some really interesting stories to tell), Atari decided to tell them to piss up a rope. So they bought a number of fully licenses CDs of the Atari back catalog and will release that with many of the first run units. Again, golden opportunity missed by the ass hats at Atari.

While full-size arcade cabs are not as popular among the general populace as they were in the 1980's, they have gained a following among well-to-do clientele. People that have nicely finished rec rooms and entertainment areas. Not sure which is more popular, the multi-cade or single-game cabinet.

I would suspect the mult-cade is more popular among non-techies, while the single-game cab is the fav of the purists.

But the point of this post is that if atari licensed their old arcade games, they'd be getting their logo on these cabinets. Some of which are out in the general public. They missed out on great opportunity.

Funny you should say that. Dream Arcades did approach Atari about using their back catalog. And while I can't say much (because of my NDA and the fact that I don't actually know anything, but I've got some really interesting stories to tell), Atari decided to tell them to piss up a rope. So they bought a number of fully licenses CDs of the Atari back catalog and will release that with many of the first run units. Again, golden opportunity missed by the ass hats at Atari. On their own, folks can find pretty much the entire library of what Atari has to sell for $5 these days, and if there's no stock, or they make it difficult, it can be downloaded complete in about 30 seconds. I encourage folks to do so if they are so inclined. No good can come from supporting the clowns who hold the rights these days.

Oct 26 2017
From Dreamcade's Kickstarter pages: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Mega Update
31 likes

As many of you will recall, our Kickstarter Campaign was delayed several days when the company we’d been working with for many months on game licensing unexpectedly​ pulled out.

They are releasing a product similar to ours, and we have been unable to secure a licensing deal despite our absolute willingness to be flexible in working with them. We will still include 100 licensed games with the Replay, and are working with several other companies to license retro titles.

- "the company we'd been working with" I think we can guess which company that was... their first reaction to Jeff Minter was to poop on him from a great height regarding his latest version of Tempest. (Whereas I think he is as close to a God as it is possible to get gaming wise....) If only they'd said to Dream "hey let's work together on this" or to Jeff...... oh yeah eventually they realised that they could actually make some money if they worked with people and did a U turn with Jeff so maybe they will learn a lesson on attitude, respect and approach, or maybe not!

So where is that tempest 4k? I would pay money for that...

• Like 5

If by "approached Atari" you mean, "offered Atari half of their crowdfunding take on bended knee," yeah, sure, maybe, if you really think so.

You bring up a good point re: Atari's selectivity as to what they will and won't license the name for.

I have an idea that a line of products falling under the categories of 'buzzing' and 'rubbery' would be the perfect complement to the existing range.

Let me get my people on that one, stat.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

You bring up a good point re: Atari's selectivity as to what they will and won't license the name for.

I have an idea that a line of products falling under the categories of 'buzzing' and 'rubbery' would be the perfect complement to the existing range.

Let me get my people on that one, stat.

I really want this to happen.

• Like 4

I really want this to happen.

We might even be able to offer accessories.

My first thought was a holder in the shape of a taco shell but with stabilizing feet on the bottom. Perfect for keeping our main product from rolling off of flat surfaces, you could also use them to hold races by activating the main product while it's in the taco shell. A tasteful way to bring greater enjoyment to any social occasion.

We gotta get this on IndieKickFundTreon ASAP.

My first thought was a holder in the shape of a taco shell but with stabilizing feet on the bottom. Perfect for keeping our main product from rolling off of flat surfaces, you could also use them to hold races by activating the main product while it's in the taco shell. A tasteful way to bring greater enjoyment to any social occasion.

I misread that at first, and thought the product would be little motorized taco holders, so you could have taco races.

I'd pay good money for that.

What could be better than having a little motorized taco holder, buzzing its way across the dinner table?

Two of them.

Racing.

Crowdfund that, Atari.

post-2641-0-74477800-1516841928_thumb.jpg

See? I even did your render for you. You're halfway there!

• Like 12

Grand Prix Taco? Taco Grande Prix?

I misread that at first, and thought the product would be little motorized taco holders, so you could have taco races.

I'd pay good money for that.

What could be better than having a little motorized taco holder, buzzing its way across the dinner table?

Two of them.

Racing.

Crowdfund that, Atari.

attachicon.gifon-your-marks-get-set-taco.jpg

See? I even did your render for you. You're halfway there!

• Like 1

"As many of you will recall, our Kickstarter Campaign was delayed several days when the company we’d been working with for many months on game licensing unexpectedly​ pulled out."

It's no coincidence that they strung Dream Arcades along for months then when they actually launched their kickstarter, Atari started all their BS teaser marketing for a device they didn't have. Lo and behold, Atari never produced a thing and couldn't follow through. Pretty skeezy even for a bankrupt thrice removed IP troll.

• Like 5