IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Completely true.

Which brings up the inevitable question - why do they need to crowdfund it then?

To minimize their risk and maximize their return, of course. I wonder how the shareholders of Atari SA feel about this? It would seem they're being left out of the potential profits.

In addition to RollerCoaster Tycoon Touch, there's also a mobile port of RCT Classic, which is like the PC game, a pay-once "premium" game, with no in-app purchases. I would think that would be a better fit for the Switch ecosystem, at least until Nintendo gets its IAP stuff going.

Of course, the platform is a moving target, and free to play has more profit potential -- as long as it's continuously maintained as a service. Arena of Valor is coming to Switch, so it's probably just a matter of time until we can buy booster coins and the like for Switch games. Maybe by the time Atari's partners can deliver, free games will be the norm. I didn't see anything about that in the "investment" material, did you?

It's the range of the goal that baffles me: $10,000 to $1.07 million.

If you want $1.07 million, ask for it. But I guess setting the bar low lets them call it a "successful crowdfunding campaign" regardless of the ultimate outcome, as long as they cleared that first number.

This seems an awful lot like Atari is testing the crowdfunding waters...

Let's put this up front

"A crowdfunding investment involves risk. You should not invest any funds in this offering unless you can afford to lose your entire investment. In making an investment decision, investors must rely on their own examination of the issuer and the terms of the offering, including the merits and risks involved. These securities have not been recommended or approved by any federal or state securities commission or regulatory authority. Furthermore, these authorities have not passed upon the accuracy or adequacy of this document. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission does not pass upon the merits of any securities offered or the terms of the offering, nor does it pass upon the accuracy or completeness of any offering document or literature. These securities are offered under an exemption from registration; however, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has not made an independent determination that these securities are exempt from registration."

And this

"Irregular Use of Proceeds

We might incur Irregular Use of Proceeds that may include but are not limited to the following over $10,000: Vendor payments and salary made to one's self, a friend or relative; Any expense labeled "Administration Expenses" that is not strictly for administrative purposes; Any expense labeled "Travel and Entertainment"; Any expense that is for the purposes of inter-company debt or back payments."

There's more hate than even the hatiest haters high on haterade here could muster, Mister:

https://www.startengine.com/atari-game-partners

To minimize their risk and maximize their return, of course. I wonder how the shareholders of Atari SA feel about this? It would seem they're being left out of the potential profits.

Well...

Atari Game Partners is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Atari.

I'm sure Atari SA will get money, if there's money to be had. Any meat they can pick off the corpse is fine with them at this point. They're probably just happy to have their name in the news. Just look at all of the happy comments there!

Edited by Nathan Strum

Looks like the lawsuit between Atari SA and Nestle has been settled..Case has been dismissed but a mutual settlement agreement has been made but they're not telling. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nestle-atari/nestle-atari-settle-lawsuit-over-kit-kat-campaign-idUSKBN1FE24R

U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers in Oakland, California, dismissed Atari’s copyright infringement case on Wednesday after the companies settled, court records show.

“The action was resolved through a mutually acceptable confidential settlement agreement,” Nestle said in an email on Thursday. Atari and its lawyers did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Nestle: We want to settle out of court.

Atari: So do we. Give us money.

Nestle: No. Because we looked you up, and are pretty confident that you're run by idiots, and couldn't win this lawsuit if we openly admitted in court to breaking into your house and actually somehow stealing Breakout from you.

Atari: Then we'll tie up more of your time in court until you give us some money. We have have plenty of time on our hands.

Nestle: Fine. We'll give you a dollar.

Atari: Make it ten.

Nestle: Five.

Atari: Seven-fifty.

Nestle: Three.

Atari: Okay... Five.

Nestle: Five it is. Besides you've got that crowdfunding scam going now. You don't need to harass candy bar companies anymore.

Atari: It's not a scam. We made it very clear on the page that everyone can lose their money, and we can use the funds for anything we want. Besides, we really want it to happen.

Nestle: Speaking of that... how's that Ataribox coming along?

Atari: Shut up. That's how.

• Like 11

IMHO, this is wholly misleading. The position below the "Pre-alpha footage" and directly to the left of the only mention of "all-new game" implies that the carousel picture is from the Switch version. It's not; it's from the Touch. The exact same screenshot can be found on the Atari RCTT page. A view of the same area from a different angle can be seen in the campaign page itself, under the "About RollerCoaster Tycoon Touch" section (also copied below).

Of course, your mileage may vary and may not find it misleading at all. Sure seems to be some murkiness about this project, though.

post-39941-0-84370700-1516912495_thumb.jpg

----------

mobile_3d_graphics.jpg

So they screwed the pooch with the classic gaming fans on their aborted box scam, now they screw the pooch on their only modern IP with any following. And they are almost certainly posing as supporters on forums, social media, and their own fundraising schemes.

I just hope the nimrods at Atari own lots of their own stock. I'm pretty confident you're watching Atari's thrashing death roll now.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

One thing that frightens me about this whole mess...

Things are bad now.. REALLY bad, but let's say they get worse, and Atari is done...

Do we want a company like River West Brands to take over? Someone from the classic gaming community should be ready to snatch the name, if / when the collapse of Atari happens.

Edited by Inky
  • Like 1

Things are bad now.. REALLY bad, but let's say they get worse, and Atari is done...

Do we want a company like River West Brands to take over? Someone from the classic gaming community should be ready to snatch the name, if / when the inevitable collapse of Atari happens.

There likely wouldn't be anything left. They'll sell off any remaining IPs piecemeal for whatever money they can get for them before they completely go under. They've already shown a willingness to do this. Someone would have to be willing to bid for whatever they wanted to keep as being "Atari".

Do we want a company like River West Brands to take over? Someone from the classic gaming community should be ready to snatch the name, if / when the inevitable collapse of Atari happens.

I agree. It would be nice to have Atari picked up by someone with a clue. The brand has a lot of potential and could really turn on the retro factor to an 11 with competent people behind it.

• Like 2

It's the range of the goal that baffles me: $10,000 to $1.07 million.

If you want $1.07 million, ask for it. But I guess setting the bar low lets them call it a "successful crowdfunding campaign" regardless of the ultimate outcome, as long as they cleared that first number.

This seems an awful lot like Atari is testing the crowdfunding waters...

I don't understand this either, this should be a straight port, can probably be done with a couple of people. I doubt they used anything other than an off the shelf engine, like Unity or Unreal. :?

What programmer is going to port this for 10K?

Atari doesn't pay dividends to shareholders so what they do with the money after it is earned doesn't really affect us per se.

Meaning- (lets play nice and just pretend for a moment)-

Step 1- They do make this game, it sells very well, no issues, Atari makes money, the game investors get paid back what they put in plus a share of the profit.

Step 2- Atari gets to put good earning results on their ledger- stock value goes up. Shareholders profit.

Step 3- 'Atari Game Partners' branch company says OK that went well, lets do it again for another game.

Repeat process.

*Could* they take the money and run, using slight of hand to skew the results and rip off all the game investors? Sure, in theory. To what end result? Seriously- take a look at the details of the investment page- There is a lot involved with setting this all up. They created an entire new company entity (AGP) specifically for this type of game creation.

I'm pretty sure it is in their best interest to be successful so they can do a 2nd game afterward, then a 3rd, etc.

Although I've never played the roller coaster game- and understand an earlier version sucked- I've read the most recent version apparently is very good and very popular. I'm pretty sure they know this as well- so which do you think they will design model towards?

People are hung up on the picture. I suppose saying pre-alpha wasn't clear enough and they should have captioned the picture as 'concept' or similar.

Do we want a company like River West Brands to take over? Someone from the classic gaming community should be ready to snatch the name, if / when the collapse of Atari happens.

There are people watching this.

• Like 1

Umm.. How does this work? 12 hours ago, I posted that 37 investors had brought in $22.600. Now when I check the site, the total is 42 investors and $22.105. Did Atari already start to spend incoming money, or did a few of the previous investors change their bid to a lower level? It doesn't seem so good if they crowdfund backwards.

• Like 1

They'll sell off any remaining IPs piecemeal for whatever money they can get for them before they completely go under. They've already shown a willingness to do this.

You say that as if they just said screw it and threw the baby out with the bath water. Umm- it was bankruptcy, they did what they had to do to stay afloat, stay alive. Like in a movie poker game where a guy is down to chose either to walk away or throw his watch onto the table to stay in the game. Willingness - sheesh.

I agree. It would be nice to have Atari picked up by someone with a clue. The brand has a lot of potential...

I really think a lot of you guys aren't aware of all what Atari is doing worldwide, and where they are headed.

Umm.. How does this work? 12 hours ago, I posted that 37 investors had brought in $22.600. Now when I check the site, the total is 42 investors and $22.105. Did Atari already start to spend incoming money, or did a few of the previous investors change their bid to a lower level? It doesn't seem so good if they crowdfund backwards.

From what I remember about what I quickly skimmed- I believe you can withdraw your contribution up to a certain time frame before the end of the campaign. I'd have to go back and reread to be sure.

Could be some people didn't understand the concept and thought they were putting money towards 'getting' the game itself instead putting money towards building it for a share of profit.

Could be some people reading all the angry crap on the web and getting cold feet backing out of the deal.

Will be interesting to see what happens as time moves forward.

Ok, perhaps that is standard practise when it comes to crowdfunding that you can regret your pledge. Normally the amount keeps growing nonetheless so it isn't noticable except in cases like this.

We'll see in the long run if more people pull out than new ones put in.