IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Budget console, what!?!?

$300 is NOT a budget console. The $25 (just got another) Atari Flashback Portal and ($25 sale) Bittboy are budget consoles! If the AtariBox/VCS ( whatever the hell it called) is say about $50 not any more I would probably buy it to play 2600/5200/7800 games. The 7800 games would be nice.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 3

$300 is NOT a budget console. The $25 (just got another) Atari Flashback Portal and ($25 sale) Bittboy are budget consoles! If the AtariBox/VCS ( whatever the hell it called) is say about $50 not any more I would probably buy it to play 2600/5200/7800 games. The 7800 games would be nice.

Ha, $300 is the price of the current PS4. Or a Switch, or for just shy of $200 you can get this;

https://www.amazon.com/GroGou-Console-Pandoras-Machine-Joystick/dp/B075WT8BNV/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1525587134&sr=8-17&keywords=game+console

I actually think I'm going to put my money into an arcade cabinet soon. Been wanting to do it forever....

• Like 4

When I think of this...

I don't know where to begin. I'll Never call it an Atari VCS. That much above all else I Do know. Maybe I'll just say new AtariTacoboxRetroVCS. If I thought it had even a snowball's chance in Hell, I'd be Extremely Furious they even considered calling it a VCS.

I mean,...I use Atari or say Atari 2600, but I'd like to be able to luxuriate and use other terms from time to time, occasionally calling it a VCS...Or Atari VCS. And Everybody knows what I am talking about and will continue to know what I am talking about.

I'm not talking about the TacoBox.

Hell, I don't even think their shell is cool anymore.

• Like 1

I was also pondering "new Atari"...This one's a little easier as we could all just say, "Atari SA". Simple, right? Except that they keep calling themselves "Atari". And there will likely be newer folks who can't keep it straight. They might even think new "Atari" IS old ATARI! Remember New Coke in the 80's? It's kind of like that...At least if you were a kid and wanted a Coke when New Coke was all that was available. And how many of us call it CLASSIC Coke now? haha... That's right! No one.

OK, So I refer to them as "new Atari"...or "Atari", but do I always have to explain asshole quotes? Or say "It's not really Atari"...Not The Atari!

So it's difficult, but to say new Atari properly; You have to be frowning, like it pains you to have to say it at all, and you should have the Proper amount of Condescension...Saying it like a hipster being ironic, but not too ironic (and definitely not too hipsterish), all the while remembering to sprinkle loads of disappointment, over shame that flows like wine; An air of disgust should be omnipresent, while a parable sense of dread should also be conveyed...And, if there's not a darkened melancholy that saddens your soul as you speak, you are doing it wrong. It's spoken as a lament...Like a dirge and the plague had a baby at a funeral on a dreary day...

And when you are done saying new Atari, it must always be followed by a sigh that comes from deep within and seems like you are too exhausted to explain, but have a sense of regret that has bothered you for a very long time...But do it quickly! Like tearing a Bandaid off a deep wound,...So you can add alcohol and salt.

• Like 1

If we're re-branding Atari SA my vote goes for NuTari. The name seems to best exemplify the counterfeit nature of the whole company.

Back on topic, here's one thing I cannot wrap my brain around no matter how many times I crunch the numbers. How can NuTari make this console a success? I'd really like to see someone give this question an honest answer, because every time I consider all the possibilities I still can't come up with a winning hand.

Say this machine runs every Atari console and Atari computer game in existence. Well that's certainly enticing but how is that any different from a Raspberry Pi machine, or the PC that I'm using to write this post? It could also be a fantastic media player, running every type of video file under the sun. That's always useful but I already have three devices in my home, including my smart TV, that will run my vast library of digital videos. So what about original gaming content? What IPs does NuTari have other than Roller Coaster Tycoon and Tempest?

I was a backer of the Ouya, and I owned both models, the original and the 1.1 black version. To this day I still believe the micro console is a viable idea that no one has done correctly. The Asian market is flooded with Android media boxes. Most of them are hit or miss when it comes to gaming. There's also streaming game boxes like the Steam Box and PSTV, both of which offered streaming gaming and both of which basically failed. How is NuTari going to succeed with the Atari Box where others have faltered?

It just seems that the more you think about this product, the more you realize that it has absolutely nothing going for it but a name.

• Like 1

What is "success" here? They just want your money, as much as they can get. It doesn't matter how much, unless their "preorder" numbers make it look like they'll lose money, in which case they'll bail like usual. So don't give them any money.

Submitted for your approval: SansAtari, after Sansabelt.

(Yes, this is a real brand. No, this is not the original ad, it's been doctored to be silly)

post-2410-0-93016400-1525634672_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

If we're re-branding Atari SA my vote goes for NuTari. The name seems to best exemplify the counterfeit nature of the whole company.

Back on topic, here's one thing I cannot wrap my brain around no matter how many times I crunch the numbers. How can NuTari make this console a success? I'd really like to see someone give this question an honest answer, because every time I consider all the possibilities I still can't come up with a winning hand.

There is no answer to that question that follows logic or reality,

I am sure there are plenty of answers if we go by hopes, dreams, unicorns, etc.

• Like 1

I have no problem with it being called the VCS. I never thought of the 2600 as the VCS. Maybe Video Computer System but not VCS (Not everything had to be abbreviated). Ataribox was a dumb name and this should resemble what it actually has in it. I never really considered the 2600 as a computer anyways. I think the name is far from the biggest problem this has. And it won't cause market confusion as the 2600 hasn't been on the market for how long now?

I think the design is cool and pays homage to the original but doesn't just look like a dumb black box like my Xbox1, xbox 360, ps2.

Unless i can buy new steam games and play them (not stream from a computer to it). I really dont see the need for an atari emulation machine.

Awwwww come on everyone, the key is...IT"S ATARI! :-D

Known for the VCS/2600, 400/800 (et. al), arcade games, Lynx, Jaguar, Gameband, Speakerhat, ummm.. IT'S ATARI! :woozy:

Think the following is a bit more accurate in my opinion:

VCS/2600, Arcade Games, 400/800/XL, 7800, ST, STE, Lynx, 5200, XE, Jaguar, Gameband, Speakerhat, ummm.. IT'S ATARI! :woozy:

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

I was at the local Fry's yesterday and what did I see when I went over to the Nintendo aisle, just past the USB NES, SNES & Gamecube knockoff controllers? I saw a portable Atari™ branded handheld console for USD50 with classic Atari games on it sitting next to an Atari™ branded Flashback 8 console (can't remember the price of it, tho--I think it was around USD30 or so?).

So, unlike NuTari, there are licensees out there who are bringing real Atari™ branded gaming merchandise to the stores that you can go and buy right now, if you are so inclined.

Strange thing is, I thought of tacos when I saw them. To be fair, it was around lunchtime and I was getting hungry.

Edited by Shamus
  • Like 2

I know people dont like how this product was designed by Atari SA but isnt it true that most atari hardware was designed by third parties? The 7800 and lynx were outsourced werent they? wasnt the ST designed by someone completely different too?

ATARI SA isnt Atari but Atari hasnt been the original Atari since the late 70s... I see this Atari as being every bit as legit as the one who made the Jaguar...

Even when Atari was Atari, they were barely Atari hahahahha

Edited by AlecRob
  • Like 1