IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

When it comes to price point, delivery date, and company reliability, Retron77 looks like the way to go- except for one thing. You see, I was thinking about getting this for my mom, and she really likes Netflix...

• Like 2

Random aside: for all the talk of this being a streaming box, has there been any confirmation that Atari SE has contacted Netflix, Hulu, etc., to port their software? Granted, this isn't a challenging step.... but I can't recall actually seeing that they've done this.

netflix can run inbrowser on linux now, the entirety of talks may have been: make a button to open a chrome window to netflixdotcom.

with their overzealous litigation and (alleged) theft of dev royalties i don't think i could buy anything from neoatari in good conscience even if they make the most amazing indiegogo pitch of all time. i feel depressed about that for some reason.

• Like 2

Funny, I've always liked the black/silver styling more than the wood grain. Sure, the original is nice, but the later systems just looked so slick.

At this point, "Atari" is in the nostalgia business. It's all they have going for them. There's a reason every Flashback after the first one has mimicked the woodgrain VCS, and why #realwood is a thing. I promise you, far more people are looking to recapture that woodie look than a 2600 Jr.

• Like 2

Sure, any new console nowadays can do Netflix but no pics of the inside.

Companies like Infogrames Atari SA care more about being vain (look at us!!) than to actually make a console first with actual circuit boards,etc.

Anyone with half-a-brain knows you have to build the board first otherwise, you're shoving all those components into a small confined space and no room for a fan.

Money is also a big issue with Atari SA. Remember the 3 minute video?

Perhaps if someone hurries up, they can release a licensed Netflix game for the 2600 before spring 2019? It would be poetic.

If they release it on a physical disk, like Netflix did for Wii and PS3 over a decade ago, they'd have some instant fans around these parts. Because one never knows when the Netflix servers may be taken down. One wants something more than a rental, after all. :roll:

• Like 1

Hm, to be used with a Supercharger or are you considering some other hardware solution that lets a real Atari 2600 load and run games from CD-ROM? Sure Netflix can distribute it on a custom SD card to be used with the Harmony and Harmony Encore...

Edited by carlsson

If they release it on a physical disk, like Netflix did for Wii and PS3 over a decade ago, they'd have some instant fans around these parts. Because one never knows when the Netflix servers may be taken down. One wants something more than a rental, after all. :roll:

Perhaps if someone hurries up, they can release a licensed Netflix game for the 2600 before spring 2019? It would be poetic.

• Like 4

Hm, to be used with a Supercharger or are you considering some other hardware solution that lets a real Atari 2600 load and run games from CD-ROM? Sure Netflix can distribute it on a custom SD card to be used with the Harmony and Harmony Encore...

The "Atari VCS" will have 4x USB3 ports. No SD card slot has been announced, but I presume it would be able to read from anything you plug in (SD card adaptor, external optical disk) so long as the system has a driver for it. If/when the V¢S launches, someone will surely point out how amusing it is that V¢S can play audio CDs but the Playstation 4 cannot. Hmm, we might have to make a "features comparison matrix."

post-2410-0-68122300-1525872459_thumb.jpg

I've read a fair amount of complaining on here about modern systems that require an internet connection, or don't have physical media. From all the people who are enamored of the retro-style design, what are your thoughts about that?

When a machine requires an internet connection and likely a credit card or at least some codes and passwords, how is that any simpler for "Mom" or the "no Pi for me" crowd?

• Like 1

Yay for confusion! I explicitely wrote 2600 above just to not mix up the old VCS with the new VCS. So yes, I was suggesting a licensed game cartridge for the Atari 2600, somehow based on Netflix properties, to be released before the "new" Atari VCS which will allow you to watch Netflix.

• Like 3

Yay for confusion! I explicitely wrote 2600 above just to not mix up the old VCS with the new VCS. So yes, I was suggesting a licensed game cartridge for the Atari 2600, somehow based on Netflix properties, to be released before the "new" Atari VCS which will allow you to watch Netflix.

Ah, so you did. The notion of running *anything* to do with Netflix on Atari 2600 breaks my brain, which is probably why I leaped ahead to the "future" Atari.

There's a retro-style game for Stranger Things but it looks more like a SNES game. There are a TON of ideas for a game among their original properties, none of which are any dumber than some of the licensed games on the vintage 2600.

Streaming video on the old 2600 would be .... really something. How about audio only? "Use your imagination like never before!"

• Like 1