IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

The real Atari, the ancient Atari was a gamer's company. It was jam packed with engineers and programmers that had nothing but designing, coding, and development on their minds. I'm sorry, I just don't see that in present-day atari. If it's there; please enlighten me and show me the way!

I'm so sick of this "if you build it, they will come" mentality that virtually all mee-too upstarts in the video game business have. You build a piece of hardware from a common ARM SOAC that costs at most a couple bucks and has processing capabilities on par with an Xbox 360 or PS3, add HDMI and a couple of USB ports, install a modified version of Android with a front end of your own design, cram it in a flashy looking case, do a kickstarted to generate interest, then indie and AAA developers alike will come flocking to you to develop games for it.

This business model came and went starting with Ouya in 2013, and the revolution quietly fizzled and died. Of all the Android consoles to come after it, only the Nvidia Shield has been even moderately successful. None put a dent in the big 3 game companies who invested millions into R&D as well as advertising. It takes real work and manpower to launch a successful console. Even Google and Amazon released set top boxes and failed to stir this niche market.

So all of this publicity hailing AtariBox as the second coming is setting up for disappointment. At best it will be another Ouya. At worst it will be dead on arrival if it comes to fruition at all. Another orphaned hardware without games...

• Like 1

Seriously, Kosmic could have just pointed out it was a Spinal Tap reference instead of rambling on for half a page, but I don't think the guy ever met a cultural reference he didn't miss.

You know, I didn't see the movie (but added it to my long bucket list of cult movies to see before I die) but it doesn't change the initial meaning of the phrase popularized by the movie. Volume pots go from 0 to 10 but the numbers are arbitrary. 11 is simply the next level. It's pushing an engine above the redline. Overclocking a CPU. Making extraordinary claims that cannot possibly be backed up in real life. No need to diss me because I was too young to see it or even born yet when it came to theaters.

zzip, on 20 Jul 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

The joke being 10 means "max volume", so the band was swindled by an amp manufacturer that decided to print 11 on their amps to make them seem louder

Or just installed a custom faceplate with an extra tick mark printed on the overlay and ending with 11 instead of 10. :P
By that metric, my Sony stereo amp in my living room goes to 74. I don't think I've ever cranked the Polks beyond 60 though, which is insanely loud for my smallish living room... :music:
  • Like 1

How about one of these instead?

post-29022-0-50336000-1302401461.jpg

Ha! I remember this, as well as the coffee table NES controller that came out around the same time:

nintendo-controller-coffee-table1-640x53

It somewhat inspired me to build my own arcade box. The NES one was 18x8x4 inches, quite a bit larger than the original NES pad, but still a manageable form factor... ;-)

31480921136_ea98c4587a_b.jpg

joystick_envy_by_stardust4ever-d5vq08m.j

"We’re not teasing you intentionally; we want to get this right, so we’ve opted to share things step by step as we bring Ataribox to life, and to listen closely to Atari community feedback as we do so. There are a lot of milestones, challenges and decision points in front of us in the months ahead"

I'm glad that they are planning a listen and build approach, that said, it is hard to provide feedback without even knowing what they currently plan the device to be. Unless you know that, it's hard to comment on . ie You need some kind of base point to start discussion on

Edited by vcoleiro1
  • Like 1

I'm glad that they are planning a listen and build approach, that said, it is hard to provide feedback without even knowing what they currently plan the device to be. Unless you know that, it's hard to comment on . ie You need some kind of base point to start discussion on

You're right, but at this point they can still gather information. The users of this forum (and many others) have been floating ideas out there since the first announcement. It's easy to see which ideas resonate more than others. It's easy to get a feel for what people might want.

I think it is safe to say that nobody thinks running Android is a good idea. It's been done and it really limits the games that can be played on it to apps. And without Google Play integration or their own, very robust, custom App Store there is not much chance of it succeeding.

They already said it's PC architecture, so that leaves Windows or a Linux variant.

Edited by The Historian

You know, I didn't see the movie (but added it to my long bucket list of cult movies to see before I die) but it doesn't change the initial meaning of the phrase popularized by the movie. Volume pots go from 0 to 10 but the numbers are arbitrary. 11 is simply the next level. It's pushing an engine above the redline. Overclocking a CPU. Making extraordinary claims that cannot possibly be backed up in real life. No need to diss me because I was too young to see it or even born yet when it came to theaters.

A rude and assholish post on his part, for sure.

Don't make anything of it. He likes trying to bother me too. But it doesn't work well because I'm really really busy finishing up my Mini-Labs science kit collection! It's all consuming!!! Ahhhhh!!! And when I'm done with that I might alphabetize my Apple II expansion card collection.

• Like 1

And yet some folks continue to claim android. Well hell.. If it's PC, then just buy a damned PC, you'll get more.

That's the answer to literally every question when it comes to these things, but I think we can also agree that there's some appeal to something that's a bit more plug and play, walled in, and designed to be usable by the everyman. That's certainly why today's consoles still have so much appeal.

I think it's fair to say that while Apple products certainly appeal to vanity/style, they're also extremely functional, i.e., it's possible to be both.

My wife works for them, ugh. She's risen through the corporate (sludge) ranks for several years, to the point that they are wanting to send her to the Caribbean to do some set ups & training.

We get most of their stuff on the house, naturally, though I never touch the phones and prefer my 'old' Windows that now sits in storage. I use the various tablets, but only for reading in bed at night and the occasional film.

Between the NDAs, popcorn machines in the lobby, and creepy 'summer family picnics', I often wonder what might be under the surface.....maybe they've got my house bugged and they've got some sort of Logan's Run/Heaven's Gate scene going on in the sub-basements.....

:ponder:

Ok, the popcorn/cotton candy machines & random free dinners are nice touches.

• Like 2

I think it's fair to say that while Apple products certainly appeal to vanity/style, they're also extremely functional, i.e., it's possible to be both.

It's possible - but Apple has been failing miserably at it lately.

I've been using Macs for nearly 30 years, and I've never been more frustrated with their current product lineup or the way they treat creative professional and educational customers than I am right now.

But at least they aren't making hats with speakers in them.

Yet. :roll:

As an aside to keep mildly on-topic - Atari isn't making the hats. They're made by Audiowear. Atari is putting their logo on it. Sort of like the Gameband - someone else's product with Atari branding slapped on it.

That said, if the Atari hat connected to the Gameband so I could have the sounds from a game on my watch coming out of my hat... well then you'd have something!

You'd look like a complete idiot, but probably no more so than the people walking around with their faces buried in their smartphones.

• Like 2

And yet some folks continue to claim android. Well hell.. If it's PC, then just buy a damned PC, you'll get more.

That's the answer to literally every question when it comes to these things, but I think we can also agree that there's some appeal to something that's a bit more plug and play, walled in, and designed to be usable by the everyman. That's certainly why today's consoles still have so much appeal.

Yeah, the real trick here is getting a functional interface to said PC to fit in such a tiny case. I've tried doing a few mini-ITX cases, but you always end up with something that gets overly hot or way too loud, or totally under performing. Getting something powerful crammed into a case without making it loud is a skill your average build a PC person lacks. Guess you can try water cooling, but that makes it very huge and non-console like again... Even the PS4 (I have the original, seems they made it better in the Slim) is really loud when it gets stressed.

My wife works for them, ugh. She's risen through the corporate (sludge) ranks for several years, to the point that they are wanting to send her to the Caribbean to do some set ups & training.

We get most of their stuff on the house, naturally, though I never touch the phones and prefer my 'old' Windows that now sits in storage. I use the various tablets, but only for reading in bed at night and the occasional film.

Between the NDAs, popcorn machines in the lobby, and creepy 'summer family picnics', I often wonder what might be under the surface.....maybe they've got my house bugged and they've got some sort of Logan's Run/Heaven's Gate scene going on in the sub-basements.....

:ponder:

Ok, the popcorn/cotton candy machines & random free dinners are nice touches.

Ha, I am starting to think most companies that were founded around Silicon Valley tend to be this way. Oddly I think Atari was one of the companies that set the tone there in the 70s. Too bad most of them don't have Friday night binge parties like they did though.

• Like 1

It's possible - but Apple has been failing miserably at it lately.

I've been using Macs for nearly 30 years, and I've never been more frustrated with their current product lineup or the way they treat creative professional and educational customers than I am right now.

But at least they aren't making hats with speakers in them.

Yet. :roll:

As an aside to keep mildly on-topic - Atari isn't making the hats. They're made by Audiowear. Atari is putting their logo on it. Sort of like the Gameband - someone else's product with Atari branding slapped on it.

That said, if the Atari hat connected to the Gameband so I could have the sounds from a game on my watch coming out of my hat... well then you'd have something!

You'd look like a complete idiot, but probably no more so than the people walking around with their faces buried in their smartphones.

I told a guy I work with about the Speaker Hat, and we had a great laugh.

Technically I can make/take phone calls from my watch, but I also feel like an idiot when I do so. Pretty sure if I was talking to my hat it'd be even worse.

• Like 1

Yes, no headphone jack, no USB-A port (what if you want to use a Square reader with the new iPad, or charge and listen to headphones simultaneously?), because adding the ports in would break the contour lines of the device. That's form over function if there ever was such a thing.

Those oversize lifesize joysticks are nothing but artsy fartsy exercises in stupidity.

The coffee table NES and stripper pole VCS joystick for sure are more conversation starters than practical controllers.

But my slightly smaller but still oversized plywood joystick versions are a blast to use! :grin:

• Like 2

I told a guy I work with about the Speaker Hat, and we had a great laugh.

Technically I can make/take phone calls from my watch, but I also feel like an idiot when I do so. Pretty sure if I was talking to my hat it'd be even worse.

Speakers in your hat. Microphones on your wrist. Computer in your pocket. Displays on your feet. Leave it to the tech industry to take your money and make you look stupid all at the same time.

The coffee table NES and stripper pole VCS joystick for sure are more conversation starters than practical controllers.

But my slightly smaller but still oversized plywood joystick versions are a blast to use! :grin:

When I play Atari Assault I wield a big set of controls. Nothing like a burly stick to keep that gameplay going.

Atari Assault is really quite the game in how you can slide the two sticks one way or another to roll. Or spread'em wide and lob that bomb half-way across the playfield.

• Like 1

Yes, no headphone jack, no USB-A port (what if you want to use a Square reader with the new iPad, or charge and listen to headphones simultaneously?), because adding the ports in would break the contour lines of the device. That's form over function if there ever was such a thing.

There's a such a thing as taking it too far. When you sacrifice functionality like charging and using at the same time, you fail. And these devices spend 90% of their life in a case which hides the ports and any "contour disruption" anyways.

And sometimes at later dates it could be added back in, and its heralded as a breakthrough. And all the Apple Fanbois clamor over the castle walls to get it.

Yeah, the real trick here is getting a functional interface to said PC to fit in such a tiny case. I've tried doing a few mini-ITX cases, but you always end up with something that gets overly hot or way too loud, or totally under performing. Getting something powerful crammed into a case without making it loud is a skill your average build a PC person lacks. Guess you can try water cooling, but that makes it very huge and non-console like again... Even the PS4 (I have the original, seems they made it better in the Slim) is really loud when it gets stressed.

Ha, I am starting to think most companies that were founded around Silicon Valley tend to be this way. Oddly I think Atari was one of the companies that set the tone there in the 70s. Too bad most of them don't have Friday night binge parties like they did though.

I think the attitude was a little more tempered and measured back then. Things were more carefully thought out before product release. Had to be.

Today far more people can go to SV and shout with a voice they have a world-changing product. If they fail, they can try again and again. Cluttering up the internet with noise.

---

About silent PCs. It's almost like an art, building a power machine you cannot hear. This means no motors or other moving parts.

Silent PCs are elegant and it's all I really build these days. You can make them from i7s without too much bother.