IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Just a quick question here? A Walter Mitty on another forum has stated the VCS will have a collective Atari 8bit games showcasing on the system? Is there any substance to this ? As I hate reading fabricated BS and if not their ass will have to be served yet again.

• Like 1

Speaking of BS, has there been any evidence of any appearance by the box pushers at E3, or did all their double talk just amount to them maybe being at the event and trying to get anyone to listen to them or take their card? Were they stopped at the door by the bouncer?

• Like 4

Just a quick question here? A Walter Mitty on another forum has stated the VCS will have a collective Atari 8bit games showcasing on the system? Is there any substance to this ? As I hate reading fabricated BS and if not their ass will have to be served yet again.

It will come with Atari Vault, a $10 value. The 2600 is an 8bit system, so this is technically true. https://store.steampowered.com/app/400020/Atari_Vault/

Misleading though, as our gang thinks "computer" when talking about "Atari 8-bit" (Atari 400, 800 specifically)

The person answering comments on their IGG campaign specifically stated, a few days ago, that was the only confirmed game at this time.

Walter Mitty is famous in literature for his fantastic daydreams. He has a rich inner life that sometimes clashes with reality.

• Like 4

I believe the Atari 8 bit claim made elsewhere suggested that it had been confirmed by the developers that as well as Atari 2600 and Arcade games, we would be seeing classic Atari 400/800/XL/XE titles...

But didn't name any or give a link to any P.R statement made by the developers.

So it was practically impossible to ground in reality based on what was said.

Hopefully they will come, but there would be issues regarding who owns the rights now in many cases i guess?.

They also seem more than happy to let people believe what they want to hear. "Yes, we will pass that along! This is only the beginning."

16 days remain in the campaign, for them to add more people (it has flatlined) or for smart cookies to come to their senses and back out while they can get a refund. If AtariBox amounts to anything it should be available in July, and in the meantime that $200+ could be used for more worthwhile pursuits, such as Mexican cuisine and cerveza.

• Like 4

I think they were too busy suing people to get to E3. It seems they weren't just picking on Shinto: Atari sues Redbubble for trademark and copyright infringement

According to the article there were people on there selling Asteroids/Pong/etc T-shirts, which is a great way to get sued. Looks like Atari sued the site and the site took down everything that had the Atari tag, no matter how small.

Backerkit still isn't tracking such low numbers. If my numbers are right, then yesterday was the lowest yet: $3139.

Something must be going on with Backerkit because looking at the backers they sold at least 26 consoles yesterday. Still, totally pathetic numbers and about half of those were "anonymous" so who knows if they are legit or not

Something must be going on with Backerkit because looking at the backers they sold at least 26 consoles yesterday. Still, totally pathetic numbers and about half of those were "anonymous" so who knows if they are legit or not

They sold 26 consoles? Or did they gain 26 backers that may have bought either consoles or joysticks?

26 consoles would mean a minimum of $5174 (26*$199).

They sold 26 consoles? Or did they gain 26 backers that may have bought either consoles or joysticks?

26 consoles would mean a minimum of $5174 (26*$199).

Closer to $9,000 since the consoles backed say they were $300+ If you click on the backer list it'll show you how much they spent

I don't know. The Backerkit total was really close to the IGG total when I checked this morning. It's too bad we can't see cancellations. The backer numbers also seem to include shipping. I don't know where the discrepancy between the total they show on the main page and the total they show when you click "more" (under Project Owner) comes from either--over an $800,00 difference.

Anyway, I certainly agree that yesterday's numbers are still bad.

I don't know. The Backerkit total was really close to the IGG total when I checked this morning. It's too bad we can't see cancellations. The backer numbers also seem to include shipping. I don't know where the discrepancy between the total they show on the main page and the total they show when you click "more" (under Project Owner) comes from either--over an $800,00 difference.

Anyway, I certainly agree that yesterday's numbers are still bad.

Yeah in essence we are debating whether the Titanic sank in 90 minutes or 95 minutes. At the end of the day, it still sank

• Like 7

The mindset of these backers is really strange to me. It's like the only backers they can be getting are either really easy marks, Koo-Koo for AtariPuffs and feel like they are supporting some historic effort :sleep: , of they're first time backers that don't know how these crowdfunding things work. If this thing ever exists in reality, they're guaranteed to offer it up for sale through their site as they end production. These things always do, cuz these guys don't want to leave money on the table. I haven't seen one of these get to production without offering it up for a special early purchase price that wasn't the same or so close to the original backer price that it pissed off backers who had money in from the beginning. So rather than just agree to order one once they know something about it, and it's likely to be shipped, these backers are lapping up the snake oil routine, believing the tired lies about exclusive early pricing, and choosing to provide high risk, no interest loans for a year to infinity. It just proves the adage about a fool and his money.

• Like 6

Again, they "left the market" (equal to getting out of the gaming business). Now, we can do the semantics game regarding bankruptcy. However, "running out of money" equals broke/bankrupt in my and a lot of other peoples mind. If they didn't file (legal) bankruptcy, good for them. However, the original Atari that existed from 1972 to 1996 went the way of the dodo and eventually was picked off of the scrap heap. Same (more or less) for Coleco as well. If you don't see it my way, totally fine. But please, let's not have excessive drinking of Atari SA Kool-Aid. We can all deal without that.

No, I'm saying they left the market before running out of money; you left out the key word.

Leaving the market is not same as going bankrupt. Atari Corp did not file for chapter 11 or chapter 7, nor were they forced to by their creditors. They were in trouble, but they found a way out. I'm sure their investors were disappointed when they merged with JTS; I'm sure their employees were saddened to loose a job they'd given their life to, but merging gave their investors some return & their employees got a final check. In bankruptcy those wouldn'tve been guaranteed.

I respect the way Atari Corp left the market. I hate that it happened, but it was better than bankruptcy.

I don't want to invest in the new Atari, but I cannot sit by & let a false claim besmirch the old company; they did not go bankrupt.

(Hopefully this isn't too strongly worded. I know the emphasis was on an investor's view; what they'd think of the company. I just find bankruptcy a really bad end for a company; worse than simply shutting down. It irritates me for someone to say Atari went bankrupt when they didn't until the Infogrames took on the name. Peace to you. :))

lol. It would be awesome to see a drawing of an AtariPuffs cereal with magic marshmallows shaped like classic game icons and a free toy inside. Sounds like a lot of work though.

Naturally, the mascot would be a pigeon.

With all the screwball cereals over the years, I would've thought they already did that, but not quite as near as I can tell.

Nintendo+Cereal.jpgneatoshop_susuwatari-cereal_1515384861.f045g.jpg

tumblr_nrx8kyladx1s3zerco1_1280.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

donkeykong-1.jpg

18j0r5m7xzhy7jpg.jpg

Then there's this music group that seems to be named after the current project...

51b1ogJp5HL._SS500.jpg

And of course, the obligatory....

TIAB-Breakfast-4x6-FR-2-2-780x1147.jpg

• Like 6

I suspect the "totes" information that displays when you click the "more" hyperlink, probably represents the "total commerce" amount pledged to the campaign, including those who have pledged, but later withdrew for whatever reason OR perhaps those who altered their pledge to a different pledge tier, which might be up or down. (I suspect there were many who pledged for the console, but instead opted for just the controllers as a wait-and-see, until there was more information or considered that an acceptable level of risk, or decided, Atari joy-stick, eh, I'm good.) I'm sure IGG probably keeps track of those kind of stats, but unfortunately we're not privileged to them. icon_razz.gif

'Again, they "left the market" (equal to getting out of the gaming business). Now, we can do the semantics game regarding bankruptcy. However, "running out of money" equals broke/bankrupt in my and a lot of other peoples mind. If they didn't file (legal) bankruptcy, good for them. However, the original Atari that existed from 1972 to 1996 went the way of the dodo and eventually was picked off of the scrap heap. Same (more or less) for Coleco as well. If you don't see it my way, totally fine. But please, let's not have excessive drinking of Atari SA Kool-Aid. We can all deal without that.'

Again, Atari Corp did not run out of money; if they had they wouldn'tve been able to merge with JTS; JTS needed Atari's cash to stay in business.

I'm willing to argue semantics on this; what our words mean is important. Bankruptcy has a specific meaning. It's a legal way to discharge a person's debts when there's no way to pay them off. Atari Corp was in bad shape, but they weren't in bad enough shape to be forced into bankruptcy. The fact they left the market also does not equate bankruptcy; if it did we could say every business which closed in bad times went bankrupt, which would be an insult to the business which were able to pay their debts before closing.

And, again, that's separate from a certain French company which bought a bunch of companies without any apparent strategy, & was forced into bankruptcy.

• Like 1

Again, Atari after 1996 was done. If they didn't go full on 'legal' bankrupt is beyond the point.

Please recall my original statement: "Is Sega still the same as (presumably most) grew up with as a console manufacturer, no. However, Sega decided to quit the console business and become a 3rd party gaming studio, so it has continued on as a company without totally being bankrupt and out of the gaming business like 3DO, Atari, etc. So, in that regard Sega is still Sega, but just not manufacturing consoles anymore. Sound fair?"

My point was that Sega decided to quit the console business and become a 3rd party developer and therefore different than others like 3DO, Atari, and Coleco that went bust and are/were out of the gaming business. Sorry, but I believe the viewpoint is valid even if Atari did not go full on, nine alarm bankrupt. For all intents and purposes, they did.

But, I do acknowledge and accept that Atari (1972-1996) did not go full on legal bankrupt as you have pointed out. I accept that. However, there is no denying they were out of the video game business, broke as a joke, and picked off of the scrap heap to be reborn into a new entity. Therefore, lets see if Atari SA can actually deliver on the Atari VCS, which I (personally) highly doubt, but I could be (happily) proven wrong.

I'm willing to argue semantics on this; what our words mean is important. Bankruptcy has a specific meaning. It's a legal way to discharge a person's debts when there's no way to pay them off. Atari Corp was in bad shape, but they weren't in bad enough shape to be forced into bankruptcy. The fact they left the market also does not equate bankruptcy; if it did we could say every business which closed in bad times went bankrupt, which would be an insult to the business which were able to pay their debts before closing.

And, again, that's separate from a certain French company which bought a bunch of companies without any apparent strategy, & was forced into bankruptcy.

Shall we just agree on the term defunct rather than bankrupt? Bankruptcy is legal and financial nomenclature that doesn't really have bearing on a company's actual capabilities. Plenty of companies declare bankruptcy and continue operations. Others cease operations and never file for financial distress protections. In any case, Atari was defunct before Hasbro bought the brand and rights to IP.

'They's not bankrupt'! 'They's passed on! This Atari is no more! They has ceased to be! 'They's expired and gone to meet they're maker! 'They's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'de rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'em to the perch 'de'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Their metabolic processes are now 'history! 'De's off the twig! 'De's kicked the bucket, 'De's shuffled off 'their mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! De's f*ckin' snuffed it!..... THIS IS AN EX-ATARI!!

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 5