IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I can't imagine where the confusion came from...

attachicon.gifits-not-a-paddle.jpg

I was going to point out that in 2015 CNET wrote a hopeful article about "hands on" with the Skarp Laser Razor, but it's actually the same author. :lolblue: :o

A year after that article, that very writer also gave an update that sounds reminiscent of a certain company bringing on Rob Wyatt:

If you're one of the roughly 2,700 backers who was hoping to shave with lasers by now, this news isn't terribly encouraging. For the rest of us, though, [founder of British shaving brand King of Shaves Will] King's involvement sounds promising.

Spoilers: May 2018 was their latest update and has more excuses and "strategic manufacturing partners" that are helping. It was scheduled to ship in Dec. 2016.

For those who haven't followed Skarp's tale, it reached an Atari-fantasizing $4 million dollars before it was canceled on Kickstarter. They had no prototype and Kickstarter wanted none of that nonsense. Naturally, as Wired reports, it was up over on Indiegogo the very same day.

• Like 3

Any mathematician worth his salt will have worked out the probabilities of winning lotteries and won't enter them. The pseudo-scientific practice of spotting partial sequences in random data falls under the realms of numerology. You should therefore be surprised that a numerologist didn't win it. :)

So actually there are rare instances where your $1.00 will buy you better odds than normal... For example, if you bought 100 random tickets your odds were equal to having bought 101 tickets. There was an article years ago that laid it out. I don't recall, the exact numbers. And don't forget about joan Ginther http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation_world/How_lottery_legend_Joan_Ginther_used_odds_Uncle_Sam_to_win_millions.html

• Like 1

I can't imagine where the confusion came from...

attachicon.gifits-not-a-paddle.jpg

This is where we post a picture of Darth Vader with impact font saying "pray I don't alter the deal any further" like the kids like.*

*please don't actually post a picture of Darth Vader with impact font saying "Pray I don't alter the deal any further." Memes tend to be dumb.

• Like 2

So actually there are rare instances where your $1.00 will buy you better odds than normal... For example, if you bought 100 random tickets your odds were equal to having bought 101 tickets. There was an article years ago that laid it out. I don't recall, the exact numbers. And don't forget about joan Ginther http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation_world/How_lottery_legend_Joan_Ginther_used_odds_Uncle_Sam_to_win_millions.html

Yeah, there are certainly some ways to beat the odds but they generally require more than looking at sequences in the results.

A Canadian statistician famously managed to crack a lottery by analysis of the serial numbers on the tickets although, presumably having worked out that the benefits of exploiting it would be marginal, decided to come clean about how it could be done:

https://www.wired.com/2011/01/ff-lottery/

I've actually seen it offline or loading really slowly on various days during the last year, though never this long. I figure they're trying to revive GeoCities as their next zombie IP. :grin:

They'll just help themselves to the name, claiming it's been abandoned by Yahoo and officially abandonware up for grabs and they don't need to pay any royalties or fees or anything of any kind.

• Like 1

This is where we post a picture of Darth Vader with impact font saying "pray I don't alter the deal any further" like the kids like.*

*please don't actually post a picture of Darth Vader with impact font saying "Pray I don't alter the deal any further." Memes tend to be dumb.

e6yMk5J.png

• Like 4

I love(d) SEGA, but the things that made SEGA what they were are, for the most part, long gone.

Yeah, that's true >.<

Though to their credit, they seem to have been making a sort of comeback. Sega has been doing a lot of cool stuff lately. o:

I'd like to think that Sega have too much sense to do something like this.

So far, they have. Sega had numerous chances to go full retard by embracing the various "Dreamcast 2" projects suggested by their fan base.... and each time, Sega refuses to touch it. Sega has done a lot of stupid things, but that decision was SMART.

Now that AtGames is in league with both Sega and Atari, I wonder if some sort of combo unit could be in order? It would put a new spin on the extremely tired flashback concept.

• Like 6

Sega does not have the financial capability to launch a console. It's been discussed numerous several times throughout this thread about how expensive launching (and supporting) a console is, and how the Xbox brand bled loads of money for money years before it finally turned a profit and how Microsoft (much to the chagrin of their investors & shareholders) decided to stand behind it and keep weathering the losses it was causing.

If any company could possibly have a chance at succeeding, it needs to be a gigantic company with deep pockets like Samsung, Google, Apple, etc. Companies like Nutari and Sega simply are not financially capable.

While Sega does have a nice collection of IP's, they're not even close enough to carry a system and most people won't be able to justify or want to spend hundreds of dollars on a console just to play a new Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Space Harrier, or Columns game, or another disastrous 3D Sonic game. Sega's in a good spot now, a third party developer. Release the games on PS4 and Xbox One, the consoles that everybody already owns. No need to create expensive hardware to deliver their handful of IPs to the public when they can just get them released on the PS4 or Xbox One. (I don't agree, but I fully understand why theres a vocal group of people that want Nintendo to go third party developer especially if you're just buying Nintendo's consoles to just play their first party games it'd be cheaper to not have to spend $300 just to buy a console just for Nintendo's first party games. And also since Nintendo will probably never create a traditional console ever again like the Gamecube, N64, or SNES and I would much prefer that over the gimmicks that they came up for with the Wii, Wii U and Switch)

And another thing that's also been discussed to death so far, theres a difference between launching, and supporting a console. If Nutari manages to actually release the VCS, it's going to have a majorly decrepit ghost town of an ecosystem (I'll stop now because i'm preaching to the choir at this point)

So far, they have. Sega had numerous chances to go full retard by embracing the various "Dreamcast 2" projects suggested by their fan base.... and each time, Sega refuses to touch it. Sega has done a lot of stupid things, but that decision was SMART.

Now that AtGames is in league with both Sega and Atari, I wonder if some sort of combo unit could be in order? It would put a new spin on the extremely tired flashback concept.

Sega isn't financially capable of successfully launching a console, and as already been stated doing so in this current environment in this day & age will be next to impossible with how established Sony and Microsoft are at this point. Out of the Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Saturn, Dreamcast, and the addons the CD and 32X, the only one that was a success was the Genesis (With the Master System having success in some random places like Brazil and Australia and the Game Gear having somewhat acceptable sales despite it's high price compared to the Game Boy and the Saturn had a brief period of success in Japan at it's launch. All of those minor successes from their other consoles though is minuscule in the grand scheme of things and all the systems are still considered massive commercial failures when it's all said and done)
What makes people think Sega is going to be successful in this day & age against Sony and Microsoft when they pretty much failed with every other console that they ever made? Same thing with Atari, 50 billion consoles released and only one (The 2600) had any success in the grand scheme. Why would you expect Atari be able to put up any success against PS4 and Xbox One (rhetorical question, everyone here besides the shills already knows Nutari can't come close to touching Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo)
At this point, wishing for Sega to make a console is like wishing for another 3rd party developer like Capcom or Konami to make a console. The only difference is at this point is that Sega once upon a time was in the console business, which at this point in 2018 is completely irrelevant. I highly doubt there's very many people (or any at all) still with Sega that were with them "back in the day" when they made consoles.
I don't want to spend $200-400 on a console just to play Capcom games just like I don't want to spend that much on a console just to play Sega's games. Truth be told, Capcom has Monster Hunter which is massive in Japan. If anything, Capcom would have more chance at success at launching a console then Sega would solely because of Monster Hunter. But no, it's still a completely terrible, expensive, and unfeasible idea.

I'm one of the biggest Sega & Dreamcast fans ever and a Dreamcast 2 would make my heart flutter like nothing else, but looking at it objectively and logically without any bias or rose tinted glasses, it simply isn't feasible, nor is it a good idea, no matter how much "I really want it to happen"
Edited by Pink
  • Like 2

What makes people think Sega is going to be successful in this day & age against Sony and Microsoft when they pretty much failed with every other console that they ever made?

Mostly because Sega's fanbase is completely detached from reality. I don't mean you, specifically, but in the aggregate they're absolutely batshit crazy. You'd kind of have to be to have such fervent loyalty to a company whose good games in the past 20 years could be counted on one hand... and I mean the hand of a guy named "Jethro" who really likes fireworks.

• Like 8

AtGames, lol... I have no reason to trust AtGames. They would have to do something extravagant in order to earn my purchase.

On the other hand though, I'm definitely looking forward to Sega's collaboration with Retro-Bit. I can't WAIT to get my hands on that Bluetooth Dreamcast controller! > u < In a strange sort of way, it's almost like Sega's supporting their own hardware again for the first time in nearly 20 years.

Edited by Lodmot

I like AtGames, they have good distribution, lots of licenses, and their stuff has been improving lately. The Atari Flashback Portable was a wonderful surprise, and their HD Atari units last fall are fun. Wireless Atari controls with rewind and a ton of (legal!) games over HDMI is something I still marvel over.

Atari.com is still down. I don't visit them often, but has it really been several days as someone in their IGG stated?

• Like 2

AtGames, lol... I have no reason to trust AtGames. They would have to do something extravagant in order to earn my purchase.

On the other hand though, I'm definitely looking forward to Sega's collaboration with Retro-Bit. I can't WAIT to get my hands on that Bluetooth Dreamcast controller! > u < In a strange sort of way, it's almost like Sega's supporting their own hardware again for the first time in nearly 20 years.

I have no need to defend AtGames... but the difference between them and Atari is, AtGames has made stuff I want to buy.

• Like 9