IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I'd think that we'd all like Atari to partner up with the best indie developers to make high quality revamps of their classic IPs, but realistically they've only manged to do that successfully a couple of times in the past four years with Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic and Tempest 4000. Everything else in that vein just turned out to be dreadful or vanished without trace.

I don't think that making the VCS is going to do anything to change the fundamental problems with their business that's causing such a low hit rate either, because the problem isn't the lack of a platform. Rather, they just seem too willing to back bad projects and have a reputation for being difficult to work with that puts off many of the people who have managed to do something vaguely successful with them in the past.

• Like 6

ExtremeTech on the miniC64, with a mention of you-know-what as a side comment: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/274124-the-c64-mini-arrives-in-stores-this-fall-might-be-best-to-leave-it-there

I don't get that article, it's like a sea of wishy-washiness (or is it wishy-washitude? maybe wishy-washivity... Hmmm... anyway...)

It starts by suggesting in the headline that it's not recommended. Then it says it's not like it lacks good games, only to list the best games it lacks.

The article says it can side-load games via USB, but downplays the feature by complaining that it can only load one at a time. Oh, but it is much better than the original since you don't have to deal with the 1541's load times. But then again, it lacks a functional keyboard -- but you can plug in a USB one!

And finally, it categorically recommends not to get one. :?

I really don't get it. It's just like a real C=64, but cheaper and smaller, can play any of a number of built-in games (like a Flashback console), but also allows you to side-load any of a myriad d64 images you can find in the Interwebz, if only you could find a spare USB keyboard to plug into it...

Why exactly is that bad?

-dZ.

• Like 2

Because it's ugly, limited, and notably worse than easy, versatile, existing DIY solutions?

Fine, but the article didn't mention any of that. It mentioned some good features, then tempered them with minor complaints, then said "it sucks, don't get one, trust us." *shrug*

I'm not familiar with the product enough to know why it sucks and that article didn't help me make a decision, it just purported to make the decision for me.

-dZ.

• Like 1

It amazes me how many people buy ready made furniture, clothes sewed to fit, oven ready frozen meals etc, when all of these are well within reach for DIY.

Yeah those suckers are fools..

Im almost done building my homemade car from parts from scrapeyards...its cheaper than buying them from those sharklike dealerships!

• Like 2

It amazes me how many people buy ready made furniture, clothes sewed to fit, oven ready frozen meals etc, when all of these are well within reach for DIY.

:lol:

I think that throwing some ROMs on a Pi (not exactly a homespun item) is more like microwaving a frozen dinner than real cooking or sewing.

The C64 mini is like a $12 ballpark frankfurter, only without the atmosphere of the ballgame.

• Like 3

Because it's ugly, limited, and notably worse than easy, versatile, existing DIY solutions?

True, except for the fact that not everyone knows how to "DIY". Someone's dad might want one of these if he has memories playing those games as a kid, but he might be a football coach or something and doesn't know how to build it. I dunno.

I think there's a market for these re-released consoles, they just need to be done right. I have my doubts with the VCS, but it could be awesome if it lands with the right exclusives. o w o

• Like 1

Perhaps the Raspberry Pi is the equivalent to IKEA, compared to all the expensive solutions offered by other furniture stores. Often I can't see the benefits of paying $1000 for an assembled kitchen table if you can get a DIY one for $200.

The article was fine to me. Nothing wrong with listing the good games not included; it's been decades and the list might jog one's memories. The author seems to think the c64 could serve fans better rather than be a blatant cash grab. But, at least they aren't crowdfunding it.

Also, in case you missed it in another thread, ColecoVision is back because CollectorVision licensed the logo to brand their retro console with.

• Like 4

:lol:

I think that throwing some ROMs on a Pi (not exactly a homespun item) is more like microwaving a frozen dinner than real cooking or sewing.

The C64 mini is like a $12 ballpark frankfurter, only without the atmosphere of the ballgame.

I dunno. I kinda like what I've seen of the C64 mini so far. Attach a keyboard, built in C64 basic, ability to save anything you program via flash, load other C64 roms via flash... Honestly its the only Plug and Play I'm interested in right now.

• Like 3

Actually the C64 Mini was kind of crowdfunded in that they promised two products but so far have delivered a third, different product. Obviously people get upset if they don't get what they paid for, but at least they got something so far and it has been promised that the products first advertised will be released later on.

• Like 2

I dunno. I kinda like what I've seen of the C64 mini so far. Attach a keyboard, built in C64 basic, ability to save anything you program via flash, load other C64 roms via flash... Honestly its the only Plug and Play I'm interested in right now.

It would be a lot more interesting to me if the fugly shell actually served a purpose. It's possible I don't feel nostalgia for the "breadbox" case like others might.

I would think that anyone who could work a C64 could follow these simple instructions and roll their own while waiting for the C64 mini. They might find that they already have what they wanted, and more.

The Pi Lizard's C64 image, with working modem

Combian64 - readymade C64 image

I haven't done this myself, but Pi Lizard's setup seems like the one to beat.

Features include:

1- Nice illusion of a real c64. No Raspbian messages flying by during boot-up and shutdown. You just go straight into the vice emulation and when you exit, the pi shuts itself off. Everything you see is c64 fonts and colors, including the bootsplash version. Linux is invisible beneath. Feels like a "modern" C64.

2- Wifi networking is enabled. You can use your favorite term software to log on to a variety of real c64 BBS services, just like the good old days, only through telnet addresses over the internet, rather than the phone line.

3- The screen resolution has been adjusted with care. I use native c64 resolution for the underlying linux operating system as well as the emulator. The result is a clean looking, non-pixelated, non-blocky looking video output. This result is a very natural, easy on the eyes, convincing crisp but not too crisp display.

I hooked up my real c64c to color compare on a video monitor next to my Pi on a 22" 1080p sabre wide flat screen and found I actually preferred the Pi display as it appeared very clean while keeping a native feel. Especially nice for flat screen computer monitors 22" and smaller, but larger screens I have tried it on including a 48" 1080p television and a 55" 4k television look great as well. Try it and see for yourself.

The article was fine to me. Nothing wrong with listing the good games not included; it's been decades and the list might jog one's memories. The author seems to think the c64 could serve fans better rather than be a blatant cash grab. But, at least they aren't crowdfunding it.

Also, in case you missed it in another thread, ColecoVision is back because CollectorVision licensed the logo to brand their retro console with.

Yeah that forum is starting to become a dumpster fire because of it too.

It would be a lot more interesting to me if the fugly shell actually served a purpose. It's possible I don't feel nostalgia for the "breadbox" case like others might.

I would think that anyone who could work a C64 could follow these simple instructions and roll their own while waiting for the C64 mini. They might find that they already have what they wanted, and more.

The Pi Lizard's C64 image, with working modem

Combian64 - readymade C64 image

I haven't done this myself, but Pi Lizard's setup seems like the one to beat.

God damn you!!!! Now I have projects this weekend!

Yeah that forum is starting to become a dumpster fire because of it too.

Agree. I'm not posting about it again. I was interested in the Collectorvision at one time, but between the feuding over the super game module, the constant promises, teases, changing course, little apparent progress, and now, giving legal standing to a giant douchebag for licensing the logo, I'm over it.

• Like 2

The Pi is _not_ a piece of shit. It's a wonderful little nano-computer with one of the best user communities out there.

Are there more capable units? yes. I have more than a few.

If you have _any_ modicum of Google-Fu, you'll find a plethora of solutions to a whole multitude of problems, and the various solutions to them.

And especially with the 3b+, the RPi Foundation has at least partially addressed the I/O bottleneck problems that have been present in the Pi's design, from the beginning.

My latest Pi project involved building a modern PLATO terminal for my work with IRATA: total cost? $149 for the Pi, the display, the enclosure.

x2ay03F.jpg

sdDDWoN.jpg

(note the magnetic rails, allowing for screwless assembly)

PUS9DR9.jpg

(note the footprint) ;)

-Thom

• Like 6

Looks like someone had better call the spin doctor, am I right?

post-2410-0-42323300-1532625508.png

No seriously, this is a simple yes-or-no question, does the joystick function as a spinner too, as suggested in the animated gif on the page, as we wondered many weeks and dozens of pages ago?

giphy.gif

At least they now have their big tech guru Rob Wyatt of Tin Giant. I'm sure he's posted something to clear up this simple question once and for all.

post-2410-0-56623400-1532625684_thumb.png

Fun fact: Tin doesn't rust, because it contains no iron. So the Tin Giant can't be sleeping, so much for that excuse. Get your shit together, "Atari."

post-2410-0-39322000-1532626017.png

11 days since their last post. 16 since the big update. I doubt anyone would care if not for ...

post-2410-0-64495600-1532625805.png

No refunds!

• Like 3

All the B.S. about the stick working as a paddle or not has always been the single biggest confirmation for me that the stupid thing has never even been a functioning mockup yet. It's just plastic & lights like the rest. They should make their first prototype from legos.

• Like 6