IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Something is very wrong with their mail notifation system. For some reason a number of people who subed to it are not getting emails - including myself

I got the first email they sent out, but none of the others that came later incuding this latest one.

Look into your spam directory. That's where the Ataribox mail ended in my Gmail Account.

Will it have the oomph for Retroarch?

If it didn't, then there'd be a serious architectural bottleneck. I'm sure that's what the primary function of this device will be, as another in a seemingly infinite number of emulation box options. The AtariBox rising to become anything else (streaming box, modern gaming box, etc.) is the most extreme of longshots.

If it didn't, then there'd be a serious architectural bottleneck. I'm sure that's what the primary function of this device will be, as another in a seemingly infinite number of emulation box options. The AtariBox rising to become anything else (streaming box, modern gaming box, etc.) is the most extreme of longshots.

My nagging thought IS possible bottlenecks like the antivirus and security software that may be needed to protect accounts, unless it is all going to be in the cloud, which we all now know is dubious, especially on a budget. If usage is local, then you run into things like: why is Firefox making Kaspersky use 50% of my chip RAM and 99% of my harddisk RAM and still not happy? Too many unneeded apps and plugins running in the background? Adobe Acrobat and Real Times anyone? ...and more of the same. I am unclear how the big three and iphone iOS keep two-way information secure, although I have heard it has been an issue with xbox 360/one (and Android) in the past. Although, usually this is a long term product issue where these bottlenecks don't become obvious until a year after use.

Edit: I'm thinking that unless they have major streamlining management, 4GB of RAM for retroarch and another 3GB for everything else in the 2D world.

Assuming this thing doesn't pan out and that actual tooling exists, would AtGames even consider purchasing the tooling for use in future Flashbacks? Gotta admit, the case design is cool. Adding the joystick ports to the back would be cool too. - Okay, that's all I've got to add.

• Like 2

and the naivete continues, unabated, despite evidence being released that shows the shady nature of this whole project. Unbelievable.

-Thom

As does the cynicism...

It's simple. If they release the product, I may buy one. If they don't, I won't. I won't back any crowdfunding in the meantime, I never do.

• Like 3

Sweet, JJ Abrams is backing this?

Not until Episode 9 of That Ataribox Saga.

Feast your eyes on the inside of the Ataribox. What more can they do to prove it's the real deal. That's real silicon, wood and XR-7(™)

This is seriously funny stuff. Is that a video capture card I see in there? :lol:

Will it have the oomph for Retroarch?

It had better. Retroarch runs on a potato. Here's my favorite RetroArch machine at the moment. RetroArch also runs nicely on the Raspberry Pi 3.

My nagging thought IS possible bottlenecks like the antivirus and security software that may be needed to protect accounts, unless it is all going to be in the cloud, which we all now know is dubious, especially on a budget. If usage is local, then you run into things like: why is Firefox making Kaspersky use 50% of my chip RAM and 99% of my harddisk RAM and still not happy? Too many unneeded apps and plugins running in the background? Adobe Acrobat and Real Times anyone? ...and more of the same. I am unclear how the big three and iphone iOS keep two-way information secure, although I have heard it has been an issue with xbox 360/one (and Android) in the past. Although, usually this is a long term product issue where these bottlenecks don't become obvious until a year after use.

Edit: I'm thinking that unless they have major streamlining management, 4GB of RAM for retroarch and another 3GB for everything else in the 2D world.

How old is your computer, and WT actual F are you running Kaspersky? In my humble opinion, just based on what you've said, I suspect hardware is not the main problem there. :?

2GB is plenty for a machine like what Atari is proposing, but 4GB is more likely. The Raspberry Pi 3 has 1GB of memory. Retro games aren't particularly RAM hungry in my experience.

I'll pass. If it's successful on indiegogo, it won't be any more expensive later in retail (it just can't be any more expensive, and if anything it will be cheaper).

In the recent case of the GPD Win, the early adopters got early versions of the hardware, which were improved for the general retail release. The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

1*Uu1q74o20MCcc-svH-IIjw.jpeg

• Like 4

As does the cynicism...

It's simple. If they release the product, I may buy one. If they don't, I won't. I won't back any crowdfunding in the meantime, I never do.

I dunno, I'm excited to see where this goes. Atari's trying to get back into the console market again, and I think it's kinda cute.

And yes, I know it's not the same Atari...

Edited by Rhindle the Dragon
  • Like 1

2GB is plenty for a machine like what Atari is proposing, but 4GB is more likely. The Raspberry Pi 3 has 1GB of memory. Retro games aren't particularly RAM hungry in my experience.

Sorry that was brain-fart. I meant 4GHz, and I meant full-blown retroarch with bsnes set on high accuracy, which takes 3GHz itself.

How old is your computer, and WT actual F are you running Kaspersky? In my humble opinion, just based on what you've said, I suspect hardware is not the main problem there. :?

Conspiracy theories? Apparently, so far a witch hunt with no evidence, but I will talk no more of politics. Kaspersky topped the detection heuristics tests of several evaluators, similar to BitDefender, but some vile combination of Kaspersky and Firefox are a memory hog, since I have no problems with such things since I switched to Edge, which has its own flexibility issues.

The PC laptop is three years old, it was $500, it is 2.2GHz with 4GB of RAM. Not exactly cutting edge gaming PC but worked fine until lately when the fan started coming on more and more due to Kasperky/Mozilla frenzies.

Edit: No, its not the hardware, but I'm suspectting lots of spyware, adware and patches on whatever GIU browser it (that Ataribox) uses.

THAT Ataribox looks like a generic emulation/Flashback device (dig those dust-harboring grooves/vents!)

And in a completely different thread...

...I again frankly think the case designs are rather polarizing (and I HATE how dust collects in console boxes with ridges, and this is all ridges).

Do consoles that are stuffed into a closet really gather that much dust? :ponder:

• Like 4

All this talk makes me feel like I owned on already..

We've already gotten it, played with it, watched it fail and now it sits on our shelves with our other Atari gear?

Ha! If they do it right (SteamOS with a new 'skin', work with Valve, polish up some 'media things' like a Netflix, Amazon Video, etc program and make it more seamless than 'Gnome with Big Picture mode as default, and have it be a decent gaming machine performance wise they could have a winner.

Like the Steam Machine that should have been released when the 'release' happened. I still feel it was just Valve saying "well, here they are, do whatever." and then they never got promoted beyond the steam store.

• Like 2

I'm confused. So far, it seems to be targeting two niches. Atari fans who pay attention to everything Atari and Linux fans that pay attention to every computer that is pre-installed with Linux. So, why are they marketing it as a console with a reimagined look of this?:

1200px-Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg

When it would make more sense to market it as a computer that is a reimagined look of this?:

600px-Atari_800.jpg

• Like 1

I'm confused. So far, it seems to be targeting two niches. Atari fans who pay attention to everything Atari and Linux fans that pay attention to every computer that is pre-installed with Linux. So, why are they marketing it as a console with a reimagined look of this?:

1200px-Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg

When it would make more sense to market it as a computer that is a reimagined look of this?:

600px-Atari_800.jpg

Because Speaker Hat, thats why.

• Like 3