IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Yes, I do have to agree with you. Comparing the big boys (Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft) is not fair to Atari and the VCS. However, when you add everything up (as you did), the reasoning for this particular product to exist just doesn't make too much sense other than "me too!". But, others have done that in the past (Sony with the PS1 and Microsoft with the Xbox), too.

Its not fair to compare the mainstream consoles against a micro-console, or whatever the hell Atari is supposed to be making. A small company will never be able to compete on features, price, or exclusives with Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. And you have to remember these mainstream consoles are several years old, so they were originally $400- $500, and the price goes down every year as they get older, so now 5 years later they are $200 for the base console.

It's not fair to compare Atari to Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. It is fair to ask why does this console exist? If it has a reason to exist, then you can say it should cost less and include more, I understand why they can't do that. Atari can't be expected to sell the console for a loss, or get the price as low like the big companies can. So the real question is why does this console exist? And given that there are the mainstream consoles, flashback and classic consoles, and Raspberry Pi and other emulation options, this console doesn't have a reason to exist. You can get everything in a better form from somewhere else.

Edited by Hwlngmad

It's not fair to compare Atari to Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo.

You're absolutely correct, it's not fair at all.

In fact, only a complete idiot would do that.

post-2641-0-95103500-1542664867_thumb.jpg

So the real question is why does this console exist? And given that there are the mainstream consoles, flashback and classic consoles, and Raspberry Pi and other emulation options, this console doesn't have a reason to exist. You can get everything in a better form from somewhere else.

This is precisely what the point of my post was.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 11

Well, at least if it ever actually comes out, the backers can feel all warm and cozy with the fact that they paid more two years prior than all those compared consoles will be selling for when and if they ever see it. That semms like the sound investment advice Max is always proffering. Why pay less when it’s on a shelf when you can pay more now and not get it for two years, or ever?

• Like 4

We've been saying all along that there are better places to spend money than with AVCS. The big consoles just happen to do almost everthing the AVCS promises--except for Linux, natch.

In fact, the whole taco thing started with the very same premise that tacos would be money better spent:

All I know is that I have a future financial decision to make: AtariBox or tacos?

I'm going with tacos. They have a better chance of reaching production, and also taste better than plastic.

• Like 4

The only current console from any of the big 3 that I will ever own is the Nintendo Switch, and as it turns out, it's been pretty much a paperweight for me unfortunately.

Where they went wrong with it, is the fact that the console didn't do much of anything other than play games since its debut in March 2017. I've been mostly gaming on my custom-built "Sega"-themed PC rig.

Thankfully the advent of the new YouTube app fixes that for the Switch, but I barely care at this point, and it's still missing a web browser. Nintendo wanted to take on a gaming-centric attitude with the Switch, which is okay I suppose... But it was just simply missing too many key features for me to even care to play on it-- the Wii U had more features.

The PS4 doesn't have any exclusive content that excites me, and it's too much like a PC in many ways. The Xbox One pretty much IS a PC, and most (if not all) of its exclusives CAN be played on PC.

Consoles have gotten too complex, where it's to the point that I might as well just build a PC and game on that. So that's what I did. Lol...

One good thing I will mention about the PS4 is its controller-- it feels amazing to hold in my hands. But it's freaking hindered by its abysmal battery life. Seriously-- I bought two PS4 controllers specifically for playing PC games with them, and the batteries stopped holding a charge after like several months.

So, given all the above, that's why I got excited when I saw the Atari VCS and decided to jump on it. I figured that any team considering reviving the Atari brand name with a new console would have to be treading their steps very carefully and acting smart in their approach. They would know very well what they'd be getting themselves into with that kind of undertaking. So I was hopeful that the VCS would receive a lot of care and passion from these guys. After all, the outer casing certainly was appealing enough. When I saw that the team mates were industry veterans, it reassured me even MORE that this team knew what they were doing. There was no way they could mess it up.

Apparently my logic was flawed somewhere. The new "Atari" team is fumbling in their communication with us, and they're doing very little to instill confidence in everyone.

I still find it incredible how companies love killing themselves sometimes.

• Like 1

^ Suddenly I'm Hungry and have a good idea for food...

But that's not what I was about to taco 'bout.

People ask Why? And I have no answer for the why (anyone would need this),...But I think I Do have the What?...What it is...

Answer = A $150 Atari Logo!!!

Once that part's figured out I think you can "Do the Math" on everything else...

• Like 1

That's really werid , the IGG campaign says they got zero backers there.. It also only lists the funds they raised on another platform ( ie the $326K raised on Kickstarter)

Yet there is campaign updates on the IGG campaign. Weird

Edited by vcoleiro1

Yeah, there's a story there, I think they stopped the IGG and somehow transferred everything to Kickstarter. It all seems kinda slimy and I'd wager some of this will be addressed in the Feargal Mac vs Ataribox lawsuit. Gameband had prominent Atari branding for a long time until someone from Atari posted "we have revoked their license" in the Ataribox Facebook group. It's all in this monster thread, buried in the taco noise.

• Like 4

Okay. Let's see if I've got this straight.

For $239, I can pre-order a non-existent game console that may or may not ever ship (I'm thinking "the twelfth of never" as a likely ship date).

This doesn't include a controller, which is an additional $49. It will (hypothetically) come with Atari Vault pre-loaded, and supposedly it will also be able to play Tempest 4K.

So... that's two confirmed games. At least as far as anything can be considered "confirmed". After shipping, it's anyone's guess what the actual cost will be, but let's be charitable and say $299 for something you can plug in and play a game on.

And it has Netflix.

As a point of comparison, I was at Best Buy today.

For $199, they had a few PS4 consoles on hand, with Spider-Man as the pack-in game.

attachicon.gifdoes-whatever-atari-cant.jpg

The PS4 has (approximately) 1,835 games. Just a few more than the Ataribox.

Among them are Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 1-3 and Tempest 4K. So that's everything the Ataribox will supposedly play.

Oh, and you can watch Netflix on it.
And it has a controller included.

I bought mine online last night, and picked it up at the store during lunch. No lines. No waiting.

An actual, real, shipping, existing game console. With a AAA title included, and a controller, for $199.

I won't be buying a lot of games for it, but there are a few I want, and the price was right. And that's just the thing - the price hit the sweet spot, and there are tons of other games available for it, right now, including used games and bargain bin "Greatest Hits" titles. I picked up Gran Turismo Sport for $19.99.

And it's a Blu-ray player. So that's nice. It's a bit of a splurge, sure. But there's no end of content for it. And it looks like these are going to be all over the place. Oh, and you can get an X-Box One for the same price too.

Remind me again... why would anyone buy an Ataribox?

Psst... Feargal... ataribox.com still redirects to atarivcs.com. Just thinkin' maybe you should let the judge know.

Like I said, just apply some Atari decals on one of these, or be creative and make your own and ta da... an Ataribox....

• Like 2

The PS4 doesn't have any exclusive content that excites me, and it's too much like a PC in many ways. The Xbox One pretty much IS a PC, and most (if not all) of its exclusives CAN be played on PC.

Consoles have gotten too complex, where it's to the point that I might as well just build a PC and game on that. So that's what I did. Lol...

I can't understand this criticism of the Xbox that games are not exclusive because Microsoft has the game where you buy it once and can play it on PC and Xbox. Isn't this a good thing? PC gamers can get games without having to buy an Xbox, and Xbox gamers can play the game without dealing with PCs. With a smaller user base, the Xbox has difficulty getting exclusives, but if developers can release the game on Xbox and PC, then it is more appealing, so more games will be released on Xbox. The goal should be more games. The goal should not be making sure people don't feel like they wasted money on a console, because they can play that game on the PC they already own.

Consoles are for people who don't want to deal with PCs. I know consoles are becoming more PC like, and that is a becoming a concern. But there is still a huge difference between consoles and PC. I have never had to reinstall Windows on a Xbox, or deal with updates and drivers. (You select the Xbox updates, and they install and work without any issues). I don't know or care about frame rates, resolutions, graphics card settings, or any of that stuff. I sit in front of a computer at work for 8 hours a day, so the last thing I want to do is come home and sit in front of another computer.

• Like 6

the purse must be patient, otherwise it should not be done

before Christmas 2018 she will not be in penny stock anymore ( in my opinion )

Atari has a great product, with very strong people behind the project, but many still doubt it's normal ... but you'll see

Max said it wouldnt be a penny stock by Christmas, and with his stock expertise, he obviously knows a penny stock is anything trading under $5 or euros. So do jump on it now. Its going to five bucks a share within 5 weeks! Local stock experts agree!

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 6

Let's face the obvious... nothing is gonna get this turd anywhere near one euro a share by Christmas.

The only thing that'll stop this slide is the release of the Ataribox, and unless it's a runaway success behind all reason, even that won't move the needle much past a euro. Most of the people that want one have already ordered.

• Like 3

Ok... for those like PowerDubs who like to buy low, break open those pocketbooks. Atari's stock is now even more worthless than it's been in the entire past year. Once it hits Max lvl's one euro, you'll make even moAr money.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20181120-113328_Samsung Internet.jpg

None of that is a surprise to me at all. Lol. It's exactly what I thought would happen if this whole thing was going to turn into a crap show. :P

I'm just surprised that they thought they could do this and raise the stock. xD

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1